1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any last minute tips for a newbie?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by carlyzmom, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlyzmom

carlyzmom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Leaving tomorrow for Houston to spend the night and catch a 7:45 am flight to Vegas Saturday!!! I am so excited!! It's mine and DH first trip to Vegas. We are staying at the Bellagio to celebrate our 20th anniversary.

We are going to Mystere and Jubilee. Also have reservations for Top of the World restaurant. Past that, we are going to kind of wing it. Just sight see, gamble a little bit and make a trip to Freemont St.

Any last minute tips or tricks anyone would like to share for some newcomers?

2. GaGirl74

GaGirl74 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am such a lurker on this board and never post but I wanted to say my hubby and I are leaving Saturday for our 2nd trip to Vegas and are staying at Bellagio also. Have fun! It is a great hotel. We stayed there last time also!

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry you are all so new here. A newbie should really scan through postings from the past 2-4 weeks to get a good feel of things.

Good news still... you will have a great time.

4. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tips for Vegas

Pack some comfortable shoes and flip-flop sandals. You will be doing a lot of walking in hotels so you need the most comfortable shoes you already own.
    Leave the high heels in your hotel room.lol.

You must get the free 'Vegas Guide Booklet" as soon as you arrive in Vegas.
    It has a map of the hotel locations and the events for the days you will be there.

Learn to walk the BRIDGES to cross the streets. There is a Bridge that goes from the Bellagio to Caesars Palace.... and there is a Bridge to cross the street to go to Ballys and Paris Hotel.
    There are escalators and hidden elevators everywhere. So if you see stairs...look for the elevators.

Vegas has dry heat and no mosquitos. Yea! Carry a bottle of water.

I think you will be using taxi's but you can also take the local bus to go
    downtown to the Freemont street in the evening when the place is lighted up. Go visit the Golden Nugget and see their large fish tank.lol.
    It is a beautiful hotel.

Most people like to go eat at "Mon Ami Gabi" at the Paris Hotel so make sure to make a reservation for that French restaurant. The name means..
    "My friend Gabriel".

Don't bother eating at Mexican restaurants because the food can't compare to San Antonio River Walk Mex-Tex food. LOL.

There is entertainment everywhere. Just not enough time to do it all.

Yal come back now... you hear....lol. LucyR.

5. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think winging it is a solid plan, seriously. Every time I try to plan a bunch of stuff to do on a Vegas trip much of it goes out the window because something else catches my attention/interest instead. There will definitely be plenty to see and do, regardless of planning.

The Bellagio fountains are always fun to see, and since you're staying there you'll get to see them plenty!

6. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Make sure you let the check in clerk know it's your anniversary and it's your first trip - that seems to get folks room upgrades more than the $20 tip (though don't be afraid to reward them if they hook you up).

Other than that, you seem to have a handle on things - you haven't over-planned, it seems. Walk the strip, take in the sights and do whatever looks like fun. Oh, and eat well! With great eats at pretty much any price point, there's no excuse not too.

Good luck, congrats and have a great trip!

7. carlyzmom

carlyzmom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you so much!! Glad you told me about the Mexican. We have the BEST Mexican restaurants here in S.E. Texas so I'm sure we would be disappointed! I really appreciate all the great tips!!

8. carlyzmom

carlyzmom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you said that. I didn't want to pack too much into our schedule. We should have plenty of time to add in what we want to.

I'll try that. Should I try the $20 trick anyway - in addition to telling them that? We have a Resort Deluxe, but an upgrade would be sweet!

9. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you have just enough planned to celebrate your big event.
    Congratulations on your 20th, by the way. :wave:

For your first time, it is an excellent idea not to plan too much.
    Just being in the moment, taking it all in and enjoying your time together
    will make it all worthwhile.

You will have a great time. And good luck! :beer:

10. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    well

All i can give ya is a big congrats on yer 20th anniversary--Eat good--Drink heavy and Win big---:beer:

11. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would, yes.

Dunno how long you're staying but having 2 shows and a nice dinner is more than enough for planning. Like the others said, just wing the rest of it!

12. carlyzmom

carlyzmom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you so much! I could not be any more excited!! :woohoo:

13. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will echo the sentiments of comfortable footwear. Vegas is always a lot of walking, and in summer heat, the walking can wear down feet even more. This is not the time for cheap sandals or not broken in shoes.

Stay hydrated. Its very hot and very dry and you are likely to be drinking some. Mix in bottled water with your drink orders, and either buy some to keep in your room and take a long on walks or buy them while walking the strips (there will be guys with coolers selling them for a buck near pedestrian bridges).

If you are going to try walking the strip (or a good length of it) as a general sightseeing thing, evening would be the best time. Will be less scorching hot, and good time to see the fountains/volcano/pirate battle shows if you're interested in them.

Also, if you are looking for other shows while winging it, find a tix4tonite booth (near MGM or Fashion Show mall) for discounted or half price shows. They also have some discount vouchers for restaurants to try.

14. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have fun and enjoy yourself thats all I can say !!

15. tapakip

tapakip Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats to both of you!

My only advice for people is always what they'll need to adjust to the desert climate. Bring sunscreen and moisturizer, eyedrops, chapstick, lozenges, etc. Or stop at CVS/Walgreens while there.

Have a great time.

16. carlyzmom

carlyzmom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good ideas! I live in S.E. Texas where it is always 100% humidity!! I'll probably shrivel up.

17. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You mentioned you were eating at Top Of The World - you can get a coupon for that restaurant at www.Restaurant.com - you can save quite a bit of money by purchasing certificates on restaurant.com (you can get a $25.00 certificate for only $10.00 so you are basically getting $15.00 off for free). And they also have an app so if you don't have access to a printer because you are staying in Houston for the night, you can just download the app to your iphone or ipad and show the server the coupon and have it applied to your bill. Here is the link below to make it easier for you!

http://www.restaurant.com/listing/?pagesize=10&sorting=Relevance&searchradius=5&attribute_value_string|Alphabetical=T&zip=89101

oh and if you decide to do room service breakfast at Bellagio I have only four words for you: Maryland Crab Cake Benedict. You can thank me later! lol...this dish is also available at Cafe Bellagio but the room service version is even better.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  18. carlyzmom

carlyzmom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sweet! Thanks for that! Just got it!

19. milehiman

milehiman VIP Whale

My biggest tip besides the shoes is pace yourself. The first time I went to Vegas I went crazy and went overboard - too much drinking, walking, etc. I paid for it the next day. I felt like crap and didn't want to do anything but just try to recover. There is just so much to do and it's so easy to go overboard that you might miss some stuff.

20. cloudi63

cloudi63 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on the 20 years! I know you've left already, but I truly hope you all have an awesome time! and the mexican food in Vegas doesn't compare at all to New Mexico, it's pretty awesome here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.