1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Would you wait for the WAX to save money?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Candy Apple, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm thinking of spending the first two nights at the GN. Flight is supposed to arrive on a Thursday morning at 11:05 AM. WAX only runs once an hour. Next one scheduled to leave at noon. I don't even know where to find the WAX (other than ground zero) so I'm thinking if we get our luggage and dawdle perhaps it would be what, 11:30? Would you kill another half hour in the airport to spend only $4.00 getting downtown? I figure a cab would be $30.00. Shuttle would be $20.00 with tip. This is not a question for those where money is no object. If you were on a tight budget would you just wait for the WAX?

2. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have waited up to 45 minutes for the WAX, and I would gladly do so again. Especially if arriving at the hour you mention; since there's a chance it will be too early to check-in, but you'll be downtown just in time for lunch (the WAX takes 25-30 mins to get downtown, and drops you off right by the Golden Nugget).
    You mentioned the price being $4.00. I'm assuming you mean this for two people at 2 bucks each (or one person roundtrip?). Because the WAX is $2 one-way, and you can pay in cash (provided you have exact change) on the bus. Just wanted to clarify that point.

Anyway, once you find the escalator in baggage claim that takes you to Zero Level, walk through the automatic glass doors and turn right. You'll walk past plenty of limos and shuttles, and there will be a bus stop area with a sign that says "Bus Stop Here" or something to that effect. There are plenty of benches for sitting, so if you have 1/2 hour to kill and it is nice outside, it's a decent place to sit and chat with the other frugal tourists.

In terms of time spent waiting (you mention about 30 minutes), this is likely not any more time than you would spend waiting for a shuttle; since the shuttle companies wait for the shuttle to fill up before taking off. Additionally, you could potentially spend 30 minutes or more in the cab line wading through the zig-zag maze before you're picked up and potentially long-hauled.

Anyway, there's my two cents. I think the WAX is great! But then again, I am someone who frequently uses public transit in my hometown and elsewhere.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  3. gerry53

gerry53 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we tried the wax from fremont to the airport a couple of trips ago and we were thrilled how quick and painless it was.

we don`t arrive till close to 11 pm in july so not sure if the wax is still running that late. If it is we will likely try it again.

4. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    dont just think how long you will wait for the bus but add in how long it will take the bus to get downtown.

is this how you want to start your vacation?

5. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    jimbo, yes, I was figuring $2.00 per person.

Cousin Eddie, it's supposed to take another 25 minutes to get downtown. That's not too much more after the four and a half hour flight I'll just get off.

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just don't understand the "thrill" of Las Vegas if the mind-set is about saving $20... I'm sorry I don't get it. I also have the luxury of getting most of my visits reimbursed, so I'm probably not a good one to talk. I know most (including me) aren't high rollers, but waiting at the airport in order to catch the bus to kick-off my time in Vegas? Not for me!

7. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i would definitely wait to save money :thumbsup:

8. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does it ever really go like that?

Our last three trips to Las Vegas all arrived at least 30 minutes late... then it can take 15-20 minutes to get off the plane and out to baggage claim, possibly longer if you have to ride that airport tram... then once you get to baggage claim it can be another 10-15 minutes just to wait for luggage to come up.

I would take the taxi.

To spend 30 minutes at the airport and 30 minutes on the bus... thats an hour. Since I will be traveling with my with there will be two.

Going with the $30 fare that means the taxi will cost $26 more than taking the bus... which is $13 per hour per person.

My free time while on vacation is worth a heck of a lot more to me than $13 an hour.

And I wouldn't look at it like "another 30 minutes isn't so bad when we just came off a four and a half hour flight" because to me that is actually a better argument for taking a taxi:

If I just spent 30 minutes getting to my local airport, then after checking in sat at the terminal for 30-45 minutes, then the plane boarded and we sat in our seats for another 30 minutes before take off... then the four and a half hour flight...

At that point by the time we get to Las Vegas I'm going to be tired, probably a little stressed out and I'm going to want to just get to the hotel so I can check in and go up to my room, change my clothes and start my vacation.

And on top of all that the Golden Nugget has a notoriously slow check in process, so you could be adding on another 30-45 minutes to your whole experience.

9. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I understand your thoughts, Auggie, but like someone else mentioned, chances are I couldn't get into my hotel room at noon anyway. I figure the machines will get my money soon enough so I'm not one to hurry to start gambling.

10. Sdebruyne

Sdebruyne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm all about saving a buck here and there, but when my plane lands, I wouldn't want to waste a minute waiting for a bus when I am SO close to heaven! In a few short weeks (ok, they will actually be very LONG weeks), I will be there and I will NOT be the person waiting for the bus! I will be getting a cab and starting my vacation ASAP! :woohoo:

11. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My question; is waiting for the WAX any slower than waiting for a cab? How long does it take for the WAX to get you to your destination? Other people in here can answer this better, but that cab line gets pretty long doesn't it?

12. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried to make that point in my original post to this thread, but I'm not sure if it made much traction.

13. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thinking in terms of chances: it is more likely that your room is ready and you can check in at noon, than not.

And I wasn't necessarily saying anything about gambling or doing anything otherwise: you were asking if I would save the money and wait around to take the bus... I have no problem taking public transit (at home or in Las Vegas) and I am not a High Roller when I go to Las Vegas, in some ways I can be frugal at times.

So I have no problem with wanting to save money, but this is just one of those things that I personally would not try to save money on.

14. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $26 more to hit a royal

I would take the WAX! It might be just as time saving as the other options and you save the money to enjoy your activities or meals. If money was no object and your time was very short then the other option would be more
    appropriate. Good Luck and I hope to enjoy whatever you decide.

15. weas

weas Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Vegas Deals

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take the Wax, I always do when not renting a car.. I can think of lots of way to spend the $26.00 you will save, nice lunch for two or even a good dinner if you have 2 for 1 coupons. I have played for an hour or more
    on slots for less than $20.00 or a session of Bingo at the Plaza.

The bus is never crowded and you don't have to worry about being long hauled.

16. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you get in early, and have more than 1/2 hour wait, you can take a cab, if you're late you might only have a few min wait. i took the wax 2 weeks ago, it takes 1/2 hour to drop you by the walgreens(a block away).
    By the way, I took the bus for 2 bucks each way and lost over a grand gambling, every twenty counts you know.:beer:

17. GMS

GMS Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have and I would again. It's great!

If you get it in rhythm with your arrival, the WAX is absolutely a fantastic way to go. I arrived around 10 minutes prior to it hitting Zero Level last trip, and it was a smooth and flawless ride into downtown. I even caught a "pay it forward" bonus; someone left three unfinished 24-hour tickets in the machine dispenser with about 12 hours left on each ticket. A smart rider noticed this and shared the bounty with me, so my ride into downtown (and back from a trip to Riviera later that day) was free as well!

I understand the general impatience with getting a trip started, but this is one scenario where if the stars align, it is a fantastic way to go. The bus ride itself is very speedy and direct, and the fare cannot be beat.

WAX schedule is here: http://www.rtcsnv.com/transit/route/westcliff/westcliff(05-20-12).pdf

If it fits, it rocks!

18. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

There are two basic trains of thought here concerning how you value your time. Many folks like Cousineddie don't want to wait to get going in Vegas. On the other hand, I am self-employed and run a couple of small businesses myself which means I work 7 days a week. For me Vegas is time away.... I go for7-10 days usually and I DON'T want to rush. The plane ride is about 6-7.5 hours depending if it is nonstop or not, and I don't mind relaxing at the airport after getting my luggage. i can pick up a free magazine and look for new shows, coupons, etc, grab an ice cream or coffee and just relax. I have never had to wait very long for a shuttle, and waiting for a cab may not be quicker than the bus, and a cab isn't going to get you downtown much quicker than the WAX. I have taked the WAX about 5 times and even with stops it was just about 30 minutes......1.00 (I'm a senior) and no tip......no worry about long hauling etc.

I have heard so many people talk about long waits at the bus stop and at the shuttle stand. I wonder how many of those I see waiting in line for a free deck or used cards, a free fresbie, or a free pull of the slot at a casion? It just depends on how you value your time.....no right and wrong way......just what works for you! I like to sleep til I wake, eat when I'm hungry, explore when I have the urge, sightsee or go to theater when I am motivated etc. I am on vacation. Public transportation is part of my "big city" experience (I live in a town of 3,000). I do a lot with the money I spend in LV and people think I am loaded cause I go to Vegas every year. You couldn't visit where I live near Lake Winnipesaukee for double what I pay in LV unless you stayed with friends or relatives.I don't know of may places in the US where you could have the variety of things to see and do as you find in LV, for what it costs to stay there (excluding gambling, of course).

Jimbo338

19. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have used the WAX a couple of times and thought it was an excellent way to get Downtown. A much more pleasant experience than the ranting cab driver that took us to Excalibur last trip.

20. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really don't think I'll mind waiting a half hour and it may be even less. I hear so much about rude cab drivers that I'm less happy about starting my vacation off THAT way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.