1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Travel Funds Item

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by VegasDog, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasDog

VegasDog High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I learned something new about SW travel funds today. We booked a trip to Vegas last August 2 for November, and rebooked two days later for a cheaper fare. So my wife and I each had $72 to be used before 8/2/12. In March we booked flights to Chicago for about $185, so we used $72 in travel funds, then had to pay $113 for each ticket. Last month we changed our mind and decided to take a trip with our kids. We cancelled our flights knowing that we would lose our $72 credit from last year's trip.

So this morning I went to book our November trip to Vegas and tried to apply the $113 credit and it would not let me do it. I called SW and they told me that since I used travel funds to pay for the Chicago trip and then cancelled it, the entire $185 would expire on August 2. I said that it seems to me that $72 should expire on 8/2 and that the $113 should expire in March 2013. Apparently that is not how it works.

The people that I spoke with we're very nice and they worked with me to give me refund of that $113. They also offered to extend my travel credit 6 months, but I would not have been able to book today and use those funds as they cannot extend until after the credits expire.

So keep this in mind in the future if you are trying to use travel funds like this. And also remember that it pays to be nice to the people trying to help you!

2. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oh wow, who knew??? thanks for the heads up!:nworthy:

3. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That unused travel funds rule has been in effect with SWA for a LONG time.
    And, it is exactly as you explain ... once you attach an older credit fund to a new reservation, ALL of the "new" payment funds take on that older date of use, in the case that you want to rebook. And just to be clear, that "date of funds" is NOT the date that you must make a reservation ... it's the expiration date that must actually FLY on.

You were VERY fortunate that the reservation clerk gave you that "belated" refund. Gotta love SWA.

4. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Airline rules

I think all airlines have that rule. There is an expiration date from the original flight booked and then cancelled.

I have $50. of travel funds for Delta but I don't plan to use it because if I should book with Delta and then cancel the Flight. I LOSE $150. for their cancellation fee which is too high to lose.

I have lost money on jetBlue because I chose to cancel and never used the travel funds left on my account.
    I also have lost $200. on Virgin airlines since I never used the travel funds.
    I also lost $200. on CanadaAir since I never used the travel funds.

My main point is.... that it is too risky to book a flight with other airlines that charge a cancellation fee.

Southwest airline doesn't charge a cancellation fee so I feel real safe in booking with them knowing that all of my money will be put in a travel fund.
    "WHEW".....
    Yesterday I was able to use up all of my travel funds with booking a new flight with Southwest. It is great and a better deal with Southwest.

Buh...Bye... other airlines that charge a cancellation fee. Lucy

5. savage810

savage810 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did not know that and I fly SWA. Thanks for the heads up.

6. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have rebooked and got a credit several times but usually don't use it. Years ago it was transferable but no longer.......still it is nice that SWA doesn't charge for cancelllations. I too learned about their policy re using credits and they were gracious......and I love SWA!

Jimbo338

7. nubia11

nubia11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to see this post. I'm planning to use funds that expire in September for our next flight to LV. I thought that the SWA credits might work this way but I wasn't 100% certain. Thanks for saving me a phone call! Now, I just have to decide whether to commit to the fare now or roll the dice and see if they drop.

8. Countessa

Countessa Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LUV Vouchers are transferable but any funds associated with a cancelled confirmation number must be used by the same traveler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.