1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I get loud like JLO when...

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by LucyR., Jun 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you know the song... "Lets Get Loud" sung by Jennifer Lopez?

I went to go eat dinner at the Paris Hotel Buffet on June 4, 2012.

Since I travel alone.....I eat alone. I am a single senior WOMAN who has
    been eating alone in restaurants for 40years. I was only married 10yrs.
    when I was young and foolish.

I go up to the register and I hand over my Total Rewards Gold card and my I.D. I say to the female clerk that I am pre-paid and want a table for one person.
    The clerk stares at me.... and says.."Are you sure you want a table by yourself?" I answer, "yes". Then she asks me again.... if I really wanted a table by myself". She is looking at me like if I don't understand her questions. I then say real LOUD...."YES, I AM EATING ALONE... AND I NEED A TABLE BY MYSELF!!! Then a single gal behind me told the cashier that she also was eating alone. I invited her to join me. We started laughing and became fast friends.

For many years I have had the problem of going to restaurants and the waiters sometimes say real loud..."Are you eating by yourself!!!" I aways say real loud, "YES I AM...POOR ME... I AM ALL ALONE!! Then I laugh at them.
    I am starting to think of a better come back with a better answer.
    I was thinking of saying real loud that I have been eating by myself for 40yrs. just like men have been doing all of their lives.

I am just venting. Don't blame the victim/me. If you haven't had that experience then you don't know what it is like.
    It is the year 2012.... and people still haven't learned that we females have money to buy our own meals and are free to eat alone. LucyR.

2. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm surprised to hear that, Lucy. I made my first (and only) solo trip to Vegas several years back. I felt a bit awkward eating alone the first one or two times, but then I got used to it. No one questioned me when I said "table for one". What I didn't like about being alone was, when there's two of us, one of us will stay at the table while the other gets more food. With one person, they don't know if you're re-filling your plate or if you've left. One time, at Harrah's buffet, the server did clear my table thinking I had left. If I was finished, I would have left a tip...then she would have known I was gone. She quickly brought me another drink.

3. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sometimes find myself having to eat alone when traveling for business and have never had someone question that I wanted a table for one - I guess that's because I'm a man?

4. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I traveled for business, I ate alone many,many times and never had anyone question it. Maybe she was concerned for you, Lucy because of your age.

5. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I dine alone I prefer to to eat at a bar, even at nice restaurants. I usually enjoy chatting with the bartender and other patrons. For instance, last year at Bartolotta's bar I did a full tasting menu solo. I had a great time and wouldn't have changed a thing!

6. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Everybody!

Hi Candy, I always leave something of mine on the buffet table so they know I am still there. I usually leave a sweater on my chair or dark glasses on the table. I do worry about them cleaning the table too.

I also make sure in a restaurant that I am not seated at a table near the kitchen doors. They try to do that to me sometimes in restaurants eventhough there are lots of empty tables. One time I told them I was going to leave.

Hi Queuetee, I have been having that problem since I was in my 30's.
    So it has nothing to do with my senior age.
    One time I was in a restaurant and it was lunch time. I was enjoying my meal and the place was almost empty. A large group of people showed up
    and the manager came up to me and asked me if I could be moved to another table because they needed my table. He said they could move me to a table near the kitchen door. I pointed to another area and he said that area was closed.
    Then all of a sudden I got super angry and yelled at him something. I also told him I wasn't moving from my table.
    There must be something about me that says I can be pushed around and picked on. I need to get an attitude adjustment and act like super-woman.

Pop Megaphone, I tried to eat at the Burger Place at the Paris Hotel. They said I could sit at the bar and order food since the place was so crowded.
    I asked for a menu at the Bar. The bartender acted like he really didn't want to serve me food. He gave me the menu and walked away. I decided I didn't need to eat at a place where the bartender was not friendly. I WALKED OUT.

I have eaten at the Bars before and had a nice time. I wonder if it is just the Paris Hotel food places that has a bad attitude. I also had a problem at their
    Coffee Shop where I ordered a salad to take-out. I said I wanted romaine lettuce on my salad. It was written on my receipt what I wanted.
    But when I got to my hotel room it didn't have romaine lettuce. I was
    disapointed. Plus, I wanted a bread roll and I was told I had to buy three rolls and not one. I declined.

I am starting to see.... that maybe I shouldn't stay at the Paris Hotel for December. I have reservations with them. All of my problems were with them at their food places. Hummm...... I think I will cancel my reservation with them. There are plenty of other hotels that have been real nice to me. Plus, their hotel rooms are small as compared to other hotels. They look clustophobic. My new friend was staying at the Paris and I saw her room.
    It was a pretty room but too small. Plus, it had a fat old t.v. I was surprised to see that.

I have been going to Vegas for many years and never had a problem.

I think I need to learn to be more assertive with restaurant personnel.
    I am glad I brought up this problem with you all because now I can see
    I need an attitude adjustment too. Plus, I don't need to eat at a hotel that
    gives me grief. I want to eat at places that are happy places for me. Lucy

7. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know why the hostess was so rude to you. I've eaten by myself in Las Vegas (and many other cities when on business travel) and have never had that problem. I'm tiny (5'1" and 103lbs), and certainly not "powerful" in appearance, yet I've never encountered that disrespectful attitude.

8. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hmm maybe it's a simple miscommunication. Hostesses have to seat people so as not to overwhelm a particular server and also take into consideration party sizes when seating. Unfortunately odds are a single person won't order & tip as much as a full 4 top. Maybe she was just thinking aloud about where to seat you & clarifying that you were alone.

I dine alone & when the waiter asks me if I am dining alone I assume they are asking if my husband/friend/child/whoever is in the restroom/not here yet/paring the car/whatever, no malice intended. They just want to be sure & bring back the correct amount of waters/menus/whatever.

People don't usually intend to hurt one another, some are just clumsy with their words.

When we Were Young
  9. MisterJJ

MisterJJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Next time it happens do this:

Hang an arm in mid air like you would be putting it around someones shoulder. Then loudly announce, "No, I'm here with my invisible friend, Chester. Just don't stare at him... he gets VERY angry when people stare at him".

10. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buffets

The procedure of eating at buffets in Vegas: I paid in the morning and the information was infused in my RT Gold Card for the 24hr. buffet, at the Paris Hotel.
    Step 2 - I meet up with a worker who writes down what I am drinking and she writes it down and then gives it to the person who finds a seat for me.
    Then a waitress shows up and looks at what is written on the paper.
    The waitress clearly sees that I am eating alone and doesn't say word about me eating alone.

I ate lunch at the Planet Hollywood buffet. The same procedure is used there too. Nobody asked me if I was with someone.

At 6p.m. which is a very slow time at the Paris Hotel Buffet....
    I went to eat an early dinner. The problem was with the CASHIER. She is the one who was rude to me. I said to her, "I am pre-paid and here is my gold card and my I.D. very clearly." I then said I wanted a table for just me.
    She is the one who asked me if I was alone. I said, "yes". Then she asked me again which made me really angry. Thats when I got loud. She tried to make excuses and said she thought I was with some other people.
    I said to her I paid for myself and I asked for a table for just me. "How can you say you misunderstood".
    Then I met that single gal and I invited her to sit with me.

Everybody in line saw and heard what happened to me with the cashier.
    They all totally agreed with me that the cashier was at fault.

The worker who was to find us a table took us to a back room that had no windows and was far from the buffet. I told her that room was not acceptable since there were plenty of tables near the buffet.

We had to walk back and wait for someone else to find us another table.
    Like I said... there were plenty of empty tables. We were then seated at a nice area.
    I didn't eat much since I had lost my appetite. The food was cold anyway.
    there wasn't anything exciting or fun to eat anyway.
    I just had fun talking with my new friend.

My new friend and I ate breakfast at Harrahs buffet the next morning.
    Everybody was so nice to us. We had a wonderful breakfast. Lucy

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.