1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Can I vent a bit?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by leo21, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got back and I am probably going to write a TR but there are a few things about air travel I need to get off my chest to clear my head before I can process my trip. I am probably being too bitchy and oversensitive but so be it. :grrr:

Why is it that the people who slow the TSA line down because they don't know what they are doing always seem to be on your flight? You want to bitch about them but you don't because they may overhear you.

And speaking of TSA, when will McCarren start having the right number of agents at the gates and stop being a clusterf*ck? They were set up as if it were the middle of the night, not prime hours and the set up encouraged jams. Finally, are they trying to set a record for most people getting the scans at McCarren? More people were sent through the machine than through the regular scanner. Don't they know about radiation risks?

Not to be indelicate, but why do people of a certain age go out of their way to cut off everyone when their group is boarding the plane but take a year and a day to walk down the jetway?

Between the lady who couldn't speak English and wouldn't stop talking while standing in the aisle when we were about to land, the idiot trying to use the bathroom while we were slowly making our way to the runway to take off, the dumbasses who got up and were trying to open compartments while we were on the way to the gate when we were told to stay seated and the stupid MFs that wouldn't stay in their seats after the captain said to stay seated due the turbulance from the storm we were flying in, I am shocked the two flights weren't met by the cops or an ambulance. I mean, seriously! I had visions of an incident happening and going on the news saying the idiots got what they deserved.

And finally, what is the damn obsession with using the bathroom on the plane. I appreciate that when you got to go, you go but why are people using while we are still on the ground and the plane is still boarding or the instant we hit 10k feet? My parents always taught me to go before you left on trip. Is that too hard for a plane full of adults to do? Those bathrooms creep me out and I do all I can to not use them but I swear people were flocking to them as if they were a premier experience of air travel. I just don't get it.

2. tinytim

tinytim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some people don't fly very often and forget certain rules ...such as my friend having to throw out a brand new bottle of sun screen as it was too big for a carry on. Thankfully, I'm able to fly 2-3 times per year for vacation, and when on vacation, I tend to me more tolerant.
    Still...there's no shortage of stupid people.

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hell, i bitch about those kind of people and hope they hear me. maybe it will get them moving their ass along.

4. MisterJJ

MisterJJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At least most passengers in the U.S. are relatively polite.

When I would fly in China it's a whole different ball game. While waiting in line for the ticket counter or security, if you simply turn and look away people will step in front of you. If a new line opens up it is a complete free-for-all and people in the back of the line will join the mad rush for the new line.

On the plane they go through all the same warnings about seat belts and cell phones but most passengers ignore them. Half the plane is texting long after being told to turn off cell phones. The stewardess comes by and tells them to turn the cell phone off and they make the motions of turning it off but they just continue texting.

The worst though is right after the wheels touch the runway on landing, and I do mean the very second after the wheels touch pavement. You hear this clakety-clack of seatbelts flying open and a few seconds later you hear the sounds of cell phones powering up. Before the plane gets to the end of the runway there are several people having conversations on their cell phones and many people are getting up from their seat so they can jam the isle as soon as possible.

I would just laugh at the public service annoucements telling everyone to be polite to each other for a more harmonious society.

5. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Restroom goers fall into many categories...1) those afraid to leave the gate to go, thinking they will "miss" the plane...2) those who have been drinking beer...3) those on meds like diuretics (this would be me, at home I go every 20 minutes TMI)...4) anxiety will make you go more...5) the go while I have a chance, go now so I can sleep after crowd...6) the I am above rules and do what I want crowd....combine these and they need a line of restrooms on planes.

Believe it or not there are many people who have NEVER flown or fly once every 5 years or so...they just don't know the rules, plain and simple.

Then you have the just plain stupid...they are still working on a cure for that. Add the just plain rude ( the ones I hate the most).

Your OP is the reason that On the Fly the newest Southwest show is on the air...the types of people you describe are flying everyday.

Sidenote: My 83 yr old MIL who has flown many times got stopped at the checkpoint coming home from Vegas this year...in her carryon was a HUGE bottle of sunscreen (which she never uses)...her explanation, she didn't "realize" it would be a problem.

6. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's crazy isn't it? I fly several times a year and every single time seem to get behind those people who have never flown or at least haven't flown since 9/11. Apparently taking off your jacket doesn't apply to them. Nor does taking off your belt, taking things out of your pocket. "Oh my gosh, the quarters in my pocket made the machine go off?". Every single time. Most of the time, the TSA people at the luggage belt take a look at me, smile and say "you have done this before huh?". I may annoy the people behind me though, because I will NOT push my luggage thru until the person going thru the scanner is sucessfully thru, because usually I get behind the people who have to go back and forth, back and forth. When the people behind me realize I am not just dilly dallying, I get the knowing raised eyebrow and smile. Cmon people, my 15 year old daughter had been travelling her whole life, and at age 4 she was a better traveler than most people, pulling her own little bag, getting to security and taking her shoes off without being told. And then you have the people, who what? Haven't heard the new flying rules that have been in place for what, OVER TEN YEARS?

I think the deboarding process is 100 times better than it used to be. I think the vast majority of travellers wait now for their row to be next to leave. It used to be a complete free for all. People would inevitably run down the aisle as soon as the plane stopped. Oh, I forgot, YOUR time is simply more valuable than anyone else. I have literally stepped in front of people before it annoys me so much. I then get "I HAVE A CONNECTING FLIGHT!" I simply respond "So, do I, what time does your leave?" EVERY time it has been after mine and they have nothing to say. The rudeness level is beyond comprehension.

The OP mentioned travelling abroad. I have been to Europe five or so times, and have found that there simply is no personal space. It's weird, but as Americans we feel like we have this bubble around us that no one should invade, but many other countries don't feel the same, and think it is fine to literally be in your face in a line or step in front of you, or whatever. I never understood what that is all about.

Okay, now the bathroom thing, lol. I try to never use the bathroom once in the air, because I am usually at a window seat and don't want to make people get up. But there have been times as I am boarding the plane when I am like "oh geez, why didn't I have to go five minutes ago" and try to use the facilities before the plane takes off. So yeah, you can put me in "that" group. But it certainly isn't because I like to. LOL

I wonder if anyone else notices that when flying TO somewhere I am much more tolerant, especially to Vegas. I have the 'whatever' mentality. It is coming home, I get much more peeved. Exhausted and usually broke and generally sad to leave. :confused2:

Plus, I seriously think LAS has the worst airport ever, and I fly out of Ohare, lol.

:beer::beer::beer:

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a total rule follower, esp about lines, so it's very difficult for me to travel abroad. If I want to get anywhere, I have to basically become a different person - fight to get through the door, into the aisle, whatever. Flying out of JRO (Kilimanjaro, Tanzania) and the waiting room is a big empty space, then they open two doors to the outside and you sort of walk/run across the tarmac to the airplane stairs.

In China - I did find that very few people had large carry-ons, so at least I had plenty of bin space for my bag:thumbsup:

However, if the alternative is staying home and not seeing fabulous things all over the world, well, I'll take dealing with idiots and air travel (and alcohol....):peace:

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can answer that one.

If your time is a little tight and you don't have time for a bio break because your plane is about to board, it's very convenient. Not very comfortable and quite cramped, but it's there and it satisfies the need.

9. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My best friend is a horrible flyer and commits just about every offense listed above. Takes two personal items as well as a stuffed carry-on, packs her bags with oversized liquids and other unacceptable items, makes a huge ordeal out of removing her shoes, taking off her jacket, etc. Her favorite phrase seems to be "stop rushing me". Being behind her in the TSA line is a nightmare, but it's just as bad once inside the plane. She can't lift her own bags up to put overhead, so is always asking for help. Then needs something out of those bags as soon as she sits down. That's after she has smacked and bashed everyone in her path with her belongings. She always wants the window seat, but goes to the bathroom at least once an hour, and will not squeeze by but insists that the middle and aisle persons both get up and into the aisle since she is so heavy. She refuses to put on her seatbelt and pretends like it is fastened because she is too large to wear it without an extender. She boasts to me "you'd be amazed at the stuff I get away with while flying." I've vowed never to travel with her again.

10. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sam, I am wondering if your best friend is my relative from Chicago. Seriously, sounds like one in the same :evillaugh

:beer::beer::beer:

11. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone who can't get to the airport bathroom and back in the time it takes over 100 people to get on board an aircraft probably shouldn't be leaving home at all. That's a safe 25 minutes to play with once boarding is announced, plus all the time leading up to that announcement...

As for stupid things I've seen at security, the best is a woman who had 3 bottles of wine in a cloth shopping bag. And she raised a bloody hell when they were taken from her. I've seen little kids zip through the lines with the efficiency of an expert, but those elderly people can be indignant. My own mom loves to say "they can't tell me what to do", and she still padlocks all her checked luggage. Amazingly, it's never been cut off, so she smirks at me and tells me that I don't know everything.

12. Gregg19

Gregg19 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL Great post! Made me think of Adam Sandler playing his sister in Jack and Jill!

13. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm amazed at the definition of ONE carry-on:

Multiple shopping bags, large laptop bag, purse, roller bag (that rarely fits), and finally the open top canvas bag (with contents spilling out).

Nick:beer:

14. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No kidding. I will not be one who is upset when they all start charging for carry-ons.

15. Kape

Kape Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    bathroom

Regarding the washroom use. It is possible some people have conditions, such as an enlarged prostate (yes Gerard) or prostatitis, bladder infection, bladder instability (the list could go on) which make it very uncomfortable when you have to go and make your bladder want to empty at low volumes and yes stress does not help. I had been waiting for my trip last Sept since the Feb before and 1 week out I got a prostate infection, I had to get out of my seat while we were still climbing to use the washroom, I had no choice, it was either that or use an empty water bottle.

16. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bathroom use doesn't bother me - I drink a gallon of water a day; I'm in the bathroom all the time. Bodily functions - what can you do? But preventable stuff - that's annoying. Some gate agents are enforcing carry-on limits & sizes more often - and I applaud them when they do so!

17. Vegasing

Vegasing Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    *raises hand*

That would be me. I always make sure I go at least twice before boarding, but once we are up in the air, my marble-sized bladder is screaming at me again. Chasing the beer with plenty of water doesn't help either.

But unless I'm sitting in First Class (which we almost always do when flying to LAS), I'll sit in the aisle seat so I don't disrupt my row mates.

:beer:

18. LushLife

LushLife Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just give yourself plenty of time. You won't be stressed. If you can.

I'll be getting to the airport 4 hours before my flight, but that is because I'll be at the brewpub :beer:

19. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who says they're just peeing in the airplane toilet? :evillaugh Oh, irritable bowel humour. Cracks me up every time.

It sounds like you had a rough time though. I hope your next flights are smoother.

20. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flying sucks. Although it beats every other way of getting to, say, Hawai'i.

Like most every rant/lament around here as to how fill-in-the-blank was so much better in yesteryear, a huge part of the inconvenience would go away if people weren't so self-centered and brain-cramped. Bottom line.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.