1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wedding Dress on SWA

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by kingpasty, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingpasty

kingpasty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone ever had any experience with Southwest and traveling with a wedding dress? My bride to be understandably doesn't want to check the dress, but where in the heck would they put it on the plane? She's found several folks online that say they will accommodate (one even said the pilot hung her's in the cockpit), but wanted to see if any of my VMBers have had any experience! Thanks a ton :nworthy:

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I asked about this a couple of flights ago on SWA. I didn't want to fold my suit and I have one of those luggage hangers that you hang clothes on and then zipper up. Flight attendant told me the only place for it was in the overhead, folded in half.

Now maybe a pretty bride to be :wink2:might get a different answer than I did, but there are no hanging areas in their planes in the passenger area.

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    on most planes there is a closet in first class where they hang jackets and such. now since SWA doesn't have first class i don't think, who knows what they've done with that space. as far as a suit, that's easy enough to get pressed once you get to town. but a wedding dress is a different story.

probably the best option for the wedding dress is packing it and shipping it via FedEx/UPS.

4. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would ship it too. Not just SW, but 2 airports, taxis, etc. Anything could happen.

5. squidward

squidward Probationary Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's a short flight she could just wear it. Sit down carefully and not cinch up the seat-belt too tightly?

OK, stupid idea, I'll just shut-up now and go back to finishing my trip report.

6. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    in general, airplane personnel will hang the dress in a closet as a courtesy. but as another poster mentioned about no first class in swa, you will need to put it in overhead. i've put suits in overhead before, and it turned out ok since i was able to just lay it over other people's luggage (you need cooperation from other passengers for that to work though). whether she can hang it in a closet or fold it in overhead, she might want to look into steaming services either through your wedding venue or the hotel you're staying at. it's not uncommon for destination brides to get their dresses steamed once they are in the wedding city. most hotels can recommend a service that will pick up the dress, steam it, and deliver it back to you.

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What we are missing here is how big this dress is. Some wedding dressed are just slightly bigger/bulkier than a cocktail dress. Some are big enough to cover a small village.

Too many variables here.

Frequent travelers will tell you that wrapping clothes in dry cleaning type plastic bags helps reduce wrinkles. Keep that in mind.

8. kingpasty

kingpasty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the replies! We TOTALLY forgot that there is an older couple that is driving to Tahoe and are going to make it to Vegas for our wedding. We're just going to send the dress with them hanging up in their car. Problem solved! Thanks again guys, it's awesome to always be able to count on such great advice and prompt replies :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.