1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Viva elvis revisited

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by sammasseur, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Went on a whim last night to try it again and see the improvements. It's actually pretty good now, ironic since it is closing. 930 show more than two thirds empty. Bought a category D side seat and as relocated to a sofa in second row center, if that tells you anything.

2. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to hear it, Sam. And thanks for posting. I was just going to start a thread asking whether the show was worth the time. I can get free tickets for my July trip. But from the reviews I read when the show opened, I wasn’t sure it would be worth taking up 90 minutes of my trip. I may just have to give it a go this time.

3. GREGRIO

GREGRIO VIP Whale

VIVA ELVIS has it's moments...I was entertained and from what Sam
    says, it sounds like you have a good chance of an upgrade in seating.
    This version...the one that's closing is far tighter/works much better
    than the earlier versions, it's worth seeing before it goes away.

4. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There were many many changes from my initial viewing. They got rid of the screaming black woman and the awful Colonel Parker, altho the three cast narrators are very clearly killing time between set changes. They have gotten rid of the silly cha cha shorts during the army scene and majorly upped the beefcake cirque elements. Lots more exposed torsos and rippling bodies. Nice new acts with the diabolos, straps and chair stacking. Another big acrobatic addition during the Viva Vegas finale is a must see. The giant guitar scene is more joyful now and not sad like before. Those two guys now wear body baring costumes too.

5. nikki1978

nikki1978 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw it in March of this year and so wanted it to be good. it did have it's moments, after the show my hubby and I talked about what we'd change if we were in charge

6. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We saw it in previews when it first started.
    Lots of issues I won't bore anyone with.
    Hated the Colonel Parker stuff...which was just awful, since he was the narrator of the show.

Best thing? The rocking live band.
    Excellent. Fantastic, Just great.

Bossanova wasn't so bad either. Loved the fringes on the dancer. She worked it well.

Not a great show but I'm pleased to have seen it.

7. Carter29072

Carter29072 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We saw it a couple of years ago and loved it. Me and hubby are going back in a couple of week and I think we want to grab some tickets. Should we go ahead a book (I always book my shows before I go) or should I just grab two tickets when I get there since it looks like there are plenty of empty seats? How can I get some discounted tickets for this show? We are staying at a different hotel. Thanks!

8. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. Leeza14

Leeza14 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw it last summer, and although I enjoyed it overall, it just wasn't as well done as it could have been. I'm so glad to hear of the changes. I may go again this summer just to see what's new but mainly for the band -- the drummer stole the show the night we were there. He was amazing!

10. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would have liked to see this show....we went to buy tickets for our Sept trip but I guess 31 Aug is the last show? Nothing past that date:rolleyes2:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  11. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting time for this to be revived. Just saw last night for third and final night. Once again, theater less than one third filled. Balcony and rear were unused and many empty seats around me in sec 101 row J. Passive audience wasn't applauding much in moments that warranted a reaction. Hard to grasp that a major expensive show like this is going out in such an indifferent way.

12. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sam, I have to agree....Vegas seems to have very little patience these days. It's almost as if something is not an immediate hit, it's dead in the water. I'd love to see MGM give it another chance but it doesn't seem likely.

13. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Zarkana is scheduled for an 11/1 opening.
    Elvis really is dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.