1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

i still don't have airfare 3 weeks from my trip!!

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by raraavis, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SW gives you two weeks before everything is jacked up tremendously. I'm going to Vegas in two days, and my flight was only $87 each was three weeks ago when I booked it. And then, exactly two weeks before my flight, it went up to over $300.

2. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yup, i am pretty stuck with my times, so i already knew that would be a problem. i'll have to try out some of those sites that allow for part hotel stays, but i wonder if they can get me a similar $40 a night at bally's that i already have. i already checked priceline, and they don't have airfare cheaper than $550 :cry:.

this isn't just a vacation for us. as i mentioned in an earlier post, we can't reschedule because we need to visit wedding venues in june in order to choose one with enough time to send out save the dates on time (it's a destination wedding, so we are trying to give our family and friends ample notice). we also don't want to go to vegas in july or august (too hot, and we already have other travel plans), so we would be postponing our trip until september, which would push our save the dates back too far. i wanted to go to vegas on other dates in june, but i couldn't get time off at work.

thanks for the tip! if i booked sw and then found a cheaper flight on a different airline, can i cancel my sw flight without cost to me? would i have a credit for a future flight with sw then?

we're still waiting on booking because we don't know yet if my fiance will be flying from here (newark) or phoenix. i mean of course i could book without him, but if he does end up flying from here, it would probably be hard to get on the same flight as me or even sit near me. we don't need to be on the same flight of course, but it would be nice to fly those 5 hours (more travel time if you include the layovers) with him.

thanks everyone for the suggestions!:thumbsup:

3. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    holy cow! :eek: i can't imagine what it would be if the airfare that i am looking at goes up from what it is now ($500+)!

4. theshaah

theshaah High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe if you book SWA and you cancel you will only get the credit. Not a refund. So if you booked your flight and paid 300...if you canceled they would give you a 300 dollar credit to use at a later date within 1 year I think. If you booked a flight at 300 and the price went down to 200 you would cancel your original 300 dollar flight and rebook at the 200 dollar price with 100 left over to go into your "bank".

5. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thank you!!

6. MNVegasgal

MNVegasgal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I followed the Bing 70% chance your fair will go down, for a month.. it never did.. and we ended up paying the most we have ever paid to fly to Vegas.. .over $500 each. Just booked our October trip.. hubby had a American Express Companion flys for $99 certificate that I found in our e-mail trash bin. (DUH). He has had his Delta Am Ex for 3 years, and you get one certificate a year.. and he has never used them. Finally got it figured out and booked and both of us are flying for a total of $480 (the 99 companion tickets was $120 with all taxes and fees). That is one of the lowet total cost we have had in years... PLUS.. he won 500 at craps a few weeks ago at Turtle Lake.. so Flights are paid for. Now if only my Aria offers would come. I know I could call the host directly.. but she normally takes care of the rooms, but not the extras like Free Play or food comp!

7. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    well technically bing never says that the fares will go down (at least i've never seen it say that). it says "dropping or steady." for us, it's remained steady.

i have to wait for my fiance to set up his travel for work tomorrow. once he does that, i am just going to go ahead and book the $570 southwest flight. that way, worst case scenario i paid $570 for a flight (ouch!). if i do find a better flight, i can just cancel my southwest flight and rebook a flight later (i have lots of places to fly since my family is pretty spread out). i'm just not going to stress about it anymore. is it more than i can afford? yep. but oh well. it is what it is. maybe i'll hit it big in vegas :thumbsup:

8. sddunes

sddunes Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually used a similar companion certificate for our upcoming trip that I received through my Delta Amex and it was actually free (with the exception of about $40 in taxes, etc). It came out of the middle of nowhere so I can only assume that I must've charged a certain amount to trigger it. It definitely made it easier to go as it was only about $400 with the ticket I purchased about 3 weeks out.

I'm not sure if you had the same issue but I noticed only certain flights showed up when you tried using the companion certificate. It actually changed a few times throughout the day before I booked ours.

May want to see if you get any of those or if they may have ended up in the 'trash'.:poke:

9. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i know its rough from the eastcoast, but its a matter of checking prices 2 or 3 times a day. a few weeks ago I found flights for 103$ one way from phil, I would be leaving today! and returning june 4th.. 206rt....but decided against it as I did not want to have to ask work to take off, as it was too late to request off. New VP, and hes making some cost cutting changes with payroll and I wanna stay under the radar incase there is anything else in the pipes.

That was from phil, i just booked from newark july 4th to july 10th for 270rt. I already had the room booked(comped) for this trip almost 3 months now. If I had to pay 500rt I would prob cancel it because I cant afford that.

maybe not doable for some, but I have found the lowest prices very early in the morning like 3-6am and then after that they shoot up. both the examples above were at this time. its just a matter of checking, you can check for 3 weeks, and nothing. then BAM! you get lucky.

10. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    one downside to sw. about 10days before they shoot up to 500$ from the eastcoast.

11. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i actually started looking at the time around july 4th, and i found $370 roundtrip! but i can't switch my days at this point :cry:. plus i don't know if bally's would change my days and keep my current rate (especially since it's a holiday). no point in saving $200 on airfare if my hotel will cost $200 more!

ok, so if they are already at $570, do you think they're still jump?? i remember thinking $350 was pricey for a roundtrip to vegas, but man i would love to see that price now!!

12. kmarcin

kmarcin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [/QUOTE]ok, so if they are already at $570, do you think they're still jump?? i remember thinking $350 was pricey for a roundtrip to vegas, but man i would love to see that price now!![/QUOTE]

Based upon what I see from Southwest, yes the prices could still jump. As an example, prices from Cleveland to Vegas range from $439-$530 each way from now until June 11.

13. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    well the prices went down! ok ok, only by about $80, but i'll take what i can get! so i went to book the cheaper fare ($517), and it disappeared :cry:. i still ended up booking a cheaper fare than what my itinerary was ($580 from newark to vegas). my cost is $540. unfortunately, there is no way i will get those 50,000 points on time for this trip. but that's ok, i know i will be flying again and can use them later. i'm going to keep watching airfare though and see if i can get something cheaper. thanks everyone for your suggestions!!! :wave:

14. Steven Seagal

Steven Seagal Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perhaps try looking at some of the bargain carriers at JFK?

15. Steven Seagal

Steven Seagal Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rara, what are the specific dates you're looking into?? I've seen LGA-LAS (with stops) going for on average ~$430

16. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we don't fly out of jfk or lga. we only fly out of ewr (newark). lga and jfk are too time consuming and too much of a hassle to get to for us. unless the price was like $100 rt, i don't think i'd bother going all the way out to those airports. even when i lived in the city, it was a pain in the butt to get there. thanks though!:wave:

17. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ok! just canceled my $540 flight and rebooked with southwest for $404!!!!! heck yes! :banana: since the cancellation was within 24 hours, i was able to get a full refund and not just sw credits. i am arriving at 10:45pm instead of 9:25 and returning to jersey a day earlier than i planned, but the flight leaving on sunday was $90 more :eek: (but it was an early flight, like get to the airport by 5am kind of early). the saturday flight has me leaving vegas at a reasonable 1:30pm. very very excited that the price dropped! i wish it was non-stop and under $400 like the good ol' days, but i honestly don't think i'll find anything cheaper than what i got. doesn't mean i'm not still going to keep checking until i leave haha:evillaugh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.