1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Did you know?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by V.C., May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V.C.

V.C. Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I called Advantage car rental the other day and was speaking with a nice woman I think in Iowa the other day, and I was asking her if I were to add the "Liability Insurance Supplement" (SLI) to my rental how much it would cost. Her answer to me was that the rate already included that in the price of the total cost! It also included the "Loss Damage Waiver" (CDW) and that the only thing that I needed if I wanted it was the "Personal Accident Insurance / Personal Effects Coverage," (PAI/PEC) which shocked me! You see I have an Amex card which I pay a little extra for their "premium insurance" on my travels. If I rent a car or use my card to book a room or book an air flight it will cover me except for the SLI on a car rental. I told this to the nice woman and she told me, "As long as you don't hit a Mercedes you should be alright as the SLI will cover me up to $50,000" I did not know that! So I guess my question would be, why do car rental agencies try to sell you insurance? Is it legal? :confused2:

2. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just went to the Advantage web site and it says:

LIS (SLI) is $12.95 a day

CDW is $12 - $17 a day

LDW is $22.99 - $29.99 a day

There's nothing there about any of them being included in the base rate.

3. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless you have some kind of a package corp rate, I am pretty sure it is not included. I would check again.

4. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Insurance is required by law to be on every vehicle put on the road- and YES, the car rental companies must put state mandated liability on their vehicles. Liability is what covers whatever you damage- but not the car you damage it with, that is on you. Your credit card or personal insurance may cover that, but you must call them and check.

5. V.C.

V.C. Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I remember the lady telling me something like that now, thank you for reminding me. My credit card does cover my car. Good thing you know what the car rental companies need to provide to us. I couldn't quite remember everything I was so shocked. Again, thank you for your response. :thumbsup:

6. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I worked in that industry at the front counter at 2 international airports for almost 10 years, if anyone ever has any questions about renting a car, I would be happy to help

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    re: Did you know?

Nope.

8. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So my questions is, if I am in a wreck and damage someone or something, and dont have insurance, is the car rental company's insurance going to come after me for the liability they just paid?

9. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They put minimum state mandated liability insurance on their vehicles, as required by state law. If the damage is above and beyond their coverage, then you may get sued. This is standard in any accident. Rental car companies offer ALI, which is "additional liability insurance" which raises the umbrella of coverage to usually a million dollars.

10. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thats good to know. I think the minimum property damage is $10,000. Not much, and definately wont pay if you total any kind of a newer car.

11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've rented from Advantage many times, and I can assure you that Advantage does not include any coverage other than what's required of them as a corporation by law. Yes, there's the obligatory upsell to take out this and that. They don't seem to be as pushy as most when you say your credit card covers it. (Dollar once gave me a major hassle - I don't go there anymore.)

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.