1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hotel safety for solo me...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by LucyR., May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sometimes get the feeling that someone has been in my hotel room when I go to Vegas.
    The Housekeeping people tell me that as long as I have the don't disturb sign that nobody will enter my hotel room when I am not there. I also put
    a note saying I don't need maid service.

Does anybody have some handy hint idea that will prove to me that nobody has entered my hotel room? I remember a long time ago someone told me what to do but I forgot the idea that was given to me. Nervous Nelly

2. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cut and fold a small piece of paper and stick it in the door jamb, if someone enters it'l be on the floor. test it first to make sure it doesn't fall on it's own.

What are you worried they're going to do in there anyway?

3. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless there have been things missing or direct evidence that things have been moved or searched, I don't know why you are concerned about this. But to answer your question, you can also put a piece of scotch tape at the bottom of the door (outside), so if it opens, it will be loose. Put it high or low so that it would not be noticed by anybody but you. If it on the inside, you will disturb it when you open the door

4. MisterJJ

MisterJJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Paper trick works well. I used it when I rented a room and thought that the person I was renting from was going into my locked room while I was gone (they were).

I would place the paper in the jamb on the side with the hinges. Like 1 inch below the upper hinge. Have it sticking out just slightly so you only see it if you really look for it. When you get back, check if it's still there and in the same location because someone may open the door, see it fall down, and replace it but probably not in the same place you put it.

5. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you all....

I pack a lot of prescription medications. There are times that I feel that some of my meds are missing. I once packed a bottle of valiums on a cruise ship and I noticed it was gone.
    I also like to wear real gold jewelry. I like to just leave my meds and jewelry in a drawer. I don't wear expensive jewelry but it's real.

I do use the safe for my passport and money. Sometimes I put my jewelry
    in the safe and it just stays there. Duh...lol.

I never pack things that I would miss a lot if it got stolen or lost but still
    I don't like the idea of someone searching my things.

I do like the paper idea on the door hinge. Some other ideas also came into my mind too. Thank you all. Nervous Nelly

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess the question for me is, what would you then do? Let's say the paper falls and it wasn't just gravity, what's your next step? Hell, you'll just be more freaked out, and then think how ironic it would be if the paper did just happen to fall out. And what did management do when you previously informed them that things were missing?

Don't get me wrong, there are enough idiots out there for me to doubt human nature to some degree, and small items -- jewelry, the Cali Cartel's stash, phones and small electronics -- are far more likely to walk than a set of golf clubs or a laptop. But just assume that when you're not present your room isn't sacrosanct, stow what you don't want to lose, and you just might have better peace of mind in the long run.

7. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My reaction was the same as Kens.

Even if you find the paper disturbed, you can't really DO anything about it unless you know somethings missing, in which case you could do something anyway.

8. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My hotel room

If I notice that the paper has fallen then I will know that someone was in my hotel room for sure..... and I will lock all of my important things in my
    luggage with a big lock. I will also complain to the front desk manager that someone did go into my hotel room. I will also tell the manager I don't plan
    to stay at their hotel again.

If something is stolen from my room.... I plan to just tell the hotel manager and they can take care of it because people who steal things will do it again
    and get caught sooner or later.

I have learned in my life-time that there are some things I can't control that happen in my life and all I can do is just complain and let hotel managers take care of business or not. Some managers care and some don't so I just do what is best for me. I just move on in my life.

Everything I take with me on a trip can be replaced including my meds and jewelry by me. My main concern is my privacy. That's all....

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  9. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can get a battery powered motion activated video camera disguised as a clock radio for about $50.

10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've stayed in LV solo a number of times now and never had any issues.

I'll often times just put up the DND sign and skip housekeeping service. If I need towels, I snag one of the housekeepers in the hall and they will give me towels and soap and lotion and such.

If I have cash that I won't have with me, I'll put it in the safe.

One hint I may offer is to leave the TV or radio on, not loud enough to disturb others, but loud enough so anyone who listens intentionally at the door will hear it.

I believe that with most modern hotels, they can get a very accurate record of when your room was entered and what key was used.

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, Lucy, if you want to go all James Bond, more power to you. Might it just not make more sense, and be more time efficient, to simply snap that lock shut on the way out?

12. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would agree with the guy who said get a secret camera, if someone is that worried about it(and wont not leave things in the room they dont want taken), then spend a little money to buy the spy stuff.
    I leave small amounts of money(excess singles, etc) in my carryon and it's never been touched.

13. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The reason I got one was because I was working away and rented a room. I thought the owner was robbing me. He was.

[YOUTUBE]x1G0eWMCErs[/YOUTUBE]

I blanked out his face at the time as I wanted my money back, which I got. He got a smack in the mouth in form of a receipt. I don't normally agree with fighting, but there are a few times when I think physical violence is justified.

14. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Evidence of stolen property

Hey Wigwam, that was a great video of your landlord stealing and he had a lot of nerve spraying himself with the evidence of your scent spray bottle.

All you had to do was smell him and you would know it was him that stole from you. Plus... he took his time stealing since he knew you wouldn't be
    home for hours.

Hey Ken, I think I will play detective and spray my hotel door with my perfume and anybody that has that scent on their body is the suspect...
    person of interest....CSI evidence.lol. I can also put body white powder on the intrance into my room and look for foot prints.lol.

I can put the scotch tape on the bottom of the closed bathroom door and closet door. Also scotch tape the closed drawers that have my things in it.

I am now officially a psycho paranoid person and that is because.... Never
    mind. I think I will just get a video clock. James Blondie Gal

15. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Goodness sakes, if you have a safe in your room, and you have stuff you don't want to lose be it jewellery or drugs, put it in the SAFE.

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flush, step away from logical, practical and above all else sane.

Thank you for your cooperation.

17. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not everything fits in the safe at Ballys

Ken, you are still making me laugh with your comments.lol.

I have some beautiful blue suede shoes that I don't want stolen and they
    don't fit in the safe so I guess I better keep them safe at home in June when I return to Ballys. That hotel charges $3. per day to use their safe. What cheap-skates. I plan to have a talk with them about that charge.

I don't want anybody on the bus stepping on my blue suede shoes either
    so that is another good reason to keep them home. Elvis

18. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like your staying in Heartbreak Hotel

And youre All Shook Up,but Dont Be Cruel and send the maid to do The Jailhouse Rock.

19. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a real issue with hotels that charge for the safe, LucyR. You should give them a piece of your mind.

(Especially when it is too small for your shoes!)

I like the safes at Four Queens and Golden Nugget - you can fit a laptop in there, unlike the puny ones at the Cal and MSS and Fremont.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.