1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Buying Stocks On Line.....?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Who do you use ?
    My wife looked up Scott's Trade --
    but thought the initial $500 fee was too high.
    ($7 hence forth, each trade - she told me )
    She's all worked up over Facebook IPO.
    Any suggestions ?

2. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use a different on-line broker, but according to Scottrade's website, the $500 is just the initial deposit to open an account, not a fee!

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i use scottrade. don't know about a $500 initial fee? i just deposited money and off i went. they make it really easy to get started.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also used Scottrade and there was no up front fee, just a deposit to open the account.

5. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

thanks eveybody !
    I guess she misread --
    She's going w/ Scottrade.

6. Publius

Publius Living the Dream

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any other service?

Is there any other service that does not have an initial deposit amount that is good?

7. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any of the mainstream ones are fine, a word of caution though, don't fixate on saving a buck or two on commissions, what matters is how your trades perform - the couple bucks on each end is meaningless, unless if you're a big time trader, and if you are one of those, good luck to you.

8. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How are you going to trade without an initial deposit? I wouldn't bother with less than 500 since at that level the fees will eat up all your capital.

9. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, even at $500, I don’t think that there is a compelling risk-reward case for buying stocks vs. a much safer investment that doesn’t charge fees. Even at Scottrade’s fairly low $7.99 commission (and that’s charged to buy and again to sell), you’re going to be over three percent in the red from the very beginning. And that’s if you only wanted to buy one stock/fund/etf/whatever. For every other investment you buy, you’d be adding another three-plus percent to the hole you started from.

10. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TD Ameritrade for me.

Great customer service.

11. volfaninbama

volfaninbama High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am using Etrade for the Facebook IPO and Fidelity but I think you have to be a lonf term customer to have a lot of hope of getting shares.

12. LV_Bound

LV_Bound Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used E-Trade in the past and was happy with them.
    Definitely read to ensure you don't have to do X number of trade per year or something.
    Sometimes you can find offers for 10 free trades with a new account.

I will say I prefer this process much more than using a broker.

13. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to day trade for a living for about 4+ years but now I use Scottrade. They do have a $500 minimum to open an account.

They're alright, their streaming PC app is adequate for monitoring charts and placing orders in real time. The rest of their services like checkwriting and transferring money from your bank account are OK.

They have kind of an anachronistic branch system though; you can call a branch, but if you have to submit a Scottrade form to someone at the branch, you can't just email it directly, you have to either walk in, or email it to a central hub which then emails it to the person.I probably would have gone with someone else if I had to do it over again.

No Joe Schmoes are gonna get any FB IPO shares from their online broker, you're gonna have to buy them on the open market when FB opens some time Friday morning. Make sure you have a ceiling limit price in mind, don't place a market order or you'll get screwed for sure.

14. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IPOs are designed with the single purpose of screwing the average investor in order for the owner(s) of the company and the brokerage firms to pocket as much money as possible. so just beware especially when it's a hugely publicized IPO like this one.

15. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a feeling FB is a fad.

16. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MySpace turned out to be a fad...............

17. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey if I can buy 500 sh at $40 when it opens and sell it a couple of hours later for $50, I don't give a shit if it's a fad or a communist plot.

All these web sites now that either offer the opportunity to log in using a FB account or require you to log in using your FB account in order to do certain things, like comment - guess what - you're now logged into the FB network and FB is then collecting your data forever until you either go to FB and log out or don't use the web for 60 days. And even after you log out, if you visit a page that has a Like button.

18. gigglemonkee

gigglemonkee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use ameritrade for years now. If you want into the Facebook iPod you have to be one of the following and this is for all the onlines:

A. Account value of 250k or higher
    B. member for 1-3 years actively depending on service
    C. Have more than 30 trades a month at least on ameritrade and 40 on etrade iirc.

I have two portfolios on ameritrade. One for my day to day penny stocks. It's like gambling but takes longer to find if you made money and one for my long term investments.

19. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The truth!:thumbsup:
    My company was "employee owned" when they did their IPO but employee shareholders were locked out of selling for 1 year after the IPO. We all watched the price shoot up and then collapse about the time employees were eligible to sell. Price remains depressed to this date, some 6 years later.

20. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did she buy?

So Joe Strummer, did she buy and at what price?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.