1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Getting to the Neon Boneyard

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by MrSemps, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrSemps

MrSemps Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Neon Boneyard Museum is around .7 of a mile north of Freemont St on North Las Vegas Boulevard. Is it safe enough to walk the and back from Freemont St at 9.30 am in the morning? This may be a dumb question but I have no idea.

2. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally I would say no. It seems a lot farther than .7 miles too. I normally will walk anywhere, but I would not walk there, no only because of the area, but there really isnt anything to see once you get there.

3. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took the bus up there and back from Fremont. On the way I was scouting whether I would be comfortable walking it.

Mostly its okay, but there is a long stretch under the freeway that made me think twice that walking it was a great idea.

Finally, its fucking hot right now.

What I recommend is taking the 113 bus from outside Walgreens. Get off at Cashman field.

Pick up the same bus for the return trip, just across the street.

If I did this again, I'd cadge a ride back downtown from someone else on the tour.

4. Drambler

Drambler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went there in the afternoon and it's on a really busy street and didn't seem that bad of a neighborhood to me. We weren't sure how far it was so we cabbed it. Some people offered us a ride back, otherwise we would have walked. It's definitely walkable from the Fremont canopy.

5. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just went a couple of weeks ago and I had a rental car, but if I had to choose another method of transportation I would definitely not walk it - it is a straight drive all the way up Las Vegas Boulevard so maybe you could take a cab from Downtown and the bus back (or chat up someone on the tour who could give you a ride back, as suggested earlier).

If you want to take a tour of the Neon Boneyard just make sure you make reservations in advance, as the tours are limited. Also there is no real shade in the Boneyard and it can get very hot while you are on the tour.

Bring a large bottle of cold water with you (they offer water for a "donation" but it would probably be cheaper if you brought your own) and wear plenty of sunscreen as you will be standing in the blazing sun for a long period of time. It is a really fascinating place and I was there last September as well as on this past trip - that is how much I liked it.

You will have a really great time there - enjoy!!!

P.S. - as for there not being anything to see when once you get there, that is true but the small park where the fancy Neon Boneyard sign sits is now open and that is where you will sign in for the tour. You can always sit at one of the tables under the shade and relax while you wait for the tour to begin. And if everyone gets there early, the tour will begin earlier too.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.