1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown Workout Facilities

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by JennJenn, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JennJenn

JennJenn Low-Roller

Oh, I know, who want's to work out when they're in Vegas? The hubbie and I are running in the Detroit Marathon this October, and our trip in July is within our 18 week training schedule. We are not sure we want to run outside in Vegas in July, and are wondering what hotels have treadmills downtown.

Thanks again for all your advice! JennJenn

2. Fred C. Dobbs

Fred C. Dobbs Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The El Cortez has treadmills in the Cabana Suites workout room. I don't know if you can use them unless you are staying in the Cabana Suites.

The Gold Spike also has a treadmill in its workout room.

Those are the only ones I know for sure.

Fred C. Dobbs

3. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Plaza has one, and so does the Golden Nugget. 24 hour fitness is downtown for a day pass also.

4. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wife and I use 24 Hour Fitness. It was $10 the first day and $5 everyday after that. They have everything you need.

5. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jen, Golden Nugget is your best bet for a Strip-like workout experience. It is not a fantastic facility but it is better than average with more than enough treadmills and cardio. Have you thought about waking up early and driving to Red Rock Canyon for some road-work? The loop would be perfect, scenic and is not that far of a drive. I have run early morning, in July. It is not cool but it is possible.

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

you can use the workout room in the cabana suites only if you are staying in the Cabana suites. El Cortez tower, pavillion and vintage room guests aren't allowed in the cabana suite building. I guess you could ask about paying a charge to work out there but I don't remember hearing of anyone who did that. You would have to ask at the el cortez front desk because they wouldn't even allow me into the cabana suites, the guard pointed to the card key so I could enter only if I swiped my card key.

as others have said, there is a 24 hr fitness center less than 10 minutes away.

the plaza also has a workout room. there is a slot for your room key to open the place but whenever I visited the door was open to all. Guess you could try to sneak in a workout if you aren't staying there. I didn't try the treadmills so not sure how good they are. I did try one of the other machines and it ran a little tight (meaning that it probably needed oiling or servicing because it didn't run smoothly).

7. JennJenn

JennJenn Low-Roller

THanks everyone. I think we are really leaning towards the Golden Nugget, especially since there isn't a resort fee to stay there. We are running the Detroit Marathon in October, and even though the week we are in vegas our training is light, I would still like to continue running, even if I'm hungover. Who knows, if we get up at 7 and run, we might even run from downtown to the Stratosphere and back. Probably we will just stick to the treadmill because of the heat.

8. steveb135

steveb135 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go to Vegas to run Races all the time ( going out in June to run The Running with the devil Marathon out in Lake Mead .) My suggestion is get up early your first Day ( or don't Sleep..) and do a run along the strip. Catch a cab and start somewhere around Cesears..GFo south ,run the sidewalks ( the stairs and crossovers are like hill training) all the way out to Mandalay Bay and Back .( or as far as your run is suppossed to be)..Nights in Vegas are beautiful and to run at Night without haveing to carry a light is awesome.

9. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Way cool! Running with the Devil is on my list :) We ran the Hoover Dam marathon a few years ago. Have you run the Extraterrestrial Full Moon Marathon?

JennJenn - I second Steveb's suggestion to run the south Strip early in the morning. If you start your run at dawn you can be back to the hotel before it gets terribly hot.

Have fun and good luck on your marathon :nworthy:

10. JennJenn

JennJenn Low-Roller

This is our first marathon, so I don't know what to expect. I like Steve's idea about running the South strip in the early morning and add the stairs and crosswalks. Since the marathon actually crosses the bridge into Canada and back thru the tunnel, all the hills and such will only help! I guess for every drink I have I should have 2 bottles of water? Running in Vegas sounds fun though too!

11. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Jenn,
    I've been staying and running downtown for several years. I have two routes I use.
    One is to head north (for 1/2 mile on Las Vegas Blvd.) from downtown to Cashman Field. It is the AAA ballpark for the Las Vegas 51ers and has a huge parking lot to run around. In the morning, there is not any cars or traffic and staff are fine with people jogging the edge of the premises. One loop is about a mile or so. There is even a little elevation in play.
    The other route is to head west on the road between the Plaza and Main St. Station that goes underneath the railroad tracks. Once you get on other side of tracks, there is a huge area to your south to run loops.
    What I like about both places is the lack of traffic, stop lights and people. Plus, both are safe.

12. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whoa Nelly, be advised. Golden Nugget does not have a resort fee, but it does charge $20 for use of the workout area. The one way to avoid it is to spend a bit more and book a Gold Club room, then the workout fees are waived. You will need to do a cost benefit on that...

13. ILoveDonuts

ILoveDonuts Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Plaza workout room only has one treadmill so if it's occupied, you have to wait.

My favorite resort gym is at the Trump Tower.

14. JennJenn

JennJenn Low-Roller

So this is what I get for not booking a hotel yet.....we've now gone from the Strip, to downtown, firm at staying at the Golden Nugget, and now we are looking at the Plaza. How are the rooms there? I also see the Plaza has a jogging track by the pool and tennis courts. Has anyone ever run there? Not sure with the heat if we will actually run downtown, but if the jogging track is open at least if I pass out from the heat, I would be near the pool.

Thanks again everyone!

15. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure how much of the jogging track at the Plaza is left. It is right along side the tennis courts. You run one direction around the tennis courts, then back the way you came. The tennis courts are now closed off with tarps of some kind. IT IS HOT UP THERE!

Personally I like the rooms at the Plaza better than the ones at the Nugget. Service and infrastructure is what is missing at the Plaza, that you will find at the Nugget.

16. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was up there an hour ago. Unbearable heat and I saw no track

17. JennJenn

JennJenn Low-Roller

Thanks Sam and Tatter. I have no idea where we should stay now. I am trying to be good and work out while in Vegas, but in reality 4 nights without kids and beer everywhere, we probably won't. Even 3 miles a day would be good. Must think harder.......

18. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So what don't you like about the 24 hour fitness club option or Chef's running routes on streets? You can stay at any downtown hotel (eg the Plaza) and then run indoors or outdoors as you choose.....

19. JennJenn

JennJenn Low-Roller

Hi Hoya! We probably will either use the fitness suggestion or run the routes listed previously. Will depend on the heat for sure. Have all the rooms at the Plaza gone through the renovations? Thanks for all the suggestions! This board is awesome!

20. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All Plaza rooms are remodeled. Great value. Just checked out this morning, fifth or sixth stay since it reopened.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.