1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wynn Lake of Dreams?

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by MisplacedTexan, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisplacedTexan

MisplacedTexan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought we'd experienced all the freebies in Vegas, but a friend brought up the Lake of Dreams thing at the Wynn. I'm not sure how we've missed it. Then again, maybe there's a reason nobody talks about it?

Thoughts, anybody?

2. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think it really gets talked about too much because not people go to see it.

Although its free the only way you can really see it is by either staying at The Wynn and getting a room facing it or by dining at certain bars or restaurants on the property.

3. ILoveDonuts

ILoveDonuts Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wynn had this "revolutionary" idea that only customers/clients spending money at his resort would be privy to the free attractions. All the fanboys were like hey that Steve Wynn he's a genius!

That's all I've got to say about that.

I Love LV!

4. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, he was looking back at the big free attractions on The Strip at the time: Bellagio fountains, Mirage volcano and the pirate show at Treasure Island... and how they attracted lots of people to come and see, but they didn't have to come inside - they could see the show for free outside and didn't have to step one foot inside the property to do so.

5. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really like it and its definately worth seing. Enjoy it when eating at SW or when drinking at parasol down. The patio is great as well as the drinks.

6. uconncraig

uconncraig Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think you missed much. It's just OK.

7. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +100 - I think if you go to Wynn just to see that, you'll be disappointed - I never thought it was all that spectacular - almost seemed like Wynn knew he couldn't outdo the Bellagio fountains so that's really why he hid it from the strip behind a mountain - he knew people wouldn't be impressed so he tried to give it allure by hiding it - plus the "show" is kind of corny if you ask me.

It's okay as a backdrop for drinks or dinner if you're there for that - but otherwise I wouldn't bother with a special trip just to see it.

8. GoFlamesGo

GoFlamesGo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    how many different ones are there?

I've seen the face pop up to do the ferris beuller song,
    the red and blue ball
    the frog singing i got friends
    the frog singing what a wonderful world

Any others?

9. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Bellagio fountains can definitely be outdone, if u ever go to Dubai u will quickly realize how much superior it is compared to the B. Im actually glad he didn't try to build something that attracts hordes of people since it will take away some of the luxury of the resort if it gets to crowded.

But i do agree it might not be worth taking the trip just to see it, most of the attractions built at the Wynn/Encore is to provide a great atmosphere while enjoying drinks, dinner, clubbing etc.

10. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd agree w/ UCON and Jilly too....we've stayed at Wynn and Encore a total of 8 times so far and only been to watch twice and the second time was because our 25 yo gaughter was in town and hadn't seen it.

And....it's really not free. As others have stated, you have to be seated in one of the lake front restaurants or the outside bar if you want to "hear" it and the bar drinks are $10+ each.

11. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the dancing hibiscus flowers to Rachmaninof
    the snake lady
    there's also one with a bull fight--can't think of the music

12. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Scary but true, I enjoyed watching the TI show from my Strip view room than the lake. It's just, meh...

13. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The lake of dreams is pretty boring. You can see it for free by standing in the Parasol Down bar, but it will be much more amusing if you get a drink while you wait.

14. MisplacedTexan

MisplacedTexan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ummmm...face popping up to do Ferris Bueller song? Frogs singing It's a Wonderful World? Wow, that sounds like some quality entertainment there, friends. :rolleyes2:

We have tickets to see Le Reve one night. Maybe we'll grab some drinks and check it out while we're there. Then again, maybe not.

15. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hang on a minute. The Dubai fountains are just a bigger version of the same thing hardly original. Other than that, they are only more impressive because they are much bigger and then only to people who haven't been to Vegas before. Equally though, the Dubai ones remain more impressive to people who visit Vegas at a later date.

Land being so expensive on the strip I can't think of anything that would be more impressive in the space that can be afforded.

16. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went to Dubai for my first time during christmas holiday this year and didn't even realize that the Dubai fountains were bigger then the Bellagio version. I had to look it up now when u mentioned it and its only 25% bigger and i definitely couldn't tell when i was there.
    Either way they are not more impressive because they are bigger and only to people who haven't been to vegas before. Its a much newer and improved version with a much different choreograph and light settings. Im sure there is a big difference in the jet streams as well since it could do amazing things.

Either way it made the Bellagio version look pale in comparison and I have been a vegas regular for the last 10 years.

I didn't say the idea was original either. Im just saying i don't think it was Steve Wynn´s goal to achieve a bigger attraction. If it was I'm sure he would have come up with something spectacular. Bellagio fountains has now been a great attraction for the last 10 years and still is, but new technology and people with a creative mind will always find a way to come up with something new and more astonishing.

17. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read an interesting article a few months ago - can't remember where, maybe one of Dr. Dave Schwartz's articles? - talking about how, do to the increased cost of land on the strip and changing economics and business models of the more corporate stip operators of today - that it was highly unlikely any hotel on the strip would ever be built again in the future with a free "attraction" as large as the Bellagio fountains - it's too much of a cost ratio for the amount of land involved for the expected return, at least in the corporate bean-counters' minds - and that today, anyone building a new resort would look at that land as a waste of land that could be put to better revenue-generating use.

Of course, IMO you could argue that the Bellagio fountains do indeed generate revenue because they've helped make the place iconic and therefore they bring customers in.

And then of course there's the vast empty wasteland that is the strip between Wynncore and Sahara these days - have to wonder if given all that empty space to fill if that idea - that the land is too expensive to support another free front attraction of that size will truly never be built again.

But I thought it was an interesting article nonetheless - I just wish I could remember where I read it so I could post a link for anyone else who'd want to read it.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.