1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

California pool

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by liteman, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liteman

liteman Old Timer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How is it? Decent? Better than nothing? Worthless? I'll be there next weekend, staying at MSS and I understand I can use Cal's pool. Thanks, Jim from Mi

2. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just be advised that to use the pool, you have to show ID at the Cal front desk to get a card to get you through the pool door.

It's unattended, but locked and your MSS card won't work.

4. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It depends on what you want. If you just want to lounge around in the sun and slide in the pool to cool off it is probably okay. If you are looking to take laps then you will be disappointed, the pool isn't big enough for laps, especially if there are people in the pool. If you are looking for a pool scene, then you will also be disappointed. The pool is bare bones, no entertainment, just a place to sun yourself.

As Joe said, you will have to go to the Cal front desk to get a key card for entry to the pool (Cal guess can use their room keys for entry) if you are staying at the MSS.

Also be aware that some buildings may block the sun certain times of the day.

5. Fred C. Dobbs

Fred C. Dobbs Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Cal pool is barely a pool. It is slightly larger than a backyard pool. Its location also blocks out direct sunlight for good portions of the day in the summer months. I've swam up there a couple of times and also found it can be pretty windy. Even if it doesn't feel breezy on Fremont Street, it can be blustery up there.

If a pool is very important, there are better ones downtown:
    1. Golden Nugget
    2. Plaza
    3. Four Queens (use the Binions roof top pool)
    4. Gold Spike
    5. Fitzgerald's.

Fred C. Dobbs

6. Ben Jammin

Ben Jammin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There aren't unfortunately, any stellar pools downtown, unless you consider the shark tank/pool option at the Golden Nugget an upscale pool. I do not. I think it's too crowded and has too many children for my taste.

The second best option was the Gold Spike Oasis pool but they tend to try to have pool parties on the weekends which consist of loud hip hop music and a few drunks staggering around or playing football, whicH distracts from the relaxing enjoyment I'm looking for in an upscale pool environment. The GS is anything but upscale IMHO.

The El Cortez has plans for a pool facility which will encompass over half of the auxiliary parking garage property on the north side of Ogden. The plans have been completed but Epstein is waiting to see what will happen with the economy. The El Cortez formula has been working and the place is turning a profit for the time being, but another multi million dollar expenditure at this time with the volatility of the current market is a risky proposition

Stay tuned

7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    didnt know cal had a pool until now. didnt know they had trash cans either until now.

8. northerngirl

northerngirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It depends what you want out of a pool. I personally like it as it suits my needs. It is very peaceful and no fighting for lounge chairs. Rarely are there children running around you screaming and splashing. No one to monitor your bags searching for snacks/beverages being snuck in. I pretty much consider it my private pool and a nice, relaxing way to start the morning. Enjoy!

9. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wow, that thing makes the Plaza's pool look...spacious :faint:

10. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed at the Cal last week - Missed the pool.

However I visited the GN pool. One of my favorite in Vegas.
    I have to disagree fully with Ben Jammin. The "main area" of the GN pool can seem cramped and full of people (sometimes kids, not when i was there). But if you spring for the new "H20 Hideout" pool area (18+ area) its well worth it. Very relaxing, not crowded, spread out, great waitress service. Of course you have to pay for this, but if you've ever fought for a lounge chair at a pool and sat literally on top of someone else (a smoker, etc), then the few bucks for a chair up there is worth it. I paid $50 weekday (I was not staying at the GN) for a Daybed that fit 3 people comfortably. It was a cal king sized bed w/ two sitting chairs. Spaced far away from others and very attentive waitress service (they even found us in the water to take orders/deliver food).

That way i got alot of peace away from the crowd but still could enjoy the shark tank pool and slide.

11. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    to get that you don't even have to stay at the hotel? I didn't even know about the separate area...

12. elika42

elika42 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was there last July. It is no larger than your average backyard pool, but when it is 110 outside, it is better than nothing. My friend and I spent about an hour cooling off there. Personally, if it is crowded I would just turn around and not even bother. Really, if you are into pools you should look elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.