1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Carnevino at Palazzo

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by JIMSWITCH, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JIMSWITCH

JIMSWITCH Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Going to be in Vegas next week. Was planning on taking my Girlfriend to Carnevino and I know its pricey. Just want to know if its worth it or not?

Thanks!

2. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Outstanding choice... you will enjoy and she'll be impressed!

4. JIMSWITCH

JIMSWITCH Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great Thanks!

5. BLNT

BLNT High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am guessing one/both of those threads linked to some Jilly posts... if not, CALLING JILLY!!!

6. Sklem211

Sklem211 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never been there, but I was playing sigma derby at MGM and one of the guys there was raving about it. Said it tasted like God had cooked his meal for him.

7. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

LOL - Yes, Carnevino is my favorite steakhouse in Vegas - it's great because it's not a "cookie-cutter" steakhouse like so many of the other [even best] steakhouses are, all pretty much offering variations on the same steakhouse menu - at Carnevino, you get steak, but you also get some great, authentic Italian, too - my wife absolutely loves it there because it's the one place in Vegas where we can go & I can get a great steak while if she's not in the mood for steak she still has plenty of good & interesting pasta, seafood and other dishes to choose from.

We've always had great food & excellent service & we've been there many times. My one caveat is that their steaks are dry aged - sometimes extremely so - so if you're not used to the stronger, more concentrated flavors of a truly dry aged steak, you'd be better off going somewhere that wet ages the steaks (which is pretty much most steakhouses in Vegas today) - but if you love dry aged steaks, call ahead and ask them if they will have any of their special "riserva" steaks available the night you're there - and if they do, reserve one - they're aged anywhere from 6-12 months and cost upwards of $100 [and even more] - but if you truly love dry aged steak, it's totally worth it!

8. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was my post on a thread last year asking about Carnevino

8 of us ate there this summer just gone and as a few others have said were left underwhelmed by the experience. A friend of mine from the UK raved about it so I booked it up for the group one night after we had all busted out of the poker tournament at the V.

The pasta dishes and appetisers were excellent as were the couple bottles of wine we had. The main courses weren't so good though and both cuts of meat came out very undercooked. All in all it was an ok meal but when you're putting $2k down for dinner and only $200 on wine I just expected a bit more I suppose.

I've just switched myself from Bellagio to Palazzo today for 5 days of my 16 so will be doing Cut again for sure. As Jilly is such a staunch supporter of Carnevino I will endeavour to give it another spin :)

I am very open to the possibility our meal was just a random one off and we were very unlucky to have not gotten good steaks that night. I'll report back in July with my findings :beer:

9. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jilly has explained the dry aged steaks thing and he is right on. The burger, which I posted about in another thread, is superb. It is made from trimmings of their dry aged beef and served with gorgonzola, pancetta, and arugula. If you like, they will serve it so raw the inside is practically like a beef tartare. They serve it all day at the bar but I don't think it is available in the dining room for dinner.

Speaking of beef tartare, they have a great version. Carnevino's "Spago" is a hand made spaghetti with lamb ragu, basically the best spaghetti w meat sauce you can imagine. Finally, the lamb chops are huge and just delectible.

As someone who loves fine dining but is underwhelmed by almost all steakhouses, I highly recommend this place. It does, however, have its detractors. Most people who complain have issues with the strong taste or high cost of the dry aged beef.

10. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed - perhaps the best lamb chops I've ever had - they even give you the option of ordering 5 of them for extra $$$ instead of the standard three - which I'd be ashamed to admit I've made a pig out of myself and done before if it weren't for the fact that their lamb chops are just so incredible. Whenever the "riserva" steaks aren't available the night I'm dining there, I always go with the lamb chops instead. If you love lamb as much as I do, it's yet Another reason to try the place out.

11. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    YES--I don't know anyone who has tasted the lamb chops @ Carnevino and not said they were the best they ever had. Three make for a very substantial portion. I am a big eater, and I am seriously impressed that anyone could polish off five!

12. RPMCanes

RPMCanes VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would try CUT instead. I was not impressed at all with Carnevino.

13. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love CUT and ate there 3x over 2 weeks last year :evillaugh

As I said about Carnevino, the appetisers/side were incredible and better than CUT's I think on reflection. The only downside wasn't the taste of the steaks, it was that they were very undercooked.

I was staying at the Bellagio for 5 nights but have switched it to Palazzo now, this will be my 4th stay there in as many years and I really love the restaurants between the two.

I will be giving Carnevino another spin for sure now, I don't feel it's fair to make a judgement on one aspect of the meal being off one time and am looking forward to thanking Jilly for convincing me to go back.

14. Junkyard Hog

Junkyard Hog High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A group of 6 of us ate there in September and were not impressed at all. Our service was terrible and the steak was just ok. The mashed potatoes with the egg in it was outstanding though.

15. RPMCanes

RPMCanes VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really? I had those and thought they were the most bland potatoes I've ever eaten.

16. jvferg72

jvferg72 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I both thought the potatoes were fabulous.

17. Junkyard Hog

Junkyard Hog High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah we loved them. We thought everything else was average at best.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.