1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best Sushi in Vegas?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Nooro, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nooro

Nooro Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best sushi restaurant in vegas?

2. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best is subjective, but...

If you are a true sushi aficionado and you're willing to pay exorbitant prices, Bar Masa in Aria is the best. The fish they use is only 16 hours from Tokyo Bay to Masa's kitchen and they only use the best ingredients. In my opinion, no other sushi joint on the strip is in the same Stratosphere (including price).

3. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And on the other end of the scale so to speak if you want value for a reasonable price you can try Makino Chaya's at the Premium Outlets North.

All you can eat if that's your sort of thing. Good value for what's offered. Again, as mentioned above, "Best" is subjective.

4. kmarcin

kmarcin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking at Bar Masa's dinner menu (http://www.arialasvegas.com/files/dining/Barmasa-Dinner-Menu.pdf), it is clearly a high-end restaurant. A great selection of Japanese cuisine.

5. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I second Makino. Either one - outlets or Decatur and Flamingo. Both are excellent for the price and are a great value at lunch!

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With Okada's demise I'd have to pick Shibuya. But I won't venture a "best" as I've not run the circuit. Top-end sourcing is top-end sourcing.

We've been doing Makinos for well more than a decade. It's good, safe, plentiful, but a different experience and level.

7. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we love Shibuya, but have hardly been everywhere to compare. heard some mixed reviews on Bar Masa, but have yet to try it. maybe next trip.

8. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I'm a fan of Shibuya as well. In my opinion it's the 2nd best sushi restaurant on the strip.

I think most of the negative Bar Masa reviews are due to the price, which is completely justifiable. The difference between Shibuya and Bar Masa isn't really worth the money to most people. To be honest, it's not always worth it to me either.

But the OP asked for the best so I didn't consider cost.

9. pikabu

pikabu Low roller, but always enjoy the ride!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Island Sushi at the Plaza. Sounds crazy, I know, but we had great sushi there a couple of days ago.

They also have a special of all you can eat sushi for $29.95. They give you a menu and you keep ordering. They make up each dish/sushi roll individually. So it is very fresh, as you would want.

10. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking at their menu now it looks like Bar Masa has slightly lowered their prices. You can see their older menu on this blog.

For example, Toro used to be 15 dollars a piece, now it's 12 per piece and 32 for three pieces. The Hirame was 8 now it's 6/16. The Masa Toro Toro roll was 68 now it's 52. The Uni risotto used to be 48 (w truffle 78) now it's 42 (w truffle 62).

I also remember when I went there about 6 mos ago the portions for the rolls and sushi looked slightly larger then when they first opened. I didn't think much about it at the time, but it makes sense. I've read MGM isn't happy with the performance of Bar Masa and they're obviously they're making changes. They just shuttered Shaboo, an arm of Masa's restaurant.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  11. Nooro

Nooro Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow thank you for everyones suggestions. Bar Masa is definitely out of my league, but I appreciate the input and everyone clarifying their position. I think shibuya is he way to go. Thanks again everyone.

12. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a great time!

13. Bosco

Bosco VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  14. MangoPort

MangoPort High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've eaten at Shaboo and it was definitely a waste. I wrote a review on it on twoplustwo (a poker forum) but basically it was $300pp, for food worth $80 and overall not that delicious. Unique, yes, but I would not eat there again. The price and mystery about it had kept a lot of people away but in the end they just didn't have a quality product to offer.

Bar Masa really annoyed me with the size of their over-priced sushi. The easiest to compare to is Grand Wok in the MGM, where a piece of Salmon sushi is so much larger in size (close to double) for a cheaper price.

On the otherhand, their sea-urchin rissotto was pretty awesome.

Back to the subject: I also like Shibuya as number 1, now that Okada is no more.

15. Peath13

Peath13 Guest

Thanks everyone!

My hair gal just asked me this question two days ago.
    She and her hub love sushi and she wanted to treat him for his birthday next time they go.

16. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I too think BarMasa is grossly overpriced, the size of their sushi is proper. A piece of sushi is supposed to be small, so that it may easily be eaten in one bite. Places serving larger pieces aren't authentic.

17. alexanbo

alexanbo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mizumi, the restaurant replacing Okada just opened on Friday.

18. VegasL0ver

VegasL0ver Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should go to The Naked Fish, it's great!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.