1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wacky ideas run in the family...

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by BlueSkadoo, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So my mom has requested a trip to Vegas for mother's day. As a good child, I said "of course!" but then she started in with her wacky idea. Mom is a penny pincher, and not a foodie. She has set a challenge that we have all our meals come in around the 20 dollar mark, for both of us. And she used the "it's my trip and I"m your mother" so how could I say anything but "Yes, Mother". Of course our list includes Ellis Island steaks, we have the groupon for Kahunaville (I had a credit so it was 16 total), and we each have 55 bucks from the CET Escape to Rewards game. Have you ever set a meal-limit? Were you successful? I'm hoping once she gets a little Vegas air, she'll up the limit to at least 30 bucks. :evillaugh

Oh and mom doesn't allow drinking, even in Vegas (and I'm 30!!) so booze won't eat up our food money.

2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My last trip with my grandmother. She wanted all the meals to be $10 or less. We did do EI a couple times, we hit Noodle Exchange at Gold Coast, Magnolias at Four Queens worked and she did BKs at O'Shea's a few times. Some of the more expensive meals I paid for with points. But overall it was difficult because she insisted on being on the strip when she travels with a downtown budget and I won't eat fast food in Vegas to save a few bucks.

3. crussader

crussader Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Geesh, I am glad I am not going to be there as I like to drink. :eek:

Although its a great idea of hers to go to Vegas she shouldn't the one to dictate how one spends their vacation. So, tell her Mother's Day in Vegas is a great idea too bad she can't join you. :thumbsup:

5. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, if you do the CET buffet pass & run it over 4 meals, you will be pretty close to $10 per meal. Best value is of course 2 suppers, 1 lunch & 1 breakfast. It would be about $12 per meal (plus tax & tip - sure hope she isn't including that in the $10).

Or if you have a smart phone you can 'check-in' at most CET props via foursqure & get a $5 off voucher for the buffet at that prop. It would cut breakfast to close to $10. Also Planet Ho has those $5 off buffet coupons you can print online too - no check-ins/smart phone required.

If you sign up for the text offers, you might get some BOGO meal offers - we got a BOGO Tractor Driver combo at HHAGG for one offer & a BOGO Burger & Fries at Victorian Room at Bills for another (can't use TR credits there unless you get a voucher from TR desk). You show the text at TR desk for the coupon. This trip she didn't even make me delete the HHAGG one from phone so I could have used again.

Restaurant.com has $25 of $50 at HHAGG or $10/20 for breakfast. Only can use one a month. Even the supper one would end up average $12.50 per person +tx/tip.

Earl of Sandwich is awesome for breakfast, lunch or supper as mentioned.

Share an order of nachos at Margaritaville - you can add meat & still should be under $20. (My mom wouldn't eat nachos though - not sure about yours).

Otherwise, as far as I am concerned the idea stinks lol. I don't overdue my budget but I am NOT going to give up something I want because it cost $4 more than my goal. I would suggest you get her to set it to $30 average per meal per couple. Then a lunch at Earl will easily help the average for a nicer meal somewhere else. My travel companion & I in March averaged about $16 per meal when we drank water with it (just didn't feel like soda). Or tell her that you will do it 2 meals a day & the 3rd you will pay whatever it goes over & she will have to live with it.

Compromise on both sides hopefully will help. I set a rule when we go to Disney that if I am paying then one meal per day everyone drinks just water. They get to pick which meal. So far no one has grumbled. And sometimes they do it more than one meal.

6. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also at restaurant.com -

$25 off $35 at First Food (Venetian/Palazzo? or Wynn area??

$25 off $35 at El Segundo Sol (Fashion Show Mall by Stripburger?)

If you can get those with a good discount code they might good choices. I have those rest.com coupons for one of my future trips.

And if you go downtown the 777Brewpub at MSS has great, reasonable food.

The more I thought about this I decided I was getting a bit of an attitude but I was feeling so bad for you. If you can get the 'you choose one meal' per day, then consider the other two to be a challenge and also a chance to experience a new place you wouldn't try on your own. I never would have tried 777Brewpub but DS wanted a brewpub when he came one trip. Now it is a repeat stop for me!

7. luvnvegas2

luvnvegas2 Guest

In September I am going on my fourth trip with my son to Vegas. My first trip with my son (actually both) was on Mothers Day some years ago. The second was with my two sons and daughter in law 2 years ago. The third was last April and the next will be in September. The reason my son goes with me is because my husband does not like to travel so I ask my son if he would go with me.

We have a great time together. I am not much of a drinker but in Vegas, I can't seem to help myself. I would not dream of telling him no drinks in Vegas. How can you deny the waitresses those tips!

8. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the most i have paid for a meal in vegas was about $20 each. That alot of meals and alot of trips so you can easily do it.

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rarely pull out cash to pay for meals in Vegas. Only thing I pay for is tips.

But, the last buffet I had cost me around $100. Dinner at Olives cost a few hundred, plus $40 tip. (gambling expense - LOL!)

If you have RCs,she will think you are getting the meal free. Use them wisely.

Then stay up late and drink like a fish!

10. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If we were RFB, I have no doubt mom would be all for living it up. We went in October when I turned 30, and I made her indulge in one "fancy" meal (Sage at Aria) and she was so worried about the price, she made it miserable for both of us. Even my offering to pay did no good. Since she tried it my way, I told her I'd try it her way. Don't feel too bad for me, jgates...I'll be back in July and going with my foodie friends and make up for it. Mom has more of a need for degenerate (albeit sober) gambling than for food. She loves downtown, and we have an ACG, so I'm sure we'll dine down there. She also loves the buffet of buffets. I appreciate all your suggestions! She's so pumped that we have a free room at Bally's, too. I'm hoping they'll be good to us since we're arriving on Mother's Day.

You know that old saying, "If momma ain't happy..."

11. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This will be funny - ask your mom if you can over the budget by 12 cents for one nice lunch at Milos in the Cosmo.

Someone here did an awesome review with pictures.

I don't know if your mom has a players card at the Wynn but they might still be running that get 150 points & get 2 free buffets promo with new sign-ups.

oops you said total for both of you, dang! Good luck!

When we Were Young
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.