1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do you have a Smart Phone?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Sonya, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    iPhone's can upload directly to twitter. They are a bit limited in uploading capacity otherwise. You could install picasa and upload photos to there, and then link those photos on here.

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right now there isn't a way to easily upload pics to the board from your phone. I wish there was. :(

I think the best thing to do is to get one of the photo services (I use photobucket, but there are others) and upload from your phone to their server. Once you upload pics there, you get a URL that you can use to link to them from here.

Please send me a PM if you need further tutorials.

3. NewVegasCowboy

NewVegasCowboy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Huawei Ascend P6 and I couldn't be happier. Fast, reliable and it looks good. Only problem is that when I listen to music over the headphones it is a bit quiet. But that is no dealbreaker for me.

4. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am going on a trip in about three weeks and think I would like to take a stab at a LIVE trip report.

As of tomorrow I will have a new iPhone 5s (getting rid of my 4, finally).

I'd like to post pics to the trip report...is using Photobucket still the best way to post pics?

Any other ways to do this?

Is using photobucket easy?

To you savvy trip reporters who post pics...help me out!

5. Dans Lady

Dans Lady Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, I have a dumb phone from Metro PCS. It's an LG Beacon with unlimited talk and text for $25. :clap:

6. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sort of the same for me. Turned in our 4G phones for flips. Smart phones are pacifiers for adults. :rolleyes2:

7. Pea

Pea Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I finally got a pacifier, and I love it! :wave:

8. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just switched from Verizon to Tmo. I got in on the deal:
    - 4 lines, unlimited talk, text, and data for $150
    - BOGO free Samsung Galaxy S7 Edges (got 2, paid the taxes, one phone was $780 split into equal monthly payments)
    - 2 years of Netflix free (1 year per phone, 2 streams at $9.99 so really a $239.76 credit, currently on the trial free month)
    - $400 Fatwallet cashback ($100 per line started with Tmo)
    - 2 $100 Samsung giftcards (I couldn't stack them so I bought a cheap 48" for $300 and a soundbar each separately), I could've elected those Gear VR headsets but....no. They cost $100 anyway.

My wife and I had an S4 and S5 before respectively.

I use my phone in these ways
    - check traffic (Google Maps is highly accurate, I have 3 main arteries to go to and from work so this is killer)
    - Torque Pro app ($8 one-time) + OBD II dongle ($24) gives me any fault codes on my vehicles
    - weather.com app for forecasts anywhere down to the hour
    - send video to any screen with Chromecast or Amazon Fire Stick.
    - Gas Guru app (free) gives me the gas prices at gas stations near me or not near me, highly accurate and does NOT use crowdsourcing.
    - video calls, I can my wife and talk via video as easy as a normal phone call
    - calculator
    - camera (got in an accident, took pics of the accident, and all info needed for insurance)
    - video filming
    - remote apps for certain devices I have (the S7 doesn't have an IR blaster like my S5 and S4 had but I can control my Fire Stick and FIOS, I can log in and DVR programs from out and about)
    - apps that give the name and loc of who is calling me annnnd who I'm calling.
    - internet browser
    - talk to text, I rarely type my texts, the phone is very accurate in speech to text conversion
    - Shazam and Soundhound, if I hear a song I like, start the app and it tells me who it is and the name of the song
    - email
    - Opentable app for reservations
    - various pizza and fast food apps for ordering pizza, Chipotle, etc on the go
    - Contact organizer
    - Calendar with reminders and alarms
    - alarm clock with multiple alarms for whatever day of the week you want
    - Android Auto puts the brains of the phone on the screen of my car
    - check in the cameras of my house while I'm away or looking in on my little one (won't say what app or camera I use)
    - best of all.....handsfree with my wireless Bluetooth headset, I use that in lieu of my home phone, I can walk around, cook, clean, etc without holding the phone.

I'm sure there's a ton I left out.

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About 2 years ago they upgraded us from Blackberry phones to Samsung Galaxy phones and I love the new one! I have email on it and use the Firefox browser quite a bit. I find I prefer having the same interface on all sites as I do on the desktop. Less re-learning and such. I have very good close-up vision and it seems quite natural.

10. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have a smart phone, but my toaster is a genius! :goofy:

11. Danielle

Danielle Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a smartphone. I've had one since I was in high school. At this point I honestly couldn't imagine not having one!

12. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I forgot to add, an app that's I'm using right now....FoxFi.

With this, I use my unlimited data from my phone as a wifi hotspot. I wifi my laptop and even my Amazon Fire Stick through this.

With no resort fees, I also have no in-house wifi. No problem.

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was back in HS I thought of no line at the pay phone as being a luxury, not to show my real age!

• Like Like x 1
  14. flysrb

flysrb Hey Now!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Now!
    Still holding on to our Samsung Alias flip phones.
    But I love this IPod Touch....

15. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Finally broke down and got a "smart" phone. Gotta admit I really love some of the apps that are available, like the plane radar so you can see where the plane that is flying above you is going, and also a ship finder so I can see info about the big ships passing by when I am in my Va Beach condo. The one thing that I don't use it for much is reading- too small for my bad eyes. But, I will try Tap Talk because I miss my VMB when I'm away from my computer!

16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try using the Web browser on your phone. I prefer it to that buggy tapatalk.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can get Firefox for your smart phone, at least you can for my Samsung 6.

18. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a smart phone, but I'm a pretty dumb user. I'd have no idea where to even start with uploading pictures to a message board.

I've learned to be good with google maps, email, messaging, reading my Nook books, operating our home security system and actually making calls, but most of my phone's smartness (iPhone 6 Plus) is wasted on me. When I'm in the house my phone sits on a shelf-my iPad is a more constant companion.

19. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.