1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My sister the Vegas Virgin...

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by HurricaneMikey, Jan 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HurricaneMikey

HurricaneMikey A-List Buffoon

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Hey gang...

With my impending move to our favorite city, all the plans are being made for another cross-country trip.

My 29-year old reformed-hippie Vegas Virgin sister stepped up to the plate and offered to help me drive cross country in the moving van (we're towing the car behind, so she'll keep me company on the drive).

Anyhow, she's never really been interested in Vegas that much, but now that she's going she's really excited. We expect to arrive in town around 8pm on a Friday evening, and will spend a couple hours unloading the truck and such, but will honestly probably be done by 10pm. If we have the strength, we might go out and do a drive down the strip and grab a bite to eat.

Anyhow, her flight doesn't leave until Monday morning, so we've got two days for me to play tour guide. I figure one day for sure will be spent on the Strip, and one day downtown.

We won't gamble hardly at all, except for a little $3 blackjack if we can find a table. But we're gonna do all kinds of walking around and playing tourist.

So far, the only thing she insists on doing on the Strip is visiting the Mirage to see the tigers and the Secret Garden, along with watching the fountains at Bellagio.

I told her that for her first trip she must also visit the Venetian and Mandalay Bay.

So Saturday looks like this...

-Take the truck and trailer back in the morning
    -Breakfast at the Peppermill
    -Park at the Mirage and wander around there
    -Walk over to the Venetian and see the sites

Feet will be tired by then, so we'll cab to Mandalay Bay and hang out there, maybe make our way back to Bellagio that evening.

So I need suggestions for dinner that's somewhat reasonable and in the mid-strip area. (This will be a Saturday night, so Mon Ami Gabi is probably not gonna be a good idea).

Sunday we'll probably hit the Paris brunch, then the day is free before we go downtown and do some souvenir shopping and do a small bit of gambling. She said she wants to have dinner at the Golden Gate for shrimp cocktail and of course we're going to enjoy all the outdoor stuff and the light show that night.

Any other suggestions where I should take a first timer on a budget during the day on Sunday? I was thinking a matinee show or something if the tickets weren't too expensive.

Like I said, she leaves Monday morning, and then my Vegas Life starts for real because I start my dealing classes that day, so it'll be like two days of a normal Vegas trip (hell, I'll even write a trip report for ya!), but since she doesn't drink, and we'll do very little gambling, and my buddies won't be around, it'll be a little light on buffoonery. I'm looking forward to being a 'tour guide' just for the simple fact that everywhere we go, I'll have a funny or interesting story to tell her... [​IMG]

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Mikey

2. KW2LAS

KW2LAS Tourist

Hey Mikey, good luck with the move. My future might hold a similar transition within the next three months. Been thinking about the Vegas thing for a long while, too. Would be a lot easier for me to leave someplace like Nashville, but life in the Florida Keys is a tough act to follow. I think Vegas might be able to quench most of my desires, though.

Looking forward to hearing how things go for you out there.

Take care.

3. Smarra17

Smarra17 Poker Queen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mikey, of course you have the Cheesecake Factory at Ceasars or Grand Lux at the Venetian that are both affordable and great. If you are going to be touring the strip both might be just what you are looking for. You can also ask your new room mate for some ideas.

4. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'd be going back to the Venetian, but i'd say Grand Lux myself...

5. HurricaneMikey

HurricaneMikey A-List Buffoon

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Sammi--

I mentioned the Cheesecake Factory at Caesars last night to my sister, and at first she got excited because it's her favorite restaurant and we don't have one here in Nashville yet. A little while later she decided she didn't want to do that, and wanted a 'true Vegas meal' instead.

Mikey

6. milehiman

milehiman VIP Whale

What about something in the Venetian like Postrio?

She might get a kick out of eating in St. Marks Square. It's good food and the patio seating is first come first serve.

A lot of people have talked up Jimmy Buffet's place - Margaritaville.

Viale at Caesars Palace - patio dining along the strip. It's casual Italian dining and new.

[ January 12, 2005, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: milehiman ]

7. RamBill

RamBill Tourist

A "true vegas meal"....hmmmmm GG shrimp cocktail, EI $4.95 steak, and a deep fried twinkie.....

How about Peppermill?

8. RossW

RossW North of the 49th

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about the Victorian Room at the Barbary??...

9. joanna

joanna Tourist

We like Spago at Caesar's. They take reservations for the dining room and walk-ins for pseudo-patio seating along the walkway. Good place for a virgin to see the sights.

10. RamBill

RamBill Tourist

Also patio dining at Mon Ami Gabi....

11. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Brew Pub at Monte Carlo.

Sidewalk Cafe at Ballys is decent--prime rib & crab legs special is only around $10...

12. Coaster Kikky

Coaster Kikky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cheeseburger at the Oasis in Desert Passage could be amusing. We've liked the food there, and it's not badly priced.

13. daugag02

daugag02 Tourist

There's something to be said about buffets being a "true vegas meal". You could hit a place like the Aladdin, check out the indoor thunderstorm, and then hit Spice Market.

Also, no one will deny that the Mega Dog is a Vegas meal and a half.

14. Thekiller

Thekiller Tourist

When you say 'true Vegas meal' , I think of Ellis Island $4.95 steak special or the $2.99 graveyard specials. Where else can you get these besides Vegas?

Check out the half price ticket outlets to get some good deals on a show.

15. rje

rje High-Roller

Mikey-

I'll be in Vegas in May for a family trip with my mother, twin sisters, and a few cousins. My one sister is a vegas virgin as. This will be more of a low key trip for me as well. Keep us posted about the weekend with your sister... I could use a few ideas.

16. doctor_al

doctor_al VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And that something will be said through the closed door of your hotel room's bathroom.

I could just leave it at a smart answer, but I'll throw out the Range Steakhouse at Harrahs, 'cuz it's in the neighborhood and I heard it's great.

Unvisited Unincorporated Clark County, baby. [​IMG]

17. Heathcat

Heathcat High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aside from the meals, another place she might enjoy checking out is the memorabilia at the Hard Rock. I despise the Hard Rock, but they do have some great displays (especially if you're a reformed hippie...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.