1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Chocolate Chips & A Private Jet

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Bo333, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jersey_Bill

Jersey_Bill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glen -

As usual you have a great perspective on life.

It's all good and all fun.

JZB

2. joyglen

joyglen MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cause Bro, I was born in NYC and spent over 20 years in North Jersey and also, Brigatine.

I learned over the years, take everything at face value and if learned otherwise, deal with it.

You never know who you are sitting next to, playing with or talking to. In person or since the tech age, on the internet with or saying something against.

3. luvnvegas2

luvnvegas2 Guest

Because I DO have to work, I was just curious....nothing more, nothing less, no hidden meaning. Didn't realize it was an offensive question.

4. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report....now where is that bachelor board you mentioned???

5. JulieM

JulieM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WOW..Great TR:beer:

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read all of it, was totally envious, and just can't relate to such a lifestyle. But, as a working stiff (now retired), it certainly would be something I could/would do if I won the Megabucks:nworthy: Well, maybe not the girl in the room part because we're coming up on our 30th anniversary, but the gambling stuff, wow!

No reason to doubt, just can't even think of such a lifestyle. However, I have dreamed it, and then my wife wakes me up:cry:

7. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to say I’m so surprised by those questioning the veracity of my trip report. I just can’t imagine anyone having any desire (or time) to make a fictitious one. As much as I HATE to write, I love reading everyone’s trip reports so always feel like I should return the favor. I’ve actually thought a couple times about dictating them, but decided my assistant probably already has her doubts about my personal character, no reason to prove her doubts correct Besides, it would be too unprofessional, even for me.

As for Robbie’s money… He comes from old auto industry money all made by his grand father (although his father did rather well too). I went to college with Robbie (I was out of state), and went to his father’s place for thanksgiving once, it was my first exposure to how the other side lives. Robbie does day trade, but more of a hobby, I know he likes beating the other ‘players’.
    As for day trading being a 90s thing, I work for a company that is all we do. In front of my office is a floor of day traders using the company’s money. It’s amazing how much money we suck out of the market (would make any sane person run from the retail market).

My bankroll is about 2K a day when I’m in Vegas. I do however really try hard to keep my loses under 1K. (Bet less and less as I lose more and more…happens).
    At the end of this trip I was up about 6K in winnngs, but down for the trip because I spent too much on private entertainment. Most of my winning were because of the big stake by Robbie and a lot from poker.

Josh’s bankroll was about $500 a day, although he said he could do 1K. He said he came out a few thousand ahead. No exact figures were forthcoming.

Robbie said he did alright, but I would never feel comfortable enough with him to ask for real numbers. I did try to keep track for a while of markers taken and torn, but it was too many days, and too much drinking, and he was playing with such large amounts that it just didn’t compute in my brain. Although Josh and I had a few end of the day private WTF conversations about either how much Robbie won or lost on a given day.

I’m more then willing to provide more details within reason.

8. Tuna

Tuna High-Roller

You can start with the hooker's phone number...

9. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is the way to do Vegas, baby

I skipped page 2 of the thread.

Private jets, ripped up markers, lots of liquor. Markers scare me because I do not like to lose more money than I planned. Which is a reason I quit trading on margin in my stock accounts(I don't like margin calls) and I pretty much quit trading options(I don't like the third friday of the month).

Those other things you mentioned, working out and working women I don't know much about.

Please post a thread like this again.

10. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As for sports betting. I bet on 6 football games. Lost all but 1. Even when my beloved Eagles won the game they didn't cover the spread! [I did place a bet on the Eagles going all the way while I was there, which I can now take down off my fridge :cry:]

Robbie was doing all these analytics on over/under bets and managed to lose every time. (I think he bet on 4 or 5 over/unders). I tried to get him to put a bet on his Lions, but he won't go near them (anymore).

Josh doesn't bet on sports. He was pretty much laughing at us (pros) the whole time.

11. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hooker? She said it was her college fund I was helping with! :D

12. resutoran

resutoran Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any memorable Josh encounters with the ladies? I read he was a real chick magnate in the first part and thought this would lead to something AWESOME! :thumbsup: Also any pics of the rooms? :faint:

13. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're a Birds fan too?!

Sweet.

A crying shame the season ended championship-less...again.

Solid trip report. It would be hard to go back out on a "normal" trip after experiencing that.

14. Jersey_Bill

Jersey_Bill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bo333 -

My apologies to all for contributing any bad karma in the thread and for doing anything to disrupt the discussion on what was a really great trip report. In reading your very impressive report, I just made the unfounded assumption that Robbie's money AROSE from day trading (my bad) - which is something a few of my friends tried in the 90s and got out of. None of them got "private jet" rich from it though they kept the wolf away. (There is always an exception though and one friend put his daughter through college on a position he took in Nikeii puts...)

I agree with you that trading companies these day - with the latest quant models and rapid, global execution - make massive profits. I see that the Chinese have discovered this also and the latest boiler rooms are getting established there - like everything else I guess. Where I work we lose so many talented young people to PE firms and trading shops - its like investment banking was as a career when I started on Wall Street.

My comment came from my observation that fewer individuals - AS individuals trading for themselves - elect a career in day trading these days - in part because of the competition from the new generation of trading houses. Back when execution was slow and volatility was high, there were lots of gaps to eke out a fortune from... but these days its my belief that its harder to manage this solo. Just my opinion.

I never called anyone a liar or challenged the truth of the story - and stated that I naturally believe what people tell me. I made the mistake of assuming that day trading was the explanation for the lear jet lifestyle - and that got my ears perked up... so I made a comment. My bad. The old "ass out of you and me" definition of the word "assume".

Anyway, you have nothing but my gratitude for putting this story out there for our enjoyment and appreciation. You do write well with a good edge of humor and understanding. I hope you continue and will look forward to reading more.

JZB

15. lobsterkmd

lobsterkmd Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome trip report Bo!! Loved reading every word of it!!!

:) Kristin

16. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report!

Loved the playing and partying style, reminds me of the Whale Jo reports Jaco does a little bit.

Maybe Convertible Bond Arbitrage or Hedge Fund Manager would make it more respectable than day-trading?:evillaugh

17. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No problems.
    We did get rid of more then half our traders the past 2 years. They couldn't handle the new market. Had a lot of trouble learning how to compete with the models.

18. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I grew up in Philly, so always a fan!

Yeah, going back in a couple months with my regular Vegas mates. Back to commercial :cry:

19. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There were a few funny stories but I try to keep my trip reports mostly PG rated :nono:.
    I picked up a very nice woman who had almost completely lost her voice. We still managed to communicate :wink2:

Picked up more playing craps then usual, the ladies are definitely getting into craps now.
    Being in Josh's wake when women are around is both a fun and disconcerting. He knows it's happening but he's so blase about it.

I don't think anyone took pictures of the rooms. I'll have to ask if anyone took any. I never think of taking pictures when I'm in Vegas other then when tasked to by my significant other.

20. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chester County here (King of Prussia-Valley Forge-Phoenixville area).

How long have you been in Austin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.