1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do you have a Smart Phone?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Sonya, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmsvss

jmsvss Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have the Motorola Droid. I like it for a lot of reasons now but the initial pull was because it has the slide and virtual qwerty keyboard. My iPhone friends find it to be too big and heavy but it suits me fine. I think people tend to get used to what the use most often so the change is always a little odd at first.

I did ALOT of research before getting it. CNET was very helpful. I knew I was staying with Verizon so iPhone was not even a possibility.

I never understood the allure of a smartphone until I got one - now I don't think I could go without one.

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what I think is going to happen to me. I don't technically "NEED" a smart phone, but I do have uses for one, especially when I'm not at home for an extended period. But I know once I get one, I won't want to go back. :)

3. Sheltie Lover

Sheltie Lover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love my Motorola Droid. Only have it a few weeks but love a lot about it.

4. S'AllGoodMan

S'AllGoodMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi,

I've got a Droid by HTC the Eris and I love it. Of course Verizon has already upgraded to a newer version of my phone and I'm sure it's great too. Kevin has the Motorola Droid and it is big and heavy because of the hard keyboard. Mine is small and light and just a touch screen.

I'm not sure if I'll use this new app... I tend to like to just use the web browser to access the site and everything works fine. It's one of my bookmarks. I will never be bored again!

You'll love it and wonder why you didn't upgrade sooner.

Have fun shopping,

Beth

5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband was in charge of a big project overnight and he got to bring home a Droid X. Yeah, I probably need one. :) The X was a little big for talking on the phone, but the screen size was nice.

When you browse the board on your phone, are you using the mobile link, or do you view it with the graphics?

6. keno

keno obsessed with countdown timers

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I can't deny the allure of a droid, I have a friend at work who has had the Palm Pre and now a Droid phone. He showed it to me, it's quite nice and very likable, until he started complaining about the stuff he didn't like about it.

I asked him simply, why didn't you get an iPhone then? (our work will buy us any phone we want....) He simply said.. well.. everyone has those.. and they don't have flash.

While it's true, they don't, but you need to look at the full feature set before making that assumption. The Android based phones have some GREAT features, but the iPhone does as well. Look at all phones and be honest on what you'll actually use it for. For me, the iPhone was the right choice (this is after years of only using Palm OS based devices, including working for Palm for 8 years). When the iPhone came out, I happily dropped my Treo, but just about dropped my iPhone for the Palm Pre (I so wanted to move back to a Palm device). But, the feature set just didn't match.

Again, do you own analysis. Think about how you're really going to use the phone then choose the right phone. Don't get swayed by the hype. Think about what YOU actually do, not what the media thinks you'll do. Do you REALLY want expandable memory (most don't use it.. I've done the studies)... Do you REALLY need a replaceable battery (I thought I might, but 3+ years on an iphone, it just isn't necessary).

Sure, I might sound like an iPhone fanboy right now, and I probably am, but it's only because it's so good. I mean, it forced me away from the company that was paying my bills (phone bills and paycheck...).

All that said, the droid phones are pretty nice as well. The Droid X is a nice improvement over the original Droid.

Now, my question is... what phone has netflix on it. Only one. For me, that is now a deciding factor. :)

7. Mycatspot

Mycatspot I drink my breakfast and play in my PJ's.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had two iPhones (I now have the 3G) since buying my first when the first generation model was released in 2007. I was a Blackberry user prior to that. Since getting my iPhone I find I no longer need a laptop and it really works like a portable computer.

As for message boards, I've looked at Tapatalk, but can't really get too excited about it. I just bookmark the web pages of the sites I use. (there are only a couple of them now)

8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in an area where phone service is spotty. The AT&T service is the worst in this area and the others aren't much better. Verizon seems to have a monopoly in this area just for their coverage. So, no iPhone for me.

Dan had a blackberry through work. It was like the BB bold, but not the bold. I forget. My complaint about the blackberry was the call quality. When he would call me from a noisy place it seemed like I could hear the racket in the background better than I could hear him talking into the phone. Once he called me from downtown Seattle and we couldn't have a conversation until he ducked into an office building where it was quiet.

9. S'AllGoodMan

S'AllGoodMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use the full site mode so I get all graphics. Right now I'm using my Ipod touch which is very similar in screen size and ease. I never carry around our laptop anymore.

I was totally against having smartphones. Who wants to pay $150 a month for cell phones?! But they are worth it and Verizon always has a bogo deal. We use them for the coverage too. I've never had a dropped call in 11 yrs.

Beth

10. keno

keno obsessed with countdown timers

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the iPhone is coming to Verizon as well, probably around the beginning of the year. Hard to say, it's all rumors right now, but it will arrive.

11. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have the samsung galaxy/ vibrant through tmobile and I love it. Full web browsing and a load of easy to use and usefull apps. Of course it would eb better still if they eleased the latest software for my phone so I can finally get tethering sorted out (although there is a work around) and tha I can finally use the phone at home to connect all of my network and stream to the tv via the phone etc...

12. happyhour

happyhour Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too have an iphone and I just accessed the site through my bookmarks and then added it to my home screen and into my "Vegas folder". I just click the icon and am on the site in seconds and it keeps me logged in. Gotta love iphones.

13. wetvegas

wetvegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have an iPhone & an iPad, i love the operating system.

14. joyglen

joyglen MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, I have a cell phone. I use the cell phone for important business calls and I have a personal one, another cell phone I use for a few personal calls.

I check my voice mail if I feel in a high tech mood.

SIDENOTE: I look at my cell phone bill for my business. I see a couple of my guys use like 50 times more min's then I do. I didn't know they were working so hard!

15. VegasDragon

VegasDragon Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have an Iphone but I don't really care for it that much. Verizon is in talks to offer service for the Ipad MAYBE. It is unlikely they will offer Iphone service as I was told they have to design around the chip that is use in the phone. If I change phones (only if this one breaks) I will consider a droid.

Yeah Vegas!
    Trip with my sweetie/suitee!!!
  16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got an HTC Incredible and I love it. My husband got a Droid X and he covets my phone. :) I'm becoming that person that is constantly attached to their phone.

17. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is an iPhone or Droid?

18. JarettK

JarettK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congratz on the phone. The Incredible was good, but there were major issues with HTC not being able to source enough screens for it because apple had all the distributors and manufacturers of a certain type of LCDs too busy (no joke). So the huge release HTC wanted to make with the Incredible couldnt keep up with demand.

I have an original Droid, Ive been a heavy android user since it was beta on other devices. I'll be getting a dual core LG as soon as they are available. I can't wait to run VMWares new software that lets you virtualize the phone into 2. one part for work with your work number, the other part personal. The 2 OSes run at the same time, don't know about each other, and can't interact. Im a geek and it's a pain to carry alot of devices.

Lately I have been testing Android 2.3 Gingerbread on my Droid. It's looking REALLY cool.. Plus, you can use VOIP (voice over IP) on Gingerbread, so you don't even have to use your carrier like Verizon at all for calls.

I also have an iPad which I love. (very into photography, so it's the best portable portfolio ever) I was never fond of the iPhones though. Plus I hate ATT.

19. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got another email from Tapatalk saying that they now have an app for Windows Mobile 6.5.
    "The nifty little app is called "RapidRead", allows you to access just the same set of forums available on Tapatalk, runs on any Windows Mobile 6.X devices such as HTC HD2. "

I also have a really basic version of the board (no images, no timers, etc) that can be used pretty easily on phone browsers at: http://mobile.vegasmessageboard.com/

Please let me know if you have any questions about any of these options.

20. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Smartphone

So how does a non smartphone user make the choice to go with a smartphone? What does everyone have and would you choose the same thing today or would you go a different direction?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.