1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Whooo-hooooo, we're booked!!

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Paka, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paka

Paka Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Didn’t think we were going to be able to get back out until August, but things changed for the better for my hubby at work and now we’ve got a trip booked for June! [​IMG] Going from Sat. the 5th to Sat. the 12th, though as with many of our trips much time will be spent in places in the region other than Vegas. Got a good price on the flight with Southwest out of Tampa–- we like to fly with them out of Tampa because of their N/S early morning flight out and later N/S return flight, and since my mom lives there we can get dropped off and picked up at the airport, saving us on the parking cost and hassle. Also got a fairly decent rate on the rental car with Dollar, knocking off 10% with the VGCOM code.

Heading straight up to Utah to Zion the first day (with probably a stop at Mesquite along the way for a slot fix, hehehehe) and staying at the Desert Pearl. Spending Sunday in the area then driving up to Delta, Utah and staying at a Best Western there Sunday and Monday night. Delta is a small town in the middle of nowhere; reason we go up there (this will be our third time) is because of a very cool fossil quarry about an hour’s drive from there, even more out in the middle of nowhere. I’m into paleontology a bit, and the quarry there is loaded with trilobites and other fossils, the shale there being mid-cambrian in age, around 520 million yrs. old. Cracking open rock all day might not sound like fun, but it is VERY much so, extremely addictive. For me, anyways... lucky I have a husband who goes along with it. [​IMG] So we’ll spend all day Monday doing that, then head back to Vegas Tuesday and stop by Great Basin National Park along the way. Great Basin N.P., and the Lehman Caves located there are very beautiful, and the drive back to Vegas on 93 is pretty too, plus there are several nice state parks near Pioche.

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights we’ll be in Vegas and staying at the Trop. I know some people aren’t fond of it, but we love the Trop because of the liberal comps and great pool area. Excellent location too. We prefer the Island tower rooms because–- though a bit worn–- they are very convenient to the pool and have great big tubs that we like. Anyway, planning to have some nice meals, hit a show, take in the sights, hit some of the rides and attractions, play the slots until are fingers are numb... all the usual, all the things that we are absolutely in LOVE with Vegas for. Still deciding on some of the exact details.

Then Friday we’ll head out to Death Valley and spend that night at the Furnace Creek Ranch. Probably play a round of golf while there too. Sounds nuts, but we’ve done that before, except last time we played in late July (2002). It WAS broiling; awhile after our mid-afternoon round, we saw a thermometer in the shade that read 125. We like to brag a bit about having done that, lol. ;) Pretty good deal too... we got 9 holes, cart, rental clubs, balls, coolers with water all for $25 each. And not surprisingly either we had the course to ourselves.

Saturday back to Vegas early, and kill a few hours there before our flight. I am SO excited about our trip lol, T-about 90!! :D

2. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, that sounds like quite the trip! Enjoy! [​IMG]

3. Paka

Paka Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks bigdogmom!! [​IMG]

I find myself browsing the various Vegas boards even more than before now, I need my Vegas fix sooooo bad! [​IMG]

4. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Paka:

There is sure plenty of info and advice on LV everywhere! It keeps me enthused from one trip to another but more importantly, if you get the information, sort through it, make lists (stay flexible)and make choices, when you get there you will spend less time running from one place to another and more time seeing and doing things. I just returned and acomplished more in the free time before and during my trade show than I have done in the past, and it was due to preplanning what I thought I would like to do. I didn't get to do it all of course but that's what next time is for!

Jimbo

5. LKN-NC

LKN-NC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Paka --
    The Desert Pearl Inn is wonderful -- we stayed there one night (June 8) last year. We took 9 days for our trip, starting with a night in Las Vegas then making the loop fromValley of Fire to Zion to Grand Canyon North Rim to Bryce Canyon NP and back to Las Vegas for 2 final nights.
    There is another awesome place to stay at Bryce Canyon, called the Stone Canyon Inn. It's a B&B run by a couple who are a lot of fun and they are really into exploring the parks around southern Utah. I highly recommend it for your next trip -- it's a perfect jumping off place for Escalante-Grand Staircase NP.
    It's such a contrast -- the desert nat'l parks are so undescribably beautiful. Then coming back to Las Vegas and all the things we love about being there. Just about a perfect vacation trip.
    I am envious -- all we have time for this year is a long weekend a couple weeks after you will be there.
    Have a great time!

6. Billy from TX.

Billy from TX. Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Paka,

Glad that you'll be making it back sooner than you thought. Its always nice to get a extra trip thrown in the year.

7. Paka

Paka Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, all!! [​IMG]

Jimbo- Yep, all the info out there is not only enjoyable to read, but a huge help in making decisions... for example, based on what I've read here, we're thinking we're going to try Moongate at the Mirage this trip. I've been out to Vegas seven times now and my husband more, but there is still so, so much there we want to see and do that we haven't yet.

BridgePlayer- Oh yes, we love Bryce too! :cool: Beautiful place; we did a canyon rim horseback ride which was really neat. Thanks for the recommendation on the B&B! We stayed at Ruby's Inn before, which was very nice. And I can't say enough about how nice the people there were-- I had come down with a bad case of food poisoning in Vegas (though I think it might have been caused by the water), and was so sick the day we got to Bryce. When my husband mentioned the situation, they let us book an extra night right then as our first day was shot, and folks in the restaurant even sent up Sprite and crackers to help settle my stomach.

We've been to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon twice and love it too. [​IMG] We've been to the South Rim three times, but I like the North Rim better because of it being less crowded and the area prettier (IMO).

We love that whole region of the country so much... got some of our previous trip pics scattered here and here

Billy- Oh yeah!!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.