1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A few things...

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Beef, Apr 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beef

Beef Low-Roller

My Trip Report

Work trip April 21-25. Stayed at Luxor, worked next door at MB every day.

Cabride from airport:

Me: Luxor, please. No tunnel, thanks.
    Cabbie: Where?

M: Luxor, please. No tunnel, thanks.
    C: I won't take tunnel. (in a what-a-dick-you-are-for-saying-so tone)

No conversation en route. Arrive at Luxor, I give him my fare plus a dollar seventy tip. I ask for a receipt, instead of just giving me one, he writes down every item of info on it beforehand. Then he sits in his seat, obviously not planning on getting out to unload my bags.

M: Is the back open?
    C: Yeah, it's open.

I fumble a bit with it as the handle is under a big ad on the back door, he does not move from his seat. I get my bag and leave the trunk open so he will have to get out. As I am walking toward the hotel:

Cabbie: (yelling) How about some common courtesy, man? You don't close the door, you don't tip s**t, you don't do s**t!

Me: F**K OFF!!! YOU don't do shit!!

Many people turn to look as a bellman shuts the trunk and shoos the cab away.

That is it for me with cabs. Every time I have been in Vegas for the last 2 years I have had some issue with some crook loser scumbag cabbie. I am renting cars from now on, and will keep a slave designated driver with me. A dollar seventy is no tip? WTF? How could he have expected more for his asshole demeanor and no conversation? Unbelievable.

Straight dudes like myself should be aware that the men's spa at Luxor is a gay hangout. Hey gay guys: not everyone in the spa is gay. Get a clue if someone isn't engaging you in conversation. And put on some goddamn swim trunks.

I did hit a VP royal flush on Tues. I am one of those people that never have a winning trip, no jackpots ever, so that was cool. Spent some on a great sushi dinner, some more on booze & light gambling. Actually came home with money this time. I gave it to the wife.

Stayed pretty much on the Mandalay mile as I was working most of the time and was boycotting cabs. I did make it over to the Orleans (rental car) one evening, I have to say that place was fun as hell. Good vibe, good gaming, and the cocktail girls are amazing. God I love cocktail waitresses.

That's all I got people. The fun trip will be in Aug.

2. Dougie

Dougie I am IN!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have made it my policy to argue with every cabbie that tries to screw me. Its fun and I like making a scene. It all started with a 22.00 ride from the airport to NY NY. I told the cabby it should have been about 8 bucks had he not taken the tunnel. And thats all he got. After that, my group took 2 cabs from Mirage to NYNY. My ride was 6 bucks, right down the strip. My wife and sisters fare was 13.50. I confronted the cab slug, and paid him $8. He got pist, and let me know it. I asked him if he wanted to call the police and have them settle it. Nothing more was said.

Bazootch

3. Woodsy

Woodsy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My last trip to Vegas was the first time we used cabs. One of the cabbies took us "around the strip" (we were going from Bellagio to Rivera) to avoid the traffic and the waiting charges. Sounded good to me. That is, until the trip cost about $5 more than previous rides... :mad:

Live and learn

4. Little Bob

Little Bob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some communities regulate cabs by having a zone system. Your fare is a fixed amount within the zone and a fixed amount for travel between zones plus any adjustments for extra riders, airport surcharge, etc. I thought it worked well where I have seen it used. Just curious, I am going to Vegas next month and will stay at the Imperial Palace. I am assuming cab fare from the airport should be in the $12-14 range plus tip. Does that sound about right?

5. Dougie

Dougie I am IN!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thats about right, with no tunnel. I think cabs now charge by time, not distance. Am i right?

6. Woodsy

Woodsy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They actually get you both ways. While the car is moving you are charged by the mile (I actually think it's per 1/9 mile). When the car is stopped you're charged a timed fee. It seemed to come out to .36 per minute.

It seems that if you are planning to use a cab more than twice a day it would cost less to rent a car than use the wonderful cabs while in Vegas.

7. Lynne in the Falls

Lynne in the Falls Tourist

Why not grab the shuttle service. It's right outside the door near the baggage claim. I think we paid $15.00 return to go to the Imperial Palace. You just let them know when you want them to pick you up for your return trip to the airport.It costs a bit more to off the strip hotels, but at least you know up front what you're paying. (especially if you're not sharing the cost of the cab with anyone)

Lynne in the Falls ;)

8. KW2LAS

KW2LAS Tourist

I have had a few bad cab experiences in Las Vegas, but I don't think I have ever paid more than $8 (without tip) for a cab ride, except to downtown. Bad was the time we got a two-footed driver, one on the gas and one on the brake simultaneously. But, the worst was the time our cab actually broke down. We were a few blocks (felt like a few miles) off of the strip behind some huge construction zone, and the cab just quit. The driver, who spoke very little english, offered no solution other than a futile attempt to restart the cab. So I threw him $5 (meter said about $3) out of pity, and hoofed it back to the MGM. It was a long walk with a slightly surreal feel.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the tunnel? I have neve encountered it in my many trips to Vegas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.