1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Trip Report 6/26-7/3

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by grenadier, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grenadier

grenadier Tourist

My Trip Report

TRIP REPORT 6/26 - 7/3
    PRELIMINARY REMARKS
    For those seeking flowery prose, hour by hour details or news of large wins, read no further. For those who are interested in a few facts and some opinions, read on.
    This trip was unplanned as we already visited Vegas for 7 days around Super Bowl and have another 14 day trip booked for the end of September. However, while perusing Continental Airlines website I found a return fare for $288 Cdn, taxes included. Given that the normal fare from Ottawa or Montreal are at least $150 Cdn more, I just couldn't pass it up.
    FLIGHTS
    Continental Airlines, Ottawa - Newark - Vegas - return. Left about 1 hour late which remained costant until our arrival in Vegas at 11:30 p.m. Very good airline. Prompt and efficient service and even a small snack. Flight home was on time and uneventful.
    RENTAL CAR
    Dollar using DESTC code. Had booked an economy for $127.00 including taxes for the week. Shuttle was at curbside within 2 minutes and 2/3 minutes later in Dollar lot having told driver I was a Fastlane Member. He dropped us off at the compact line and I mentioned I had an upgrade certificate and asked if I had to go inside. He said no, just tell "Gord" the upgrade guy, who was waiting beside the cars. Showed him my certificate and he said there were no intermediates left so I would have to take the full size Buick!!! On our way within 5 munutes. Return at the end of the trip was equally painless. Highly recommend Dollar.
    HOTEL
    The Suncoast has been our home away from home for some time. We are not big time players, but our play is sufficient to warrant comped rooms for each visit. Although away from the strip, we love the hotel and staff. Good gaming, adequate restaurants and terrific service.
    GAMING
    In addition to the Suncoast, we played at the Marriott, Palms, Sunset Station, Boulder Station, Sahara, Mandalay Bay, Flamingo, Hilton, Golden Gate, 4 Queens, Ellis Island, Bellagio, Ceasars Palace, Circus Circus and Slots of Fun. (The latter two being a last day tradition). We fared well at the Suncoast, (one $600 jackpot) the Palms and Caesars Palace where we had 6/7 hand pays within a period of half an hour. Most of our play was slots, although we were remarkably lucky and thus successful at the Roulette tables at the Suncoast.
    DINING
    There were a few firsts for us this time. Buffet at the Bellagio for dinner on Canada's Birthday was a disappointment. While the variety of food and service were excellent, the quality could only be described as average. This was a freebee. I wouldn't pay the price to eat at this buffet again, nor would I spend 2 hours in line waiting to get in.
    The best deal we found was the unadvertised $4.95 steak special at Ellis Island. The special is served with soup/salad, choice of potato, and a cooked vegetable. I guarantee you the steak we had was every bit as good as those we had at Blackstones in January.. I don't know of a better deal (except the Suncoast $0.99 breakfast) in town.
    Was also disappointed in the lunch time buffet at the Orleans. Although for the price, I would still recommend it.
    We had lunch at Bootleggers on the recommendation of a LVTalk boardmember. Delighted we followed his advice. If this restaurant doesn't serve the finest Italian cuisine in Vegas, I would be very surprised. In my opinion, Battistas does not stack up. The service was excellent and the food even better. This will become a must visit for every future trip.
    MISCELLANEOUS COMMENTS
    I wish someone would pass a law that required men to remove their ridiculous headwear in any dining area.
    What is the big deal with Krispy Kreme donuts?????????? To those of you that rave about them, I can only say, go visit a Tim Hortons!!!
    Smokers can find Marlboros for $26.99 a carton at several locations. One that I remember is the ARCO station on the east side of Paradise Road, a couple of blocks north of Flamingo.
    My biggest disappointment was the buffet at Bellagio.
    I had two great moments. The first was seeing the love of my life hit a $600 jackpot playing "Triple Bonus Bucks" and the second was the look of disbelief in my daughter's eyes when we surprised her in the lobby of her hotel. She was in Vegas for a 4 day weekend with 3 friends, with whom I had arranged the surprise, she was unaware that we were in town. It was one of life's wonderful moments.
    Happy to answer any questions people might have, either on the board or by e-mail if you prefer.

Grenadier
    [​IMG]

[ July 10, 2002, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: grenadier ]

2. Michele

Michele Tourist

GRENADIER, it sounds like you had a wonderful time. Also, it is so much nicer when we share our vacations with the people we love because we will always have those happy memories to relive. In addition, I am glad to hear that you won a jackpot. Would you be kind enough to review the directions to Dollar when I am ready to return the car? Can you tell me the Las Vegas Blvd way? Or anothe rway too would be good? Thank you, Michele

3. grenadier

grenadier Tourist

Michelle
    Take LV Blvd to Tropicana. Go east on Tropicana to Paradise. South on Paradise and follow the signs to rental car road. The entrance for return at Dollar is about 300 yards on the left.

Grenadier :D

4. GNH2000

GNH2000 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice Report! [​IMG]

5. greaseball

greaseball Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From one canuck to another good job. Now if we could only get a better deal on our cash!!! Mind you it is nice when you win a few shots and get paid with that real money.Curious if you book your hotel and airfare separate or as a package.

6. grenadier

grenadier Tourist

Greaseball
    Even before we started to receive comped rooms, we always found it less expensive to book airfare and hotel separately.
    If you have a bit of time each day, check several consolidator websites as well as each airlines site. That's how I found the $288 Cdn fare.

Grenadier [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.