1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Starting a Poll

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by HoyaHeel, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To start a poll, first start a new thread (button on upper left of screen) Write what you want, then scroll down to the bottom of the page and select "yes, post a poll with this thread" and type in the number of poll options you want. A wizard should then bring you through naming those options (I'm not going to do it right now so I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone else will type in the correct order)

----------------------------------------
    Added by Sonya to clarify with graphics
    ----------------------------------------

To start a poll, start a new thread by clicking on this button in the upper left of the screen:
    [​IMG]

The next window will look like this:
    [​IMG]

Enter your title and the message you want at the top of the thread. This will appear BELOW the actual poll.

Scroll down to where is says "Additional Options" below the message box like this:
    [​IMG]

Be sure you click the box where it says "Yes, post a poll with this thread". You can also select the number of options you'll have.
    Then click the "Submit New Thread" button and you'll be taken to the next window.

[​IMG]

This is where you enter your poll question and the options for other members to choose from.
    You can also select the number of days you want the poll to remain open, whether you want to allow people to select more than one option, and if you want to make the votes public. Making them public will reveal which usernames voted for which option.

Then click on "Submit New Poll" and it should be ready to go! Hope that helps. Don't hesitate to ask here or send me a PM if you're having trouble.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
  2. Perry Spring

Perry Spring Tourist

That is very helpful, thanks very much....

3. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    PS You can start a poll in any forum with any thread--so if it's appropriate topically, you can start a poll in another forum if you want. Sonya just created this forum to keep them all together for ease of reading & voting......

4. DaveP

DaveP VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Multiple Questions?

Is there a way to post multiple questions in a poll with this new software? I remember you could in the old version, but can't seem to find a way now.

5. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dave, you've gone beyond my capabilities (because I'm a bad admin/moderator and haven't actually read the manual that Sonya told us was available to read) But I'll check with some people who might have read it and see ;)

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't find any information on this other than people asking the programmers of this software to figure out a way to do it. :)

I think the UBB software we used to use could do it, but vbulletin doesn't seem to be able to. I'll keep my eyes open for an update or hack that will allow it.

7. DaveP

DaveP VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to both of you for your responses. It's not a big deal. I don't have any multi-question polls I'm just itching to post.

8. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just tried to staRT A poll and it never took me to the wizard to do so

9. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's working for me. Are any other parts of the board not showing up for you? (graphics, avatars, signatures, etc?) Also, be sure you're checking the "This is a poll" box below the message box. I'll keep looking for a problem, but it seems to be working for me.

10. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no i tried to make a poll by clicking on the add a poll and it doesnt give me the places to add the options

11. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That happens AFTER you write the dialog box with the main post - did you get that far? It's still working fine for me - there are just a few steps you have to go through to do it. Have you been able to do it successfully in the past?

12. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I typed in the box, put a heading. and then i clicked the box that said add a poll, changed my options and it never gave me the place to put the options!

13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sporty, I've tried, but I can't duplicate your problem. I've edited the first post in this thread to add some graphics which hopefully will make the process more clear.

Use the link I've put there to send me a PM if you're still having trouble. Sorry this has been so much trouble.

14. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    got it now!!

15. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HUZZAH! I knew we'd get it eventually. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.