1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

8/2-8/5 Just back MBay

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by RandomTask, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandomTask

RandomTask Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Quick and dirty report. Spent almost all the time at MB.

Cab: Long hauled but didn't feel like getting my traveling partners riled up so I kept my mouth shut.

Hotel: Mandalay Bay. First time guests. Hadn't set foot on the property since the early 00's. God I am horrible at picking lines. I'd much rather they had a single queue instead of individual lines. Anyway, checkin took forever at Sunday 1PMish. Attempted the 20 dollar bribe and she literally threw my 20 back at me. Ouch. My god, the elevators. A line to get to my room? WTF is this garbage? A security guy showed us the service elevators and I took those a couple of times. Just act like you know what you are doing and they let us be. Standard room facing West.

Pool: What a clusterfu this place is. Narrow pathways and children with innertubes aren't a good match. We took advantage of the 100 dollar cabana credit and that is quite simply the only way I could tolerate the pool scene there. Frankly I found the pool complex to be kind of overrated. Cabana service was non existent. Took a couple of hours for an attendant to come by. 18 dollars for a slurpee with half a shot of rum and a Gatorade? I know it's vegas but wow.

Food/Beverage: Cocktail service was mediocre.
    Stripsteak - Great steak. I liked the meal, the other half wasn't as impressed but that's more of a dietary thing. Used the Restaurant.com $50 gift cert that I got for pennies. Sweet deak, Seated next to the most annoying MOFO of all time. Dbag written all over him but thankfully we were almost done.

Bayside Buffet - Standard buffet fare, nothing distinctive either way.

RM - Had a salad and chowder as others had sushi.

Border Grill - Watermelon lemonade YUM YUM. Food was decent, pricey but restaurant.com GC to the rescue.

Grand Luxe - There is a reason we monohoofed up the strip and back for this. I love this place.

Raffles - What is it about LV and overpriced milkshakes? Any how, split the club to go along with the aforementioned shake. Would have considered it again.

Eye Candy - Kind of cool. Love the concept of having a "clubesque" atmosphere that us commoners can hit up.

Rum Jungle - Had some drinks here. Pretty good. The trip to the restrooms is a little scary. Very dark, I can only imagine what happens when it turns into a club.

Gambling: My best trip ever. We're low stakes players. Ideally just like to play and get drinks. Little risk, little reward. Hit a 390 payout on my .60 wager on some machine with women in lingerie. Score. Put 100 into a Majestic Lions machine with the idea of only playing 33 spins and walking away. Well on spin 5, we hit for 200. Cashout. Played some deal or no deal, wizard of oz, jackpot party village people, a little sigma derby (my favorite game but it wasn't in the cards to play much this trip). I didn't feel like it was pure donation to MGM on my wagering, which is nice. I take money that I willing to lose, I just want some playback.

Random musings:
    I dislike children. They aren't cute running around, it's not funny when they run into me. If I had done that as a kid, I would have had a very sore ass.

It's called a sideWALK. Not sideSTAND and take up all the fucking path so we can't get by.

If you are taking a picture, please be considerate of us trying to navigate the area.

I shouldnt be copping a feel or rubbing up on the grandma in front of me in the elevator because people keep squeezing in and I have nowhere to go as I am in the corner.

I hate lines and they are everywhere.

I had never seen things so busy as I did this past sunday night. Recession? Both flights were full as well.

I really have no use for people.

All in all it was a good trip. Lots of bitching above but we enjoyed ourselves. Doubt we'd staying at MB again. Just too far away, I knew that going in but really wanted to do the pool thing. I think next time it will be Mirage or MGM.

2. Coach Terry

Coach Terry Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you know my wife -I would swear she wrote this! :)

3. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny TR...Loved it...hey do you know my EXWife, I think she may have contributed to this. :poke:

4. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for posting. Sorry so many things didn't go well for you. Though, the gambling turned out o.k. Hope your next trip is better.

later, GVJ

5. RandomTask

RandomTask Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do bitch a lot. The trip was good. It was just different than our previous trips. Much less time playing and more hanging out at the pool. Cabana sticker shock will do that.

6. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:

Spot on, Hell, I'm 43 and my Dad will still knock me upside my head. Just remember, these kids are our future!

No reason to go home yet.
  7. zerofan

zerofan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The OP rules!!!! I agree with almost everything he said.......there are 2 things I want to mention though.....

1. The $20 trick is tried by EVERYONE so it is no longer a trick! It is now silly. You can get the same upgrades at most properties by being polite and asking nicely.

2. The recession has not stopped people from flocking to Vegas, it has stopped them from gambling in Vegas....they still eat and see shows so it is still going to be crowded there no matter what happens with the economy.

Funny report! I love it!

8. petunia

petunia Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry about your experiences. I am going there in a few days and I hope it's not as crowded as it was for your trip. This will be my 3rd time there, though I don't usually like to go in the summer. I've never had long lines or waits for elevators. Now I am worried. Thanks for the warnings.

9. Bralo20

Bralo20 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report, enjoyed reading it. Could agree on some parts but on the other side, people with children have also the right to take a holiday. As long as they don't cry the whole time or don't disturb me to much I don't care.

;)

10. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report.

Sorry you didn't like me sitting next to you at dinner. J/K:confused2:

11. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    awwwwww

I was at the MBay about a month ago and didn't have any problems , quite enjoyed the place, 2nd time staying there now too

ty for sharing your experiences

12. Calipso

Calipso MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea, they have the right to take a holiday..........somewhere that ISN'T Vegas! :vomit:

13. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I found your TR really amusing........who among us hasn't felt that way from time to time in Vegas.....you just said it out loud! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.