1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My very first trip report

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Vegas Vampire, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegas Vampire

Vegas Vampire Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

July 6 -11

I don't remember the exact order of things, but here's some of our experiences:

Flight and Limo
    Southwest direct flight from Albany NY arrived in Vegas 20 minutes early. As usual with SWA, it was a nice, easy flight. The staff is always wonderful. Flight back was just as easy and uneventful.

Had always used Bell-Trans limos, but decided to use Presidential because of the reviews on this forum. Glad I did! The driver was awesome took us all the way down the strip and then took us back to the hotel. He was full of helpful info about construction, shows, etc. The lady that drove us back to the airport also gave us a nice ride around the strip. I am now hooked on Presidential.

Bill's Gamblin' Hall
    We had originally planned to stay at TI, but my BF had talked to someone who had stayed at Bill's Gamblin' Hall and was impressed by the short walk from the room to the strip, so Bill's it was. We got 5 nights for $250 and the room was adorable. It's not luxurious or super big, but it was more than adequate. Being from the east coast, we are used to rooms that are three times the price and nowhere as nice. (Didn't mean to rhyme.)

We were dropped at the side door (Bally's side) and walked about 4 feet to the desk. Check in was uber quick as we were the only people in line. The elevators were just steps away and we were in our room within minutes of arrival.

Still hate the name change. Barbary Coast sounded a lot nicer.

Blondie's @ PH
    Hungry and tired, we decided to eat right away and walked to PH because I had a Restaurant.com coupon worth $25 at Blondie’s. The waitress told me they no longer accepted them. I told her I had JUST bought it on 6/27/08. That didn’t matter, they had decided not to take them any more. You're kidding? They aren't going to honor the ones already purchased? She said I could go talk to the manager. I don't usually speak up, but I said he should come talk to me. She came back saying "I'm sorry but he said he is too busy to come over but he'll give you 25% off your bill." He was real busy--sitting in a chair. I don't know why I agreed to this arrangement. We were very hungry and hadn't checked the prices on the menu and too lazy to find an alternative. But I am SO sorry we stayed. I got a grilled cheese that was disgusting (how do you mess up grilled cheese?) and steak fries that were inedible. BF got a bacon cheeseburger that was just average and onion rings that weren't bad. We also got two sodas. The bill AFTER the 25% discount was $35. For that crap! We're not cheap, but come on. Please, do yourself a favor and skip this joint. I know it shouldn't have, but it completely soured me on PH.

Palazzo
    My first time there--thought it was lovely. Played a slot machine with an Irish theme and made about $100. Meant to go back, but we never found time.

Pai Gow
    Lost $380 in 4 hours playing Pai Gow at Bill's. I had never asked to be rated before, but thought I'd give it a try. I was playing $40 a hand and ended up with a comp value of $1.00, so I guess it's not worth it for people like me.

Ellis Island
    Having read here about their steak special, we took the short walk to EI. BF had the steak and I had Fettuccini Alfredo. It was awesome and our waitress was amazing. The bill came to about $16 and my BF tipped her $20. Tipping by percentages just doesn't seem fair.

We went back later in the week because we had a buy one entree, get one free coupon. I got the Fettuccini again (I'm a vegetarian so I don't have a lot of choices) and BF got some chicken dish. Food was still great, but the service was sub par--we got a waiter who seemed oblivious to his customers. He got a $5 tip.

I lost $40 in the Wheel of Fortune slots there and about $40 at the blackjack table. I didn't have much luck this trip!

Double Down Saloon
    I loved this place. My bf walked in and immediately wanted to leave. He adjusted to it, though. Saw one great band, Antique Scream, and one crappy band. The people there were all very friendly. I'll definitely return.

House of Blues
    BF and I both chose the baked macaroni and cheese for lunch and I had a Rum Runner, which was not nearly as good as Margaritaville's. The m & c was yummy though.

Siegfried and Roy's Secret Garden
    It's not as gay as it sounds.:wink2: I surprised BF with this because he is a sucker for wildlife. The baby tigers were SO cute. Unfortunately, the big cats were sleeping so we didn't get great views. The dolphins were awesome, too.

Shark Reef
    It's definitely not the New England Aquarium, but it's OK. BF loved the Komodo dragon and the sharks. I was kind of unimpressed with the dragon. I don't know what I was expecting, but he's kind of blah to look at. He probably thought the same thing about me.

I had done this exhibit back in 2000 and was hoping it had expanded. It hasn't.

NYNY Rollercoaster
    Thankfully, we had a 2-for-1 coupon because it would have been $14 each. It's not worth that!

Peppermill
    Something I'd always wanted to do and I finally did it. I love the neon 80s look inside!! Too bad there was a screaming child at the next booth. Why do restaurants always sit everyone on top of each other?

McFadden's and Downtown
    We took the Deuce to Freemont. This is only the second trip that I've been downtown and I absolutely love it. We successfully used a $25 coupon from restaurants.com @ McFadden's and enjoyed the food, service and the terrific cover band.

I tried to win a Corvette at Fitzgerald’s with no luck. Apparently no one has been lucky because it was the exact same car that was there December 2006!

Downtown is so much more relaxed and everyone is so happy and friendly. We think we may stay at the Golden Nugget next time.

The surprise
    BF got down on one knee and gave me a gorgeous engagement ring. It was so sweet!! I love Vegas even more now! We are probably going to do the deed September 2009 and we'll be honeymooning in Vegas!

Rio
    Had 2-for-1 buffet coupon so we took the shuttle from Paris. Buffet was very good. This was my first trip to the Rio and I thought it was pretty nice.

Coupon Books
    I had never used any coupons in Vegas before. Armed with the ACG and POV books, we saved a lot of $. However, lugging it all around was a pain. Since airfare was more than I'd ever paid before, it was good to save on other things.

We had a great time and can't wait to return!!

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congratulations on your engagement! That will sure make ANY trip memorable:thumbsup:

3. Thor

Thor Beer Drinker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    awesome report and congrats on your engagement! i did the same thing to my girlfriend during spring break, we're heading back next week to get married! nothing like a vegas wedding!!! :beer::beer::beer:

4. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report

Congratulations on you engagement. I love Downtown also.

5. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well congratulations! :beer: How wonderful to get engaged in Vegas! I like the way you wrote your report....very easy and enjoyable to read....thanks for sharing!

6. sunni

sunni VIP Whale

engagement

VV, sounds like a fun trip. Where were you when he proposed ?:wave:

7. Vegas Vampire

Vegas Vampire Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were in front of the Golden Nugget. He had been trying to find the perfect place/time and something would always go wrong.....we would be in a quiet restaurant and a rowdy group or a grumpy baby would plop down next to us. So, I was walking down Freemont saying how happy I was and how much I loved Vegas and loved him and he just dropped down and did it. I know it sounds kind of lame, but it was really sweet.

Thanks everyone for the congrats and nice words!! :nworthy:

8. co21ss

co21ss Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on the engagement!
    Great first TR.

9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it sounds wonderful! More heartfelt and realistic than people who spend way too much time & money coming up with something "perfect" that just seems so fake & staged to me....

PS Extra good reason to stay at Golden Nugget next time!!

10. Little Bob

Little Bob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congratulations!! Enjoyed your report.

11. tanswa

tanswa Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congradulations on the engagement, it is great to bring back good memories to hold onto.
    Great tr

12. SlowRoller

SlowRoller Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You took the words right out of my mouth. It doesn't sound lame at all.

I've heard of people flying all the way to France for a one nighter to do it under the Eiffel Tower. Talk about fake and stagged...

13. Leeza14

Leeza14 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great TR and of course congrats!! Enjoyed reading about your trip...

14. peanutmnm

peanutmnm Scotchy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What a cool story. Congrats!

15. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    congrats on the engagement.

16. mbnortherngirl

mbnortherngirl Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyed reading your TR report
    Congrats on the engagment!!

17. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the TR. And, congratulations on your engagement.

GVJ

18. jillmn

jillmn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congratulations on your engagement! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the TR. And give PH another chance! Blondie's isn't in/owned by PH, it's in Miracle Mile mall, so don't hold it against 'em! :peace:

19. shitzumama

shitzumama Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats. Very romantic IMO.

20. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congratulations on the engagement! Your proposal sounds like it was perfect. Mine contained the words "... we've been together a long time and stuff...". Trust me, yours sounds great. :haha:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.