1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

End of March Girls Getaway......

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by jgates8, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

My March Madness (slightly delayed) trip report......

After staying up LATE Tues night to try to get a 'fly now' on an earlier NWA flight (without success), I decided to just give up and head to Eau Claire earlier in the day. I thought I was doing great when the guy at the counter got me on the earlier small flight to the Twin Cities. But, despite what NWA had told me at 1 in the morning, he could only guarantee the first leg. So when I got to Mpls, I RAN (no time for lunch I guess!) to my gate and waited on stand-by. Luckily NWA followed normal cruddy service and other people did NOT get in on time, so they had 3 seats open up and I was able to get to Vegas early.

Arrived at around 4:30 Vegas time rather than 11 pm. Picked up my car at Emerald Aisle and zipped to Bill's. Checked in and had my $100 food comps from promo loaded on my card. Supper was at the Victorian Room and Hue was my server. By far the best food service of the trip - he was outstanding. I had a great steak also. Spent way too much time & money in Bill's that night but at least the first night the $ did last quite awhile. My promo to get the food comps was for 2 free nights. I had Paris booked for the next night so I would have to cruise back to Bill's to check out - not a problem. I had a ton of food comps left too. All in all my aunt & I would end up eating at VRoom 2 more times together and two more times alone for me and I would still have comps left because of the gambling I did there also. Room at Bill's was fine and I would have no problem staying there again.

Headed over with my bags to Paris in the morning & left the car with Valet. Was able to check into my room around 10 in the morning. 21st Floor if I remember correctly - and I normally freak out if I am above floor 8. I drug my bags up myself as I had forgot singles and had no 'tip' cash, LOL. Gambled some at Paris, walked back to Bills for lunch. Didn't do much of anything exciting that day. Headed to pick up my aunt at the airport later that evening.

The days pretty much blur together, however, we had some wonderful highlights on the trip.

* Penn & Teller - Absolutely AWESOME show. Being from the midwest we laughed hysterically at the cow-tipping references, while I am sure about 70% of the audience was trying to figure out WHAT in the blazes they were talking about. I would go to see that show again in a heartbeat.

* RUB BBQ - We didn't give ourselves quite enough time so we needed to eat quickly before the P/T show. We asked if we would be able to get in and out in an hour and they said no problem. We had our food within minutes. Server said it was normally very fast as all of the meats are prepared - unless you order a deep-fried appetizer, etc. - something that might need prep work. Despite reading only very poor reviews we absolutely loved the food - it was fantastic. We were totally stuffed and nearly had to waddle to P & T!!

* Neon Boneyard - Fantastic experience and I am so glad we did it. They did indicate when they get all their funding and have the new center opened (in the former LaConcha motel lobby shell) it will be cleaned up in the yard(s) and more 'family friendly' which means you may not be able to get as close to some of the signs etc as you can now - they figure more children will tour also and of course injury risk, etc. So they said it is a good time to tour it now. HOT and windy and dusty that day. I got a bit pink.

* Bellagio Conservatory / Chocolate Fountain - almost forgot AGAIN to go back in the corner and see the Chocolate Fountain. However, my aunts son (although I always call him my nephew as my aunt & I grew up together like sisters) had the camera battery die - we headed back to the gift shop and there it was!! Someone was watching over me so I didn't miss it again!

* Outlet Mall - Well, we managed to miss this getting off the interstate - ended up 4 miles east on Charleston. I don't consider it that easy to spot coming in from the South - probably easier from the north end. Now at least I know how to get there. The newest wing was not open yet (no Dooney & Bourke - DARN!!). However, I made up for it at Coach - yikes! We went back a second day and did some intense shopping to find my aunt an outfit to wear to the First Ladies Luncheon that she was attending with a Congressman's wife from our home state of Wisconsin.

* Margueritaville - WOW food - we also experienced the Volcano Nachos and after several years of waiting, I finally had some Coconut shrimp - outstanding and definitely remaining on the 'to - do' list for next trip.

* Fremont Experience - Took nephew & friend to see this as they had not had the opportunity to before. They drove in to stay with his mom & I on Saturday only. They are both living in L.A. so it was not too bad of a drive for them (worse on trip back - TRAFFIC JAM) and he got to spend the day with family. Hard for the two of them being in LA after growing up in close-knit families. And it was such a joy for us to get to spend the time with the two of them too.

* Rio Seafood Buffet - My aunt & I loved it. My girlfriend & her husband who have experienced it about 20 more times than I said they just weren't as happy with it this time. It was fine but not quite as good as what it was previously. But everyone agreed the new atmosphere was very nice and Katy & I did love the food!

* Mon Ami Gabi - Absolutely an A+++++ Steak!! I didn't like the truffle sauce though & Katy didn't like the Blue Cheese sauce so we scraped and swapped, LOL. Both loved our new sauces. Went early at Senior Citizens early bird time and were able to easily secure a patio table. They were doing a lot of filming of the fountains at Bellagio so they were playing more frequently (for the Miss USA Pageant that was coming in a couple of weeks at Planet Ho). Seemed as if a few songs were repeating but I imagine that was to make sure they had a complete sequence for their filming.

* Sitting with a Television Star !! - Yes - it is my nephew but I might as well brag him up while I have the chance. He is a P.A. on Attack of the Show on the G4 network so if you have watched a cute guy being blasted with slabs of beef, having to taste-test herbs that make everything taste sweet, etc. THAT'S HIM!!! We teased him unmercifully that when he is the recognizable face from AOTS instead of Olivia Munn, he will have to give up the $3 Texas Hold 'Em table and break out the big money. And telling him we expected him to get us to the front of the line in the restaurants instead of me having to keep digging out that Platinum Card!!!

(You will note a lot of our highlights revolved around food!!!!)

We were unable to hit the Eiffel Tower at night because of winds on the nights we tried it - however D & J (kids) did get up there around midnight on Sat night. They called us to come down but we were exhausted and had already collapsed.

At no point did I ever 'win big'. At some points I would at least keep the money revolving so it wasn't too bad. I was so hoping for a lucky enough hit that I would be able to pay for the next trip - but no such luck. And I used up my FF miles, so OH NO - I will have to PAY for the next flight. AGH!!! I really had no guys try to pick me up, LOL - what a disappointment. I did have 3 gentlement decide to strike up nice long conversations with me in the ticket line for P & T, at the soda machine at the outlet mall and another place that I can't remember! Maybe I should have winked a few times, LOL. So I may have just missed my big opportunities there!

I will bore you with photos in the add'l postings below..............

2. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bill's Room -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not posting any Paris room pics as I didn't really take any this time as room was same as always.

3. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Neon Boneyard Tour.............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More Boneyard........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Penn & I after the show..........

[​IMG]

Palazzo which really did not thrill me at all..........

[​IMG]

Margueritaville.....PLEASE NOTE - Watch for Derek on Attack of the Show on the G4 Network - He will be one of the ones having something thrown at him, etc........ Someday you will be able to say - I saw a picture of that star when he was just starting out!

[​IMG]

Volcano Nachos.....

[​IMG]

Fremont Experience....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bellagio Spring Display - Butterflies & Chocolate Fountain........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

View from our table at Mon Ami' Gabi outside Paris...........

[​IMG]

8. gmoney590

gmoney590 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for taking the time to share your trip and the pics. We also enjoy the food and drinks at Margueritaville.

9. hardinger69

hardinger69 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome pics of the neon graveyard and those volcano nachos. Good to hear the graveyard is worth the time.

10. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great trip report and it sound like you had a lot of fun. I have been thinking about going to the Neon Boneyard . . . . is it hard to find and do you have to make reservations?

12. IllMarty

IllMarty Orangutan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! Very nice pictures! Good to hear you had a nice trip. Love food reviews.

Sorry we did not hook up during your trip. Somehow your cell number was not saved after I entered it in my phone. What can I say, I am a dumbass sometimes.

Oh, ATOS is a staple around my house, having a 15 year old that is a video game freak. He has seen your nephew on the show before. Congrats to the budding TV star!

Your neighbor Marty.

13. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, sorry we didn't get to meet up with you for the Madness... we blame Marty ;)

Either way, it sounds like you had an excellent trip. Terry and I had those same nachos (minus the jalepenos since I'm a wuss) while we we're sobering up Sunday morning :evillaugh

14. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't worry - I had Marty's number in my room somewhere too - but we were SO BUSY!!! I just couldn't believe how we kept running.

I am glad someone has seen Derek on TV - makes me now feel like I am really related to a celebrity.

For those that want info on the neon boneyard their website is:

www.neonmuseum.org

They do tours only certain days of the week, so you should call and book ahead - they only take a certain number of people per tour. It was a very warm tour for us and it wasn't even a super hot day. If you end up doing it in the summer - be prepared and maybe take a umbrella for shade. Tour cost was $15 per person which is tax deductible if I remember correctly. The facility is very easy to find - just slightly north of downtown. We were so busy looking at the fenced off boneyard area to the right that we missed the turn in for the visitors center and had to turn around.

Went back to waitressing this morning to try to save for the next trip............

15. PokerrNutt

PokerrNutt High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoyed reading the TR and seeing the pics -

How did you get to see the Neon Boneyard?? And where is it located???

16. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As soon as I had decided when we were goin to travel to Vegas, I called the boneyard and reserved a spot on a tour for the day we selected. We had to do a Friday because my aunt came in Thurs nite and they had no tours on Monday (at least at that time). Their phone # or contact info is on the website I listed.

They are located right on Las Vegas Blvd N, slightly above the Fremont St area - maybe 8 or 10 blocks north of that? So if you keep following LVB north, you will basically run into it. The current offices are located across the street in the Reed Whipple Cultural Center.

I see they are having a special event on 5/17 if anyone is out there during that time. I can't copy & paste because they have the page protected.

http://www.neonmuseum.org/exhibits-events.html

17. BrokenAlice

BrokenAlice Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Food is always the hightlight of my trips too. Thanks foir the pics!

18. dung bug

dung bug Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    nice photos, thanks for sharing...:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.