1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cascata Golf (shell of its old self)

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by JohnnySilk, Nov 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well thermometer looks like it’s taking a dip next week. I guess the toque will be packed along with the golf mits!

I can’t believe I was playing in a tee shirt in glorious sunshine two weeks ago and then….. BFF380F0-2E64-4DEB-AD4C-1B8D894C4777.jpeg

Thankfully we are 30 min north of BUFFFFFALOO!

• Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. bluerider

bluerider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just returned from a week of golf and gambling. I'll add some notes from my experiences at the four courses I played last week:

• SAT: Paiute Snow Mountain- I'll lead with the fact that I am a huge fan of this resort. I find it to offer solid golf on three courses at a fair price, whit good conditions, great rolling greens and friendly service. I was originally scheduled to play Snow Mountain last February, but ironically, was snowed out of that round. So it was the first on my list on this return trip. Enjoyed the layout and found it to play very much like Sun Mountain. A nice mix of holes, some risk/reward and decent par 3's. It was windy and cold which is something I'm used to in MI, but made for a less than great round as the sun was hidden by one massive cloud almost the entire round. Played with two buddies and were paired with a local as our 4th who was quiet but otherwise fine. Grade: A-
    • TUE: Paiute Wolf- I've heard this is the most challenging of the three tracks here and was excited to finally play it. It wasn't as tough as I expected, but conditions were similar to the previous round....cold and windy. At least the sun was more prevalent so that helped make things a bit more comfortable. Lot's of blind or misleading tee boxes and really nice par 3's stand out most from this track. Greens rolling fast and true, I happened to shoot the exact same score as I did my previous round at Snow. Solo mission, paired with three locals, two who were regulars and helped show me around the course, and a 4th who had to leave early to pick up his daughter. Enjoyable round. GRADE: A
    • WED: Bali Hai- Before anyone attacks me for playing Bali Hai, I'll let you know that I've done so several times and will continue to , mainly because I like the course for a fun, casual and close-by round. Weekdays rates are OK and it's the only place I can get one of my Vegas buddies to go to since it is close to the hotels, meaning he can get in and out and still have time for the poker room! It's a fun layout and while it gets a ton of play, it usually is in decent shape. This round was no different, and the weather was an improvement from the prior days up at Paiute. I nearly aced #16 again for the third time in a row...this time parked it about 6" short of the cup. Some day! GRADE: B+
    • THU: Angel Park Palm- With a local buddy joining, we wanted a shorter course that we could finish off the trip with and Angel Park Palm was a good choice. This place must get a ton of play....it looks a bit beat up, but conditions were still decent. Greens rolled true though not as fast as the other three courses we played. All around it was a fun round that you really don't need a driver to get through. Shorter holes but lots of twists and turns with some elevation changes as well. This was by far the nicest weather we had of the week allowing us to be in short sleeves for most of the round with the sun shining and temps around 60. I played great which helped me enjoy it as well. GRADE: B-
    Overall a fun four rounds. Add these to the others I've played in the Vegas area (Arroyo, Bears Best, Rio Secco, Angel Park Mountain) and hoping to get to some the rest in my next few trips!

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, bj, 81 tomorrow and 77 or so through the week. Playing Vintage Club on Friday. Saturday TBD.

4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A player can do worse than having a consistent rotation of Paiute, Paiute and Paiute. Much much worse. I've played there so many times.

5. wubears71

wubears71 Triple LUX

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @bluerider - I totally agree with you on Bali Hai and I never understood the hate. It’s always in great shape, has great views and you cannot beat the convenience. I look at the cost as a “convenience tax”. Sure, there is absolutely no way I would pay their “standard” rate of $600, but I have never seen it anywhere near that. I think the most I’ve paid is $250 and that was peak season 10 am tee time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It comes down to value. And for some, convenience is factored into value. Playing at current rack or historic rack, it's a bust. And I've been critical of Bali Hai for that -- given what's offered, the location (a negative for me) and the layout -- over the years.Then again, I've never felt Wynn was worth what they charged John Q walking in off the street. Drop a Ben on Bali Hai? Hell yes. I love TPC Sawgrass but I'd never pay rack there, either. Pebble? Yes. We all have our (quirky) thresholds.

7. bluerider

bluerider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally. I paid $190 on a Wednesday late morning. Pace was good, conditions were fine, greens rolled true. It gets a ton of play and service can be spotty, but 5 mins from MGM is nice. It doesn't really compete with Paiute in my opinion but I don't think it's trying to. It's a total tourist trap and I know that going in! The turn snack bar has some good food and bev options too!

But for those looking for great golf and have the time to spare, I agree. There are far better golf courses around Vegas! I like it as a quick and convenient mix-in on a multi-round trip.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great context, blue. Well stated. Now Billy Walters once marketed it as Pine Valley meets Kapalua or some such nonsense.

Edit: Toward that end, a "great" story. Years ago a writer for a prominent national golf publication laid bare the reality of Bali Hai after it opened, and it did not go over well with Walters. So his "people" called the magazine's "people" and suggested a revisit was in order. There was a revisit. And an editorial re-evaluation.

9. pilot4300

pilot4300 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reflection Bay hasn't been overseeding during winter in recent years. Some golf purists get all excited for dried out, thin, hardpan dormant bermuda fairways and rock hard dormant bermuda greens that don't hold approach shots, but I am not one of them as I end up with tendonitis after the round since the ground doesn't "give" on iron shots.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. bluerider

bluerider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Ken. It would be interesting to read the before and after review, and also learn how much grease was applied to the wheels to get it to change!

11. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Apparently I’m not a golf purist. I hate hitting off of hard, dormant Bermuda. The visual impact I can deal with, it’s just hitting one iron shot after another off hardpan lies I can’t stand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got back. Overall great experience. Bellagio vs Wynn on point. Welcome was first class with snacks and name on locker. Our fore caddie Marv was awesome. Course was steady busy. We had group in front and behind but, never felt rushed or pushed.

Mountain routing fantastic. Fairways and bunkers were perfectly fine. Greens were a bit spotty with poa creeping in. I saw a couple where sod had been laid down earlier in season so must have had issues. Having said that, they all ran true and fast! I can see them doing a greens project in future.

At shoulder season rate and Diamond discount, still more than I would normally pay but, no regrets and may even return even though I went into round thinking one and done.

Everything is wacko pricing in Vegas. I could have had multiple rounds for what M put into machines so that justifies a $300 round of golf. We had two bottles of $40 wine at Lago that cost $140 each off the wine list. Can’t go to strip and think normal real world pricing!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  13. boofat

boofat Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Making 1st trip to Vegas in July. Does Caesars Diamond status get one 25% off green fees at Cascata? Searched all over the AOL and couldn't find a definite discount %. Thinking it may be worth signing up for the Wyndham credit card for diamond status to match to Caesars status if so. Thanks in advance.

14. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I received 25%. Just showed diamond card in pro shop. I can’t remember if they even scanned it.

call pro shop to verify

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.