1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Honeymoon in Vegas

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Bert, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bert

Bert Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

This is my first attempt at a trip report, I hope you all lik it. This trip was my second to Vegas for my Honeymoon November 20-29. The first was for my best friends wedding who is now my brother in law after I got with his sister at his wedding, so where better to go for honeymoon. The last trip is pretty much a haze as all we really done was drink. this one isn't much better so I'll just fill you in with what i can remember!!

Hotels We split our stay up into 2 nights at TheHotel and 7 at the Luxor. I wish we had done it the other way around as going from theHotel to the Luxor was some change of scenary. I have to say I really like the Luxor but after the suite life of the Hotel it was just a bit of a letdown.

Food We are not big foodies so a lot of our food intake was of the fast variety in between drinks but heres a few that I can remember. Plus the size of the portions over there are a hell of a lot bigger then what were used to so it was mainly Breakfast at a fast food joint and then a lunch OR dinner.

Peppermill: After reading so much on here about this place I just had to give it a go. I wasnt dissappointed, what a great place. The food was only good but the whole vibe about the place is brilliant. We went in for breakfast 1 day, I had the eggs benidict and they were good and huge for a breakfast Ann(my wife) had a chicken wrap and loved hers. We ordered a cocktail and when we had finished our breakfast went into the lounge, The Fireside and wow this place is fantastic. We ended up staying for a couple more cocktails and came back a couple of times on the trip.

Blondies in the miracle mile: We went shopping 1 afternoon and got a little peckish so stopped by here for a bite to eat. I wasnt really that hungry but was severely hungover so needed a curer(hair of the dog) I just got the wings and fries and wasnt to impressed Ann got a Caesers salad that could've fed a small nation, It was massive. Needless to say she didnt finish it and I didnt finish mine. The food became a second thought though as they had English soccer on so I was happy just sitting there and watching that (Does anyone know what the opening hours are for here because on an upcoming trip there is a soccer match on that I will really want to see but its going to be on at about 4.30am)

The Steakhouse at Circus Circus: I had a cousin and his girlfriend staying at CC with 6 of their friends and 1 of the nights ( I think it was thanksgiving) They were going here for a meal and invited us along. I have to say I dont like like CC at all but the food in this place was amazing $85 a head with 3 or 4 drinks each and 2 bottles of Champagne witha good tip. I had a salad to start and then a Petite Filet and it was delicious. Ann had breast of chicken and loved it.

The Pyramid cafe in the Luxor: We ate here on a couple of days for a late night dinner and we really enjoyed it. It was cheap but of very good quality. I had the new york steak and really liked it.

Quarks bar in the Hilton: We were a bit wary that the food wouldnt be to good here because it was a themed resteranut but we were wrong. The food was real good we both got the chicken wrap, thats not what its called but there's no way I'm going to try spell it along with a tower of onion rings and thought it was lovely. We also got a warp core breach which is one BIG cocktail. Ann got to the table first and they wouldnt bring the drink until they saaw that I was actually there. It wasnt the best of cocktails but sure you have to try it.

The Cheesecake factory: We went here again by reading about it on here and accidentally coming across it while hungry. We went for lunch and had the set lunch menu of salad to start and a small pizza each. I wasnt to hungry and this filled me up nicely, too nicely in fact as I didnt have room to have dessert which is I beleive the best thing about it. Ah well theres always next time.

Touristy attractions

The Bodies exhibit: We done this one day as Ann was very interested in the Bodies exhibit. I ended up liking it a lot more then her but she still enjoyed it. I think this is a great exhibit and something that you just wouldnt get back home. Well worth the money in my opinion.

The Titanic: Neither of us really enjoyed this and I wouldnt advise it for anyone unless you were really interested in the Titanic.

Shark Reef: We went to this as it seemed like it would be good. It was alright but not worth the money. If you are thinking of going the line for tickets was huge when we went but we had already got our tickets in the Luxor box office were there was no line and walked over. I'd say we saved at least half an hour by doing it this way.

Madame Tussauds: This was pretty good and worth the money but a lot smaller then I thought it would be.

IMax Theater @ the Luxor: This was great we went to the monsters of the deep and really liked it. Well worth the money.

The secret garden: Again well worth the money and possibly the best value of all the touristy things we did.

The Star trek experience: I'm not into Star trek at all and Ann knows a little but again is no expert but this was absolutley brilliant, maybe a tad on the expensive side but the both of us thouroghly enjoyd this.

I have to go now but will finish it later.

2. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice- sounds like you hit quite a few places.

Re Blondies – I actually walked out of there last time – service was terrible. However I did then go to the Mexican place opposite and drank beer there whilst watching Blondies big screen outside which had Setanta on!! Anway I believe they are open from about Midday so they are only showing replays at that point – nothing live from the Premiership. For the live games you need to check out the website of the Crown and Anchor (http://www.crownandanchorlv.com/index2.html ) go to the soccer page and click on the type of match you want to see. To check I’d give them a call as well.

They are located on Tropicana and Maryland – I’d suggest getting a cab.

Umm – just looking at your timer – are you going to see the Merseyside derby?

3. sin

sin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report so far Bert! I'm looking forward to the rest:thumbsup:

4. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report, keep em coming. :nworthy:

5. angel81chick

angel81chick Abuelita

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love that you use the term "soccer" seeing as you are from Ireland :)

Nice TR, I loved Bodies, I saw it twice in LA....anyone who hasn't seen it should really give it a try.

Can't wait for the rest...

6. gmoney590

gmoney590 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great TR. I agree it is a shock going from TheHotel to the Luxor. Did you stay in the Pyramid?

7. Bert

Bert Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm back, sorry for the delay.

Other Stuff

The Grand Canyon: When we first met up with my cousin he said he was going to book the Grand Canyon for the following day, his last of his holiday. We jumped at the chance as it was something we planned to do but probably would'nt have. It was my big regret from my first trip that I didnt get to see it. So off we went and booked with Maverick, we were the last 4 people to book so didnt have a choice on the time of our flight, we had to take the early morning.

Pick up was 5.45 the next morning which didnt seem to bad at the time of booking 10.00 in the morning. But after meeting up we decided to have a few beers and a few led to another few and so on until we finally split up at about 5 to get ready for the rat pack that night. Met up again at half 6, a couple of quick drinks and then off to the Greek Isles for the show. What a great great show. The performers were superb and the room really brings an old feel to it. We paid $10 each to get a booth at the front and it was well worth it. We had more drinks at the show and then a few after, at this stage we were well ready for bed so got a cab back to the hotel and off to bed we went at about 1 am.

So up we get eventually at about 5.30am and walk in a daze down to get picked up. A short bus ride over to Maverick a few minutes on safety and we were away. It was an effort to get up for this but when we got out and saw the views it more then made up for it, they are absolutly spectacular. Its a must see and I'd recommend it to anyone well worth the price( I think it was about $370 per person) and well worth the time. Myself and my cousin loved it the girls not so much but even they agreed that it was something they were glad to have done.

Renewing of our vows: This came about when my cousin first said he was going to miss our wedding over here because he would be in Vegas. We thought sure if they were going to miss it here we would get married again by Elvis for a laugh. We had planned on doing this on Their last day and all was going well until we got back from the Grand Canyon. We had to change hotels and when we got to our new room we decided to crash for an hour or so to catch up with some sleep. This was at about noon. We finally woke up at 7pm so that put an end to the wedding happening that day.

The following day we decided to still go ahead with it even if it was only going to be the 2 of us there. So we booked A Elvis Chapel for 2 days later. All was set and off we went for a drink. We went to Nine Fine Irishmen on our way out to do a bit of shopping and ended up getting talking to 2 Scottish couples who were staying in the Luxor. It was their first time in Vegas and they were saying how much they'd like to see a wedding by Elvis. Well then why dont you come to ours we asked. We thought it would be much better fun if there was more people and sure the Limo had room for 6 anyway so they agreed to tag along.
    We met up with our Scottish friends the next evening and organised times and the like with them.

The day of our wedding was such a laugh. we met up with our new friends and had a couple of drinks and then off we set for our wedding. We had looked for the most tacky place and Elvis we could find and this place met our needs. But the people who worked there were so friendly and fun it just added to the day. Elvis was a great laugh, he couldnt get over the fact that we were renewing after only 9 days. We all thouroghly enjoyed the day. A few more drinks after back in the Aurora bar at the Luxor and we were fit for bed.

Shopping: We did a lot of lot of Shopping this time. With the dollar so weak we got a great exchange rate so we got lots. We went over with half a case between the 2 of us and came home with 2 cases and 2 big carry ons. The ticket price on most stuff over there is better then over here $ to € and then you take the exchange rate and we were saving over 50% and then add to that we were there during the Thanksgiving sales and we picked up quite a few good bargains. For instance we got 6 pairs of Timberlands for the price of one pair back here.

Gambling: Didnt do too much this time around mainly because the minimum bets have sky rocketed since the last time I was there. We mainly stuck to slots this time and I'd say I at least doubled what I gambled so it wasnt all bad.

Drinking: We hit many many bars and I cant remember most of them by name so I'l leave this be.

Thank you all who read this for taking the time. And thank you all who before my trip who helped me to plan It.

Hughie.

8. Bert

Bert Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Mike, yeah its the Derby I want to watch but it looks like its changed to Sunday now and I will be leaving ealy so will have to record it and watch it first thing when I get home.

Angel, ha ha it was weird even writing soccer instead of football but since I'm on a mainly American Board I was trying to keep it so people would understand better.

GMoney, No I stayed in a deluxe tower room. I wasnt to Impressed it seemed a lot more worn then the last time I stayed there, but maybe that was after coming from a swankier hotel.

9. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Yeah I saw since I posted that it had been moved to the Sunday game. Works fine for me as I can get over there for the KO – 8am in vegas and get some breakfast in… tough to find decent sausage and bacon where I live..

Only trouble is that by 10am I’ll be lit up again……

I was concerned that it would be a midday KO on the Saturday – which would mena hitting the bar at 4am after a party!!

Its right by the airport – if you change your mind..

10. Bert

Bert Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your a red if I remember correctly are you? :poke:

Hitting a bar to watch the blues beat the arch enemy after a party seems like great fun to me. If and its a big If Liverpool are still in Europe by then it will be put back to the saturday prob midday.

If not my flight out of Vegas is 6am so I dont think I will be able to make it, How are southwest for changing flights?

11. angel81chick

angel81chick Abuelita

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice ending to your TR! LOL on Elvis renewing your vows only after 9 days, but hey, when in vegas....

How considerate of you...Mike, make sure to take lessons :poke:

12. Bert

Bert Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

Well thats what we were thinking, we didnt think it would've been that unusual but the reaction of Elvis said otherwise.

We would of got married in Vegas but there were to many people close to us that could'nt travel over that we decided against it (would of cost a lot less too). So why not just do it for a laugh anyway.

13. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh yes – I’m on the red side. Should still be a Sunday game though – if we play on a Wednesday in Europe. If not then they’ll move it back to Saturday and put another game in its place – I would have thought…. It’ll be nice to push our blue breathen back down the table .. and see a could more of them sent off.. not before a ugly brother number 2 own goal though…

As for southwest – no idea – I think they’ll do it but will give a credit back.. you can always ask….after all – flying that early on a Sunday? After a Saturday night in vegas??
    Masochist… I guess it ties in with the team…

Sandra – I wrote the book on considerate.. but this is you we are talking about….

14. angel81chick

angel81chick Abuelita

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My point exactly, even more reason for it! :evillaugh

Definitely a great laugh, and something you two will always remember! :D

15. Coaster Kikky

Coaster Kikky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't really have a clue about what most of your conversation is about, but as far as Southwest, it's not difficult to change flights. In and out of Vegas can be crowded though, so it isn't always possible. At the last minute, flights will be much more expensive so you'll probably have to pay more. If you need to cancel, most fares are non-refundable and they give you a credit to use within one year. They do now sell refundable tickets (these are also the ones that allow people to board first) but they cost about three times what the cheapest rate is.

16. vegasdrea

vegasdrea Buckle Bunny

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great reads :thumbsup:
    Good job on your first TR. I too love eating at the Pyramid Cafe. I have always enjoyed thier food. Never had a bad meal there, once I had breakfast there and had the most delicious scrambled eggs I have ever eaten :licklips:

Thanks for sharing :)

17. Bert

Bert Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know it doesnt make much sense, maybe its the week before and they will want an extra days rest. You have to catch us before you can push us down the table..... Have I spoke to soon:ssst:

Masochist.. you have to be to support Everton all you life, you learn to be thick skinned. But with the flights it was about the only choice I had and if it means getting to Vegas at all I think its worth it.

If the match does get changed back I will see you in the Crown and Anchor, I'l be the 1 in the Everton jersey, I couldnt imagine theres to many of us over there.

18. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If its changed I’ll look out for you… I’ll probably turn up in my retro top – not a fan of all the adverts on shirts. I don’t mind talking to blues – after all I’m the odd one out in my family – the rest of them support everton…. Ooops…

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.