1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What are you drinking in 2022?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by amanty, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What got me into bourbon drinking? Cocktails! My husband fell in love with Manhattans - my mom's husband loves them and makes them for us, so ~ 20 yrs for that. Around 10 yrs ago we started drinking more cocktails - I like others more, but Manhattan ranks up there for hubs. About 5 yrs ago we really started paying attention to quality and drinking neat (I prefer with a cube of ice to open but you need to try all options to see what you like best - we do that still some weekends! Pour 4 shots of the same bourbon, try neat, with a drop of water, with ice, with both (or in NC, just wait 5 minutes in the summer and the "ice" becomes "ice and water" ;-)

We did our first excursion to Louisville and the Bourbon Trail this past April. We love to seek out new bourbons, and rye is growing on us! (I like a rye Manhattan or other cocktail but don't love it neat - I've had some I've really liked though, so I'm more open)

Hubs favorite current bourbon neat is Barrel. I like Barrell too (he came home with a new bottle today - Barrel rye) Right now I'm loving Old Forester prohibition 1920. Buffalo Trace is well loved for a reason.

At the moderate range, Knob Creek, Woodford, and Bulleit are all quite nice and we tend to use one of those as our standard cocktail bourbon today still. Those are the first I drank - one of my college besties is from Louisville and we'd have Derby parties. (I HATE mint julep, bc I hate mint)

If you want cocktail ideas, I'll share my faves - we have a handful of recipes on the bar cart that we use all the time. And no, I don't remember the recipes even though I use them regularly;-) Just a few things my brain refuses to retain....

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eek the page finally loaded and now I see the menu Of those options, I love Four Roses (but hubs does not - Small Batch is my fave) Eagle Rare is amazing - that was our house bourbon 2018-2021 until we realized it's too good to be used so cavalierly :nworthy:

Have fun!!

3. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @bubbakitty i would try the eagle rare very good then compare it to the Russel both are aged 10 years so good head to head and are 90 proof so lighter on the ethanol. Knob Creek is a step up at 100 proof but it does not have the ethanol smell/bite.

on anything you try don’t hesitate to put a drop of water or a cube of ice in it. Both will change the taste. When I drink 100 proof of higher I like to add water on occasion. Those prices are pretty cheap so even comparing neat and water added at the sand time may be fun.

Enjoy.

4. addicted

addicted High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bulleit was one of the first bourbons I enjoyed. Agree with the others, eagle rare is a good mellow sipper and a steal at $9. Gentlemen Jack is worth a shot as well, it's another good starter.

I like four roses as well, although the standard bottle isn't much to write home about. Woodford reserve has also been a long time favorite.

Knob creek and makers mark is going to be on the hot side.

Whistle pig makes some good stuff but rye is not usually for beginners.

Enjoy!

5. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks a bunch. We have 4 roses single barrel small batch and single barrel and Woodford reserve among others which I will give a try.
    I’ll take note on eagle rare as we don’t have that on hand. :)

6. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bought Friday but didn’t taste until today. Not a giant fan of Imperial Stout most times as I like beer. But I’m afraid two of these would be the end of that…..until I woke up the next day that is….:)
    10.2% :rolleyes:
    F22A0DE9-3A6D-4D09-98DD-44F24A2390D2.jpeg

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @bubbakitty, I will have to try that one. I'm a big fan of heavy oil, but I usually wait 'till it cools off a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was quite delightful. It was cold…. I left it to roam about the palate for 30 seconds or so and enjoyed it. Now I need a nap….:rolleyes2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. chiefsdan

chiefsdan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Booker’s small batch Bourbon 2019-04 “Beaten Biscuits” 125.1 proof E463DDB5-3C1D-4554-8441-F8B9B4785EB2.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  10. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How us the Bookers? I have two bottles 2021 snd 2022 that I bought damn FOMO.

11. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. chiefsdan

chiefsdan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really like the Bookers but it is not for the faint of heart with it being 125 proof…:wink2:

13. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our meat CSA is delayed (you'd think I'd know better by now) so we're having a drink while we wait (we have brewery pickup instead of delivery)- it's actually a cidery. This is fig apple cider aged in maple barrels. Yum! imgly_6872649580140923311.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. chiefsdan

chiefsdan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    B1F0B85B-8BEE-479F-A328-5601BB28A033.jpeg Avion Reserva Cristilino Anejo.

15. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    D01D4517-DF6D-4891-A0CF-1A0736036CAF.jpeg

Had one of each of these. No need for water or ice as they were not hardly a burn at all. But not sure I know what burn smooth or mellow is at this point.
    the bartender at our place only gives 1/2 oz or less when sampling as she doesn’t want waste to occur with newbies :blink: So I ended up with imbibing 1 1/2 oz. No buzz but good experience. (perhaps if I tip the bartender I can get 3/4(?) oz pour tonight on our next foray?) :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 1
  16. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    B3A42DC6-49C6-4F48-8E5B-A44C6DE47D7C.jpeg Tonight’s adventure begins with garrison brothers
    https://www.garrisonbros.com/
    which I don’t think is well known outside the “local” area. And Jefferson + Woodford (?). Looking forward to maybe more than 1/2 ounce samples or at least seconds :rolleyes:
    If anyone knows anything (like, don’t :eek: drink that or add water/ice to survive) please advise. Thanks :)
    I don’t get it yet but some found this interesting as a reference. 5D520DCC-69EA-4786-9C9D-6075CC9A59FF.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  17. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Water or ice water or ice with garrison brothers….Jefferson’s….mmm….Woodford..MMMMM…..AND I got POINT 6 oz pours…who says tipping doesn’t work…??? :rolleyes:

18. addicted

addicted High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @bubbakitty that double oak Woodford is one of my favorites, nice and mellow. The regular Jeffersons isn't great (hint of gut rot) but the other varieties can be pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  19. addicted

addicted High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    20220924_212952.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s hard to read but small batch Jefferson’s. It was better than ok but again I’m fairly new. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.