1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hilton is now training "wait-ographers" to take guest photos ...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by dmr, Jun 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hilton is now training servers in the basics of photography, in order to better serve their customers when requested to take an informal photo of a group, usually seated at a table.

Servers are often asked to take photos of groups with guests' phones and cameras.

A professional photographer will be overseeing the training, which will cover things such as the basics of lighting, composition, framing, posing, etc.

https://petapixel.com/2022/06/30/hilton-trains-waiters-in-photography-calls-them-waitographers/

2. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Over/Under for how long this lasts? I'd put it on the "virtual tote board" at 6mos and see what kind of action we get...;-)

• Like Like x 1
  3. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    time share pitch included in Vegas hotels?

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure what any aversion there'd be to this, they're simply providing existing wait-staff with a little bit of expertise/knowledge on taking better pictures for customers who request it. Nobody asks... no picture taken. As most of us know, many, many of today's Vegas customers value "experiences" with their friends and group pics are a part of that. These folks aren't about burying their head(s) in a craps table for 12-hours at a time and not talking to anyone.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wait for it....
    $5.99 photo service charge appearing on your bill soon.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think they wont be using regular servers for this, and the wait-ographers will be disproportionate to the "ask" at busy times...you will wind up waiting for a wait-ographer...that wont go over well

and this below...

plus taxes and some random "fee"

7. HHFan

HHFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ya’ll are wild sometimes. This is a silly little PR thing that won’t ever go anywhere. They gave some servers at a destination property a quick training on photography so they could send out a press release to get them and the photographer a little media exposure. This will likely never impact anyone visiting this site.

If it ever moves beyond this one property, it’ll likely be in the form of a 10-15 minute required online training course that servers/bartenders have to half ass complete

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whoa, easy man! This hit a little close to home. ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, I think it is a good idea.

Smart phones brought everyday carry-everywhere photography to the Teeming Millions, most of whom are totally clueless regarding how to compose and shoot a photo which is visually appealing. (Let alone most selfies!)

I'm sure it's almost all simple hints, like filling the frame with the subject(s), when and when not to use flash, avoid having posts and plants growing out of someone's head, etc., and very little of what I would call composition theory.

I don't know why, maybe I just quietly scream out "PHOTOGRAPHER", but for some reason I often seem to be the one tapped on the shoulder and asked to shoot a photo of an individual, couple, small group, etc., It happens in LV at places such as the Bellagio conservatory and Carnaval Court, of big wins at VP, elsewhere at places such as The Bean in Chicago, in subway stations, on the street, etc.

I'll always try to take a few seconds to try to pose them in a context-affirming setting without distracting elements, and, if possible, with the light to my rear. I'll sometimes ask them to please turn on the flash (LOL, if they know how) on their phone or P&S.

10. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having worked as a server for many years in the 2010s, I was no stranger to often being the one to take these photos of groups at their table.

In my opinion, the real "skill" in doing this (especially with larger groups, or groups with younger children) isn't so much the actual technical aspects of photography (e.g., lighting and other considerations mentioned in the OP)... but rather, getting everyone to look at the camera, smile, guy second from the left moves his head down a bit, girl in the front stop texting... ALL while trying not to obstruct other patrons or employees, since the server/photographer is almost always standing in a high-traffic space. The photos may not be perfect, but I cannot say I've ever complained about a photo of a group I'm in taken casually/informally by a server.

I can certainly appreciate Hilton's attention to this increasingly prominent aspect of hospitality. But I feel like they're announcing this more for the PR attention than to actually generate value from offering it. I've had plenty of servers take plenty of great photos, and I cannot say I would voluntarily go out of my way to stay, eat, or do much of anything at a Hilton property solely because they have someone who can work a smartphone camera slightly better.

In fact... I would actually argue there's a significant disadvantage to relying on a "Waitographer", because the moment for getting a group photo is often very specific (it tends to be right after the food arrives). Since servers/runners are inherently present when food gets to the table, I feel like it's only logical for them to be asked to take a photo for the group. If this leads to policies to the effect of "I have to summon a Waitographer, hopefully your food won't get too cold in the meantime", I think that could actually cause more harm than good.

I gotta admit though... the ad for it (embedded below) is actually pretty cool :)

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would think that the best opportunity for a group photo would be soon after the order is taken. Drinks are in hand, everybody's getting relaxed, and the table is relatively uncluttered, as in no salads or apps on the table yet. Nobody is busy photographing their own meal (or app) yet. Get everyone posed (remember! if you can't see their eyes, they are not gonna like the shot!) and take several frames from various positions. Tell a stupid joke and take a few more frames.

12. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wonder when will it come to I will not be allowed to take pictures of my food with my camera for Free...:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.