1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How is inflation affecting Las Vegas? Higher prices? Fewer travelers?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Kisby, May 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wagon b0y

wagon b0y High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This past weekend, i didn't notice the food or drinks any higher than last year. But they were already high compared to anywhere else.

Gas cost me 75$-80$ more but if thats going to break me I shouldn't be going.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Restaurant prices have certainly gone up and service has certainly tanked.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, how should I say this? Don’t want to offend anyone, but the strip seems gentler. The rough edge that was there during parts of the pandemic seems to be gone. High gas prices have definitely put a crimp in the style of many Californians who had shown up when Vegas room rates tanked. Happy not to see those folks as much. Delete if this is out of line.

Final Four/Santa Anita Derby
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No matter the prices, people will still find a way to go to Las Vegas.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It has been about the same, really, in my opinion. Only difference is air fare for me

6. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that has been proven.
    Is there a limit?
    At what point do people say eff this shit?

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm saying it now. I can pay the higher prices I just don't want to.

And of course to each their own. I know I'm in the minority.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pd54

pd54 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From what I noticed; Los Angeles said it when gas was $6+..now that gas has came back down a bit; they’re starting to come back a bit too.

10. dbrown

dbrown Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a room booked for next month, but the flights are ridiculous right now. I found a flight round-trip to New Orleans for less than a one-way ticket to Vegas. So, I'm going to Harrah's New Orleans instead. I've now booked rooms in Vegas for Thanksgiving and New Years. Hopefully, flight prices will come down enough for me to consider one of these trips. Southwest is supposed to open up booking thru Jan/2023 in a few weeks. Maybe if I book early, I can get something decent. Also, I should be diamond elite with CET by then, so I'll have the $600 flight credit, which is in free play so I most likely won't get full value. But who knows, I could double it :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. MiamiDave

MiamiDave You Can't Handle the Truth

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gamblers will gamble. I think the drop in visitation will mostly be from the social crowd who do the bars, pools, clubs, conferences, etc. Smart marketing teams will find ways to bring the gamblers out because degeneracy won’t be slowed by flights being a few hundred dollars more expensive when they’re burning $5-10k+ gambling over 4-5 days.

I expect gambling revenue to be a higher portion of earnings for an extended period of time. Conferences won’t bounce back until flights and gas get cheaper.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Krussell1205

Krussell1205 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The airfare freeplay reimbursement emails are probably loaded in the hopper already.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Dogs have owners, cats have staff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I'm quite introverted and don't consider myself part of the "social crowd," I also don't go to Las Vegas for very much gambling. I can do that here. So yeah, flight prices definitely influence my decision to go or not to go.

• Like Like x 1
  14. andyg99

andyg99 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think most of the folks here fall into a group that may be able to deal with skyrocketing inflation better than average Joe. The longer these prices hang around the less travelers Vegas will see as many folks will not be able to afford a vacation, there does not seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel here - even if gas prices fell a buck they'd still be ridiculously high (grocery stores? anyone shop lately?) ... again many here can afford to weather the storm and continue to pay a few hundred more per trip, many can't and Vegas does rely on all income levels of folks from the family of 4 who budgeted for a year to make the trip; to the Vegas nut (like us) who will go 3-4 times a year no matter how bad things get... eventually losing those families and other low rollers will hit the bottom line. Pent up demand means nothing to people who make an average salary and have seen expenses go up by thousands....

Vegas Trip #57
    Vegas Trip #58, Sammy Hagar
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was looking at roughly $400 round trip when I started playing around my July dates. I'd say it is now looking about $250, give or take $25. I am still waiting for it to drop further. I was hoping to take Southwest but it looks like it will be Spirit once again.

My point being: A trip that is about a month away, I had never seen prices this high before. I usually book about a month before I leave as that is when I usually find the lowest prices. So the next two weeks will be something to watch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember twenty years ago I could fly from Chicago to Las Vegas for $170/round trip and book a room at the Imperial Palace for $19/night. I thought those prices were a bit high. Prices always go up and seem to never come down. Inflation has always been around and always will be.We all find our own ways of dealing with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep. Always stayed at the Sands in the bungalows. Spend all day at the pool and all night on the tables. $19 a night. $2 fun pit blackjack. Even met a waitress who knew Frank Sinatra. Those were the days, my friends...

But, you have a great attitude runnningonthehub, things change, inflation is a way of life. I haven't noticed that it has deterred anyone from going to LV. Their numbers are higher than ever.

Final Four/Santa Anita Derby
  18. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    70F1E7E5-4597-43C5-8B41-3004040E1D96.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  19. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

We usually go about four x/yr. We've been twice so far this year but there's no way I'm paying four times what we usually pay for airfare from PHL. Once we get there, prices don't matter much because we're cheap eaters and we always have a lot of resort credit to use. We also never pay for rooms. The problem for us is getting there and car rentals. Sadly we may not go again this year unless prices on both airfare and car rentals come down. I think that once the initial flush of Covid deprived visitors get their fill, occupancy will go down and hotel prices will follow suit. It was packed both times we were there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. VegasDaytripper

VegasDaytripper Re-Retired Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was busier than ever at LAS Airport this morning
    Compared to the last several months
    Huge crowd waiting for ride share pickup at terminal 1
    I don't think inflation is high enough to deter people... At least not yet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.