1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airfare Direction?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by CHARLOTTE JOHN, May 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHARLOTTE JOHN

CHARLOTTE JOHN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just booked airfare for Vegas trip Sept 29- Oct 4. Fares out of Charlotte were going up week by week. Just wondering what all you seasoned travelers thought about how the fares were going move in the next few months. I know it is just guessing but i'm curious of what you all think.

3 NIGHTS DOWNTOWN WITH DAGHTER
  2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been watching airfare for around that time for a couple of months now. It's been holding steady up until a week ago where it went up 5%. In the past, I would have expected it to drop 5-10% in that 6 month window, but find it unlikely due to the rise in fuel costs. My thinking is that it will hold steady for the next few months then possibly start moving up as the seats are filled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Utterly unpredictable in general, except maybe for real short-hauls.

I started using Google Flight alerts to track 2 BOS -> LAS flights on one date and 2 LAS -> BOS flights on another. I didn't set them up until I had already booked. I was OK with the prices the day I booked.

I've gotten at least one price change alert every week since I set them up two months ago. Sometimes up, sometimes down. But they've never touched the price I booked at.

But for any given route, maybe they add back a daily flight that they previously removed. That'll change things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bobby B

Bobby B High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely unpredictable but I'm seeing nothing that makes me think fares will go down. Fewer flights seem to be available and that means higher prices.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saturday morning alert (this is for a first class seat mid-August):
    upload_2022-5-9_5-41-42.png

Two days later (this morning):
    upload_2022-5-9_5-42-38.png

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The price on this changed two more times this week.

So 4 changes in 8 days.

7. Timothy

Timothy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just booked a return trip from Brussels, Europe to Las Vegas. Going is BRU-JFK-LAS with Delta, return is LAS-AMS-BRU with KLM. Economy class, ‘Light’ ticket but have checked bag and seat selection with airline status. Paid €480. That’s almost as cheap as in 2019 for me.

It’s about time I’m back!
    Leg 2 of 4 - show me the new Rio!
  8. Sgt_Shultz

Sgt_Shultz If the phone doesn't ring it's me

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMO airfare prices are unsustainable and at the point airlines are just using "rising fuel costs" as an excuse
    Example
    My 3 trips so far this year phl-las nonstop $153-$258rt
    Aug,Sept trips same flights are $818rt
    No way 2x fuel cost = 3x+ airfare
    And
    If I change in MIA (50% further) fare drops to $458
    Instead I booked my nonstop flights for 17k ff miles rt per flight

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Aplayer2

Aplayer2 wager enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    (imho)Pent up demand general inflation and fuel. Airlines are testing how much will you pay for the trip you put off for two years. Prices will not drop or even stabilize til people stop buying.

I made several trips to Vegas during Covid. Enjoyed low fares and empty planes even with the mask hassle had some great times. The airlines were losing money every day.

I spent the last month looking for an affordable fare to Vegas for June. Finally found Allegiant round trip 1 bag No seat assignment Thur-Thur red eye return for $300. If you are very flexible on dates and times there are still some bargains to be had.

It may be a while before we see discounts again--

10. Hector

Hector Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I fly Delta and if it wasn't for our Son being a Pilot it would definitely be a major Bankroll leak!!

11. Hockeylade

Hockeylade High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I genially recommend booking no more than 3 months in advance. This was absolutely true pre-covid and it cant hurt now.

If you book tooo early, I feel like they're preying on peoples FOMO. You're traveling in fall, which is a slower period. With the economy and oil prices, to me, I cant see it going much higher and you might even fall into some sort of fare sale. Worst case it will be about the same, +/- a few bucks.

12. Jimgotkp

Jimgotkp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not just pent up demand and fuel prices... it's also a lack of supply as most airlines aren't flying with the same # of aircrafts they did pre-COVID. Pilot staffing issues + shortage of aircrafts is a reason for this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Sgt_Shultz

Sgt_Shultz If the phone doesn't ring it's me

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pre vid I 100% agree with the "too early" trap but as long as the "no change fee" rules exist I recommend people "book early and book often"

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steveks225

steveks225 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just booked a flight Saturday for a trip I had to postpone in March. Considering what’s been happening with airfares, I should consider myself fortunate that I only had to pay $80 above what the March flight cost ($300). There could be more upside between now and then in airfares, and given the costs of other fuels, I don’t foresee a decrease.

15. caretaker77

caretaker77 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been watching/booking for trips the last six months. I've seen a consistent, steady trend of rising prices the closer you get to the flight date, unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. nonsatiated

nonsatiated Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I were betting on the direction of airfare price movement over the next year, I would bet on it to increase further from where we are at now.

Between upward inflationary pressure on wages and the skyrocketing cost of jet fuel (and associated derivatives), I don't think the airlines can avoid increasing prices.

For context, check out the 30 year time series of jet fuel and the recent trajectory over the past year:

Snag_1bcb0f1.png

And even more dramatic, to me at least, is the movement of jet fuel relative to crude:

Snag_1bef6ab.png

Historically, the two move in a very correlated manner. But in the last several months, jet fuel has rocketed (ha) far above crude.

So long as the current European conflict continues, I suspect that the associated greater uncertainty in energy markets will result in greater volatility in the spot markets and a higher risk premium to be paid in the futures markets (airlines often purchase options on jet fuel futures contracts). All of this adds up to higher costs to acquire fuel, and airlines will surely attempt to pass these costs on to the customer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's more than oil; passenger counts are nearly at where they were in 2019. Biz travel is coming back. And there's issues with plane and crew shortages. Everything is working to push prices up.

You need something that affects the supply/demand balance to drive prices down at this point

18. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Up? Yes.

Up enough to dissuade folks from flying? Apparently not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Lack of staffing will be more acute, demand for travel will continue to rise, inflation shows no sign of leveling off and fuel prices - who knows. Yes, I see prices not getting any less expensive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Fogdweller

Fogdweller Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.