1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone flown Allegiant to Las Vegas?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by comfortablynumb, May 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laugh

Laugh VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Side Question for everyone. How stingy is Allegiant with the personal item? Do they have everyone put it in the size checker thing? I have a backpack that would definitely fit under the seat but would probably not fit in that... size checker... thing.

[​IMG]

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Dogs have owners, cats have staff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good question. I have a personal item bag I use with Spirit all the time, but I don't know if Allegiant's dimensions are the same.

3. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can confidently say I have never seen any airlines use the size checker for carry ons. I wish they would, but then again I'm kind of a rule-followed. I don't even like people cutting in line. But that's just me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. addicted

addicted High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A quick Google search shows all the major airlines having received fines from the faa for safety violations.

5. nonsatiated

nonsatiated Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have only ever been challenged to put my carryon in a size checker once, and it was not in the USA. While traveling through the Frankfurt airport in Germany, an airline staff lady selectively targeted me, as I guess my carry-on looked too big. As someone who diligently keeps up on foreign airline rules, I was confident my bag met the size requirements. It did, and I got the satisfaction of a slightly bewildered look on the lady's face!

6. GabrielBFly

GabrielBFly Vegas Aficionado

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never been checked..and I take a pretty large and often very full backpack for weekend trips with no issue. One time they weighed all our bags but didn't say why. not sure what that was about but it didn't have any impact.

The Celebration of Mimi
  7. Laugh

Laugh VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome. Thank you all.

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This!

When a Real Airline (tm) cancels a flight, they usually do their best to get you there and as soon as possible. Southwest once already had me rebooked (although on a connection and not direct) before I made it to the front of the line at the desk after a flight was cancelled. (Here's your new boarding pass, just go over to gate B17.) Many airlines have contingency agreements with competitors to rebook. When a Northwest flight I was on was cancelled (after we boarded) in SJC, they rebooked me with Untied, which had a flight one gate over and they took care of getting the bags on the new flight.

With Allegiant, your options are to wait (as in days perhaps) for their next flight, assuming it has room, or to wait (as in weeks!) for a refund to your CC.

IIRC, it was Allegiant who recently told their employees to change out of their uniforms and sneak out of the area to avoid an irate mob of cancelled passengers. :)

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  9. Packeral

Packeral High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the Las Vegas airport I watched the check personal items and if they were a tiny bit too large either check them or pay a carry on fee. Even if you departed from a different airport with the same bag. They can be asses if they want.

• Like Like x 1
  10. wagon b0y

wagon b0y High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From fresno to vegas, allegiant is usally delayed. Faster just to drive over there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They were probably trying to determine if they had enough fuel for the weight on the plane for that flight. Different air temps can change how much weight (which includes the fuel weight) a plane can be allowed to take off with, but also, Allegiant has been known in the past to "stop for gas along the way" for some odd reason.

Excerpt from a post from 2016 from me...

• Like Like x 1
  12. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would sure think that it would cost Allegiant much less to suck it up and pay the asking price at the departure airport for more go-juice than to land the plane at Bump-In-The-Road, Texas and refuel and take off again.

As you say, it could be lack of credit or payment arrangements. I would think that all airlines have arrangements for fuel at each airport they serve, but I guess not.

13. markmetin

markmetin Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perhaps my airline luck is better than my gambling luck, but I’ve flown Allegiant from Bellingham to Vegas over 30 times since their direct service started in 2004. I’ve never experienced a cancellation or delay of more than perhaps half an hour, and never any unexpected in-flight excitement. But I think your personal experience with Allegiant will vary in large part based on where you’re flying from, and when. BLI-LAS is a busy route with several flights on most days, so I always take the first morning flight if possible. Because the plane and crew sleep there overnight, I can actually see the plane waiting at the gate as I drive up so I know it’s there and ready to go. Avoiding the domino effect of delayed later flights is a good play with any airline, I reckon. I often take later flights heading back home, but I assume Allegiant maintains at least a few spare planes in case of major mechanical problems or weather because my track record with them is perfect.

Regarding the “no charge” personal item issue, I bought an Allegiant-specific personal item bag that I always bring my laptop in – google “Walmart Boardingblue Allegiant” and for less than 20 bucks you are guaranteed to never have a problem. Boardingblue has size-specific options for other airlines as well.

Cheers and good luck.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. WiBadgerbacker

WiBadgerbacker Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have flown them a bunch of times from a variety of Midwest airports, with most of the flights originating from Rockford. I have been fortunate to have had fewer delays than my flights with legacy carriers.

This has never happened to me, but the problem can come with a cancelled flight since they don’t have other flights that day from that location.

15. prodaddy

prodaddy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    10x....always fine.

• Like Like x 1
  16. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Another satisfied customer out of the Rockford market. Rarely is there a delay or cancellation.

17. hockeystl

hockeystl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saving money on Allegiant is great..... until the $hit hits the fan and a flight is delayed/cancelled. And if you fly Allegiant on a regular basis it WILL happen to you, it's just a matter of time. Don't take my word for it... a quick Google search will yield countless stories of Allegiant stranding people due to cancelled flights.

Do you have an extra day to get to/from Vegas if this happens? Can you afford the expenses of another night or do you mind sleeping in the airport?

And let's remember this is an airline with a culture of poor guest service AND poor maintenance. It wasn't long ago their OWN PILOTS WENT ON THE RECORD SAYING THEY WOULDN'T WANT THEIR FRIENDS OR FAMILY FLYING them!!! It was so bad 60 Minutes did a story on them
    https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/airlines/Allegiant-Airlines-safety-under-scrutiny-in-60-Minutes-investigation_167305486/

Allegiant Air's Planes Break Down Four Times More Often Mid-Flight

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/this-us-airline-breaks-down-four-times-more-often-mid-flight

Thousands of people flew Allegiant last year
    thinking their planes wouldn’t fail in the air.

They were wrong.

https://projects.tampabay.com/projects/2016/investigations/allegiant-air/mechanical-breakdowns/

Just remember when you fly Allegiant you're rolling the dice! Me? Nope, not even for free.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In all fairness to Allegiant, this appears to be written when they were flying those old rattle-trap planes with the motors in the rear, with 2-3 seating. The last time I flew with them, they had upgraded to newer planes.

• Like Like x 2
  19. SteveO

SteveO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/16-Personal-Item-Underseat-Duffel-Bag-W-Pillow-for-Allegiant-Airlines-Black/378339748

• Like Like x 1
  20. DegenasaurusRex

DegenasaurusRex Short arms , hot dice

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In our area they are the only one who runs a non stop flight to Vegas. The pricing is great even with the bundle and not having to transfer is fantastic. They just don’t fly every day. A 2 hr and 15 minute flight beats a 16hr drive. How bad are they ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.