1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sight for sore eyes! COVID Vaccine!

Discussion in 'Coronavirus in Las Vegas' started by mescalita, Dec 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had pfizer shots 1 & 2; am getting Moderna booster on Wednesday. Hubs had Modern 1 & 2 and booster 2 weeks ago - each shot knocked him out pretty good from hrs 12-30 or so. I had similar but not quite as severe reactions to my original shots. We purposely don't schedule on the same days so we can take care of each other. But also I get mine at work and he gets his from the local health department.....

• Like Like x 2
  2. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    quick update, 24 hours after I got the booster, and I'm now in flannel PJs, a sweatshirt, a hoodie, and under a fleece blanket and still kind of chilly. Also have a slight fever (99, but my normal temp is around 97.5, so it's a bit of a fever for me). Other than cold and achy, still don't feel that bad.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We purposely booked our appts on a Friday after work, so had the weekend....
    just in case.:ssst:

• Like Like x 1
  4. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really wanted Friday appt but only mon/wed options. And I have a town hall I need to attend Thursday. At least it's virtual....but really wanted to take the entire day as a sick day just in case. We shall see! I also plan to do my Thanksgiving grocery shopping on way home after booster/work, so I can't feel bad until later!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    DH and I had our Moderna boosters one week ago. No symptoms 24 hours following, but on the 2nd and 3rd days both had noticeable itching, tenderness and warmth (felt hot) around the area of the shot. No temps or sicky face as in the first two.

Had our super duper strength flu shots in October.

Gonna get our shingles shots in January (we had the older one and doc says we need the newer one).

Shot junkies are we. :eek: :eek:

6. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I often say - any vaccine I'm eligible for, I will get! I mean, how many people do you know who've had the Japanese encephalitis vaccine recently? :peace: I'm not quite there for shingles yet - give me a couple years!;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a quick follow up to my quick follow up :). My fever broke at some point overnight and I feel totally fine this morning. My arm is still a little sore to touch but don’t notice it otherwise. Also have a stiff neck, but I think that’s from how I slept last night so can’t really blame that on the vaccine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Quick follow-up here.

I'm now officially Boosted! I had the first two with Moderna but I chose Pfizer for the booster, going the heterogamous route after a quick call to my primary care doc to confirm that the world would not end if I did so.

I would also like to call kudos, again, to the local compounding pharmacy, Kohll's (no connection to the Kohl's department store) for having a well-organized no-nonsense, no-confusion, no line, get-in, get-injected, get-out operation that ran like clockwork!

It was also one of the most painless sticks I've ever had. I thought she was just palpating with her fingers prior to the injection, but it was all done! :)

One tidbit I did pick up was that it's bad practice to laminate your original Covid shot card. The lady in front of me had hers laminated and the nurse emphasized "Please don't do that" as it's impossible to properly update it, as there is space for two additional shots on the cards. She then handed off to the lady doing the computer work to re-issue her card.

Absolutely no soreness yet, and no blaaaaah feeling! (Knock on wood!) Of course it's only been a couple of hours so far.

Oh, and it felt good to appear to be the youngest one there for the booster. :) :)

9. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guilty! I proudly had my card laminated after my double-dose of Modera back in March. I got boosted in October and took my shiny laminated card with me - the nurse gave me a new card with all three vaccs on it. I am not laminating this one!

10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Update, I had a very sore left deltoid when I got up this morning ("That means it's working!") and Advil took care of it. No fever or blaaaaaah feeling, just soreness.

There was the rumor going around that the vaccine cards were difficult or impossible to re-issue. Both of our experiences verify that it is possible to re-issue, and I had been told that it was possible by one of the pharmacists some time ago.

11. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. STS05

STS05 Onward

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got boosted yesterday at a drive-up clinic a little before 1pm with my third dose of Moderna. I feel a little sluggish today, but can definitely bend forks with my mind easier than before.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. MCOtoLAS

MCOtoLAS Vegas Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon for my Pfizer booster, will update but hopefully no ill effects other than a sore arm like usual! I'm a little nervous of side effects though because I just got a new tattoo the day before thanksgiving and I could imagine my body is using a lot of resources healing that and then I'll be adding a vaccine on top. Fingers crossed ;)

14. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd double-check with the pharmacist and/or your tattoo parlor about that, to be honest. Can't possibly be the first time they've gotten that question. There aren't any contraindications that I'm aware of, but I am not that kind of doctor by a mile.

15. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hubby and I got our boosters at noon Friday. It kicked in for me a couple hours ago and I’m feeling craptastic. A couch day today. As had been the norm with all 3 shots, my husband has only a sore arm.

16. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was Moderna for the first two shots, and I went with Pfizer for my third. There is a theory (not proven) that doing this is like showing your body two different photographs of the virus, potentially improving your immune system's ability to recognize it and fight it off. So I figured, hey sounds good to me, I'll give it a shot (no pun intended).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  17. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here, heterogamous immunization. Anecdotal evidence shows possible improved Omicron resistance doing it this way, but no peer-reviewed studies yet.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used this pre-print (pre-peer-review) article from October to make my decision to get a heterologous booster (Moderna booster after Pfizer 2 dose vaccine)
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34671773/

I checked and don't see a regular publication yet.

And if/when we have new data that tells us more or different, who knows, I'll get whatever booster I need at that time.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had our third round last Friday. I was fine. T was down for the count the following evening. Between flu, finally getting my second shingles poke and Covid, it's my Year of the Pincushion.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MCOtoLAS

MCOtoLAS Vegas Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We got our Pfizer boosters a couple weeks ago, I was the person with the recent tattoo. Was surprised at how much more painful the initial jab was than with the first 2 shots. Mentioned it to my mom as well and she noticed the same thing. She had said something about it to the person giving her the shot and the nurse told her that when the first covid shots were being administered they had a certain type of needle and now they're basically taking whatever they can get so that means bigger needles sometimes. I don't know how true that was but I believe it from my personal experience!

Other than the pain from the initial jab though, this 3rd shot I had even less side effects than the first two. My arm wasn't sore at all, and no other noticeable side effects. Glad to have gotten it over with before the demand went up locally with the emergence of omicron. Looking forward to my trip, less than a week away now!

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.