1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Favorite concert

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by BlueBellThunder, Oct 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, I would have loved to see Elton during his most creative period. I missed the famous Dodger Stadium show in 1975, but did see him much later in Vegas at Caesar's—still worth it and I already have tickets for his farewell tour in Phoenix next year.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What sticks in my mind was Funeral for a Friend. Loved it. My favorite Elton period was Tumbleweed Connection.

3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw him not that long ago at Caesars (pre-Covid, of course), although I would call that more of a "show" than a concert. :)

4. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    New Kids on the Block - NKOTBSB tour in 2012 (really? where has the time gone?) - I finally got to live out my childhood NKOTB fantasies

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rob6 8

Rob6 8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is hard from the time I was 16 to about 24 I can’t even count the concerts I attended. But here goes my guess for now I may remember something I forgot later.
    I saw Led Zeppelin twice in 1973 and 1975 I believe they played for 3 hours and were incredible. A acoustic set particularly stands out.
    Also Bruce Springsteen in about 1977 again played over 3 hours. We were about 10 rows from the front and at one point the big man jumped down and stopped at the end of our row wailing on the sax. The n next thing I know someone is climbing up on the chair in front of me. I look up and it’s the Boss himself. I was blown away!
    Best encore was surprisingly ELO. They crushed “Roll Over Beethoven “
    Alice Cooper and Pink Floyd both had incredible shows

• Like Like x 3
  6. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Band and Dylan 1974 Charlotte.
    I was a senior in HS and a friend agreed to drive put me up at his family home overnight and then to school the next day.
    Little did we know but our basketball coach was 6 rows behind us. He was pissed when we both had our best practice that day (with a wink)

• Like Like x 1
  7. JJLV

JJLV High-Roller

Frozen Tundra. Desert dream died with him.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    God, I am Old. I Can't pick a fav, Don't remember many :) but a little list of my 70's arena concerts. No Particular Order and I know I totally forgot a few but tried to find the big songs of the concerts, at least my memories favorites. Added Videos for the young ones to go oh yeah, I think I heard of that:
    Pink Floyd x2

Eagles and Fleetwood Mac (Hotel California and Rumors tour)

My first ever concert little band named Aerosmith opening for Bachman Turner Overdrive ha

Heart x2... A woman from a child! Magic Man :)

(They opened with this standing around a burning cauldton and... ohhh you had to be there. :) And of course...

Peter Frampton (Gary Wright Opened. 'My love is Alive'. I Watched Video, not bad. I was there for Peter. :)

Ted Nuggent

Doobie Brothers (Beach Boys opened interestingly)

Stones

Styx:

AC-DC

INXS:

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  8. gailtherese

gailtherese Upper Middle Class ?!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tom Petty always gave a great concert and I’ve seen him many times, including his final tour :cry::cry:
    The Who blew me away (twice many moons ago)
    Rolling Stones (2015 on my first day of retirement) - and again next Sunday! :wiggle::wiggle:
    Billy Joel & Elton John when they toured together in 2000
    Ringo Starr two years ago was super fun!
    Warren Zevon was amazing ….
    John Fogerty is awesome in concert as well!

• Like Like x 1
  9. poidawg

poidawg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw U2 on The Joshua Tree tour back in college 5th row center, it was an amazing experience (also 30th anniversary at Rose Bowl which was fun) . 2nd place was Amnesty Now at Oakland Coliseum, again in the front, with Springsteen, Peter Gabriel, Tracy Chapman, Sting(?), others I can't recall but that was epic. Best Vegas concert has to be Prince at Mandalay Bay - we were stupid and skipped an opportunity to see him in an impromptu House of Blues pre-concert but had other plans (heard it was incredible). Best relatively recent Vegas concert was Billy Idol, still rocking and sounded surprisingly good for an old guy!

10. Headache 21

Headache 21 i don't wanna grow up, i'm a toys'r'us kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yea - that's a word that came out of my mouth over and over again lol. and can you believe the ticket was free? my only regret was that I had an opportunity to night one as well but passed because i had a prior engagement. i should have said screw the prior engagement and gone lol.

night one had
    • Jerry Lee Lewis (again)
    • Crosby, Stills and Nash w/ Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne and James Taylor
    • Paul Simon w/ Dion, David Crosby, Little Anthony & The Imperials
    • Simon & Garfunkel
    • Stevie Wonder w/ Smokey Robinson, John Legend, B.B. King, Sting and Jeff Beck
    • Bruce Springsteen w/ Sam Moore, Tom Morello, John Fogerty, Darlene Love and Billy Joel

So, uh, yea. It was quite the show.

Some highlights from the night i saw...

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  11. Mrsgashy

Mrsgashy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Red Hot Chili Peppers 2 years ago, wasn’t close to the stage at all but their energy was felt in the nosebleeds. It was insane!
    Tickets went on sale for a show in Vegas so we made sure to buy pit tickets this time. A year away but I’m stoked!

Runner up: Scorpions and Queensryche at Hardrock in Vegas a few years ago! Makes runner up bc it was in Vegas of course!

12. Cashman

Cashman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Radiohead. The Edge in Palo Alto 1995.

13. pjbear05

pjbear05 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    November 19, 1974, Cobo Arena Detroit. Golden Earring opened, followed by Mountain...
    ...followed by headliner, J Geils Band, who recorded the show as part of the Blow Your Face Out album.

• Like Like x 3
  14. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the Canadians - Tragically Hip - Irving Plaza. New York City, 1995. Basically a converted movie theatre. Front row center as it was general admission.

Jeff Healey, Jeff Beck and Stevie Ray Vaughan. 1989 Toronto.

Stone Temple Pilots opened for The Stones 1994 Toronto. Weiland pitched a fit and threw the mic and walked off the stage. It was beautiful.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kcknox6

kcknox6 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1 Eagles -History of The Eagles
    2 Roger Waters-The Wall
    3Brandi Carlile -Red Rocks w Colorado Symphony

• Like Like x 1
  16. motownbob

motownbob High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was never a huge Elton John fan, my wife wanted to see him. I think it was the early eighties. The concert starts with the opening music of Funeral...Their was a huge cloud of smoke on the stage area. This gigantic Flying Saucer rises , starts spinning , you hear Elton, then the saucer top flips open, Elton is inside pounding away at his piano ! Craziest concert opening I ever saw. He was/is one hell of an entertainer, does ok on the Piano , too.

• Like Like x 2
  17. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pavement/ sonic youth / mudhoney / primus at red rocks.
    We actually rented a car from “ rent-a-wreck”.

Bands were in priority in reverse headliner order, but all were great. Mainly went for pavement. Amazing venue!!

Ladies getaway, somewhere on the strip with a pool :)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. claysp42

claysp42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Billy Joel and Elton John at Milwaukee County Stadium. August of 1994.

• Like Like x 2
  19. AllenAndRossi

AllenAndRossi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A friend produced Reggae Nights one night a month at Limelight in Chicago. He put me and a friend on the list and gave us VIP Room passes.

VIP Room was pretty dead the first couple hours of the evening. We were going in and out to catch the reggae bands performing on stage. At one point, we're going up to go back to VIP. We immediately realized something was up when there were was a large crowd all trying their best lines to get into VIP. Security has them clear a path so that WE could go back in:D

I duck into the men's room in VIP. Not at all fancy...a sink, 2 urinals and a stall. I'm in there by myself, standing at one of the two urinials. The door opens, a large gentleman looks in, gives me a nod, turns his head and says to someone "It's cool," A smaller gentleman walks in and takes his place at the other urinal. He sees the look on my face, so he smiles and says "Good Evening." I respond with "Good Evening Prince."

Yeah, THAT Prince. I let him wash his hands and exit first.

When I return to the main room in VIP and see my friend, he says "I hear Prince is here too!" I said he is here and I just peed next to him. The I ask him, "What do you mean by 'too'?" He points at the front of the room.

Run-DMC. And Aerosmith. With a couple of acoustic guitars.

They do an acoustic jam of "Walk This Way" together. Then a little "Train Kept A Rollin'".

Prince goes up there with a guitar. A mash-up of "Dream On" and "When Doves Cry", all 3 groups together.

All for a "crowd" of 40 people tops.

OK, so maybe it wasn't exactly a "concert". But I've seen well over 100 concerts. Most all rock legends(Stones, Who, Springsteen, Led Zep, etc), as well as the original Benny Goodman Quartet(Goodman, Hampton, Krupa, Wilson), Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, etc. Lots of great memories.

But the whole scene that night at Limelight VIP is ingrained in my mind most.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  20. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mahavishnu Orchestra at Kent State in 1973. So tight. John Mclaughlin was awesome. I think paid $4.50 for 5th row and Frank Zappa came on after them but they were sort of a letdown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.