1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Need Opinion on Computer Issue

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Catzilla, Oct 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a new HP Pavilion a couple months back. So far my only real complaint was that it tended to highlight when it wasn't supposed to. Very touchy. Yesterday something really weird happened with Fox News.

All the videos on the site are inactive. When you click on them you get the screen with the Fox logo and the play button, but nothing plays. This includes videos within articles, shows, everything. Also, all the comments are gone. ALL of them. There is not a single article with any comments. I've checked other news sites I frequent and they are all working, videos included. It I try to play a video on the Fox News Facebook site, they won't play. BUT they will all play on YouTube. And it's not an internet thing, the connection is good.

I did all the obvious. Restored it. Tried 3 different browsers. Cleared the cache. Spent an hour with Costco's computer service and HP's. They went through everything, probably twice. I felt it might be something blocking the site, but they say no, it is a problem with Fox. Well, if that's true why aren't others having the same issue? I contacted them twice, but I doubt I will ever receive anything other than a canned response.

Here's the question. I have 3 more weeks to return the computer to Costco. I would rather have a computer that plays videos on that website, but what if it's a problem with my Microsoft account and I end up with the same thing? o_O Could that happen? I have never even made a comment on the website, so it's not because I was bad like I occasionally am here. :rolleyes: I'm kind of worried...Fox News today...VMB tomorrow! :eek: Would you take the chance that a different computer will work?

One more thing. Today I was on the Ultimate Reward website and it said I had no upcoming trips. Actually, I do. Three of them. I finally called Chase and the customer service rep said no, you don't have any trips. She puts me on hold for a while and while I'm waiting the 3 trips pop up. When she gets back on the phone I tell her thank you for whatever you did, they showed up. Ah...no. She said they still don't show that I have any upcoming trips. WTF :confused: Anyone else having any weird things happening on your computers?

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you have any pop-up blockers or ad-blockers installed? Are you in an environment which uses Enterprise-wide ad blocking?

We have enterprise ad blocking at work and I actually have a smaller test version of it at home (Pi-Hole) and it sometimes blocks videos on some sites.

If not, the first thing I would do is to try another computer, any computer, but logged in as you to create the same environment. Even a smartphone with a browser should be able to verify that your account is working properly.

In my humble (for once) sub-expert level opinion, that's what I would try first. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Wasn't flash support cut off by Adobe recently? Wonder if there's been a fluke with respect to the websites. Just weird that certain elements on a webpage won't render/work

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have 3 weeks to return the computer for a full refund? I would do that. Why take a chance with a computer that may be a lemon? If it happens with the next computer then, yes it was the web sites/ ad blockers or something else. But why not take the computer itself out of the equation as long as you can do it free? What if the computer is a lemon and you're dealing with this for years when you could have rectified it with a refund and new purchase at the beginning? You'd be kicking yourself for years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Foxnews.com is one of those sites where you need to disable your ad blocker, otherwise the videos won't load properly. If their site detects an ad blocker, a popup normally show up telling you do turn off your ad blocker.

I'm a Mac user, but this should apply to Windows users too. I use ad blockers and some sites won't load property if one is detected so I turn it off temporarily and refresh the page, then everything usually loads normally.

If you're using a VPN, that could also cause some sites not to load properly. I've had that happen on a number of occasions too so I have to either connect to a different VPN server or turn my VPN off to get some sites to load normally.

6. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was that English? I'm sooo old.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good idea, @dmr I have a tablet linked to my same Microsoft account and it did the same exact thing, no video or comments. I can get videos to play on my phone and the comments are there too.

8. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'd think there would be lots of people with the same problem if it had to do with Adobe. It is very weird. o_O

9. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree completely, but I think for the next week I'm going to try whatever I can to fix it. I'm afraid now this might carry over to a new computer. English? Huh? :D

10. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I turned off the VPN and it made no difference. Also, my tablet isn't connected to the service, so that can't be it.

I checked for ad blockers and that didn't seem to be it. Also changed security levels to see if a lower one would make a difference. Nope.

Fox was always playing videos while I was trying to read so I would often close them out. I wonder if I somehow closed them out...permanently. But there should be info out there somewhere in forums from others with the same problem. It was weird. It worked, then it didn't. Nothing really transpired in between there. There was a Microsoft update, but I restored prior to it.

11. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Then there's this nice reply from Fox when you fill out their form for assistance. :thumbsdown: So glad they read it.

Thanks for reaching out! This is a quick note to let you know that we've received your message.

For inquiries/concerns specific to Fox Nation, please visit: http://help.fox.com/foxnews

While we're not always able to reply to every message, please know we do read them all and truly appreciate the time you've taken to contact us!

12. midliferetired

midliferetired VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What Microsoft account is this? It’s weird that it carries over to the tablet. I’ve had problems with my Microsoft Windows/Bing account and VPN. Randomly Microsoft would switch my location/regional setting for the account to some other language. I have to go in an change it back to U.S./English. I’m just using U.S. VPN locations but I guess Microsoft gets confused. This is with NordVPN. What happens with some website is I get the this video is not available in your region on some random videos.

Maybe it’s time for a new Microsoft account.

13. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was thinking about that too, but it's the Microsoft account that pulls stuff over to the new computer. I don't get any messages about ad blocker, location, etc., it just doesn't work. I was thinking maybe the McAfee was the problem, but I don't have that on the tablet. Weird.

14. midliferetired

midliferetired VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since the phone works maybe it's because the tablet and computer is going through the router. You also said it happened suddenly. Their network or security provider could've blocked your IP if it detected something suspicious. Rebooting the router might get a new IP. If they are IDing you via cookie, browser, or account that would make it harder to get around. Some routers and VPN software might have security features that could also cause problems with websites. You can try using the tablet on another network to troubleshoot.

• Like Like x 1
  15. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm....this is certainly an interesting response @insin Media disconnected.

Screenshot (27).png

17. raisingoo

raisingoo Medium-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What browser are you using? Some popular browsers that are current these days are Google Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.

If you are still using Internet Explorer (IE), this is bad, because Microsoft has dropped support for this browser and many websites these days do poorly with it. This may be the source of your problem. I can’t say anything about Fox News specifically, because I don’t visit it myself (won’t get political here), but my suggestion would be to try a different browser.

Edge will already be installed on your PC, and you can find it in the start menu.

Google Chrome and Firefox and free downloads from their respective websites:

Chrome.com
    Firefox.com

Hope this helps.

18. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @raisingoo I use Edge, but also tried Firefox and Chrome to resolve the problem. Once I decipher all that media disconnected stuff in the above screen I think I'll have my answer.

19. raisingoo

raisingoo Medium-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK. Best of luck. A couple quick comments:

1) After an ipconfig /release command, the “disconnected” stuff is normal. You will then want to do ipconfig /renew. This will renew your IP address lease.

2) if you haven’t done so already, I would strongly suggest doing all accumulated Windows Updates. You can find this in the start menu (or control panel). These update Windows software and keep your PC secure, modern, and also fix known bugs and issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    does your phone connect to your wifi at home and still work on that site?

Do you login to your Microsoft account on your phone too?

I would lean towards it being an issue with your Microsoft account copying a setting from one device to another, maybe blocking something like Javascript on that site in a browser setting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.