1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Getting to Vegas from Canada

Discussion in 'Coronavirus in Las Vegas' started by JRRestoule, Sep 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ANYTHING (and I mean anything) to avoid Pearson is a win for me. I spent about 7 or 8 years flying almost weekly and Pearson was the bane of my existence. I just detest flying out of there (Did I mention I don't like flying out of Pearson??). Buffalo can be a great option. It is a short drive for us being in Burlington. We can also time border crossings for our flights without much issue. From the initial stages of the plan it seems crossing via land might be cheaper/easier.

2. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My list is
    Flint…when SWA flew direct
    Hamilton…when Swoop flew out of there
    Detroit…SWA…went up in price
    Buffalo…SWA…really went up in price
    Toronto….have hated this place all my life!!!

3. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every time I've ever looked up BUF i found better options at DTW which is an equivalent drive for me.

I may start looking at them again in the future I suppose, although the current ease of getting aeroplan miles is keeping me going through Pearson at the moment. I don't love flying out of Pearson but don't find it the hateful experience others seem to. Although their fees for longer connections are complicating my preliminary april planning.

4. pleasemum

pleasemum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a fan of Pearson either - it lacks customer service, organization, cleanliness and an overall feel of a world class city airport. Whomever is running the ship should be ashamed of themselves. I always wonder what people make of our city and country when they come through Pearson...first impressions would be poor I assume for those who travel regularly.

But I fly out of Pearson - living only 5 minutes away it is the best option. I have done the Buffalo flights and enjoy them but it has to be decent savings to make it worth my while....especially after landing.....the feeling knowing you will be in your own bed in no time.......and this is all reliant on Pearson getting luggage to a carousal in decent time...which is almost never.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Slowpoke 2021

Slowpoke 2021 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew from YVR to LAS on Sept 27. I had to show proof of a negative test but No one asked to see my vaccination record. But that will likely change in Nov.

I flew from LAS to YVR on Oct 5. I needed to upload my vax record to the ArriveCAN app before flying home and the Cdn customs agent looked at the record in the App.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rookies11

Rookies11 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have nailed the present SNAFU status exactly! My friends & I planned to do exactly the same thing. Brian Higgins, the Democratic Congressman from Buffalo believes this is all resolved.

Uhhhh... NOOOOOO! Freeland, the Deputy Prime Minister of Canada confirmed that today in Washington today. NO change in Testing requirements whatsoever, at the present time.

This means that the acceptance of Canadians into America is ONLY for long term Snowbirds! What Canadian family is ever going to cross the Peace Bridge into Buffalo to see the Bills, go shopping or go out to eat in Niagara at a cost of $200 U.S. per family member?

NOBODY! Must get rid of that requirement.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hopefully at least a change to Rapid Antigen test instead of a PCR test then you can grab a test at Shoppers before going to the States and use it for the return trip. Reality is testing for day trippers probably wouldn’t show a positive result even if you did pick up the virus while in the US for the day anyway so it is useless in that circumstance. What really needs to be changed is the PCR test requirement. Because we needed a PCR test within 72 hours when we went to Vegas, we literally tested a few hours after our arrival for our return trip. A Rapid Antigen test taken the day of departure back to Canada would be more useful IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    US opens up for travel November 11, but it's still hurry up and wait for mixed doses.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/u-s-land-borders-to-reopen-to-vaccinated-travellers-nov-8-1.5624368

9. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

The thing is, I totally get it if they want to keep the restrictions as a disincentive for short time tourism and shopping to the US. That isn't exactly economically great for Canada anyway, and if they want to keep onerous restrictions regardless of trip length to discourage day trips that is fine I suppose.

But it is annoying to me the way she framed it as "continuing to follow the science". There is nothing scientific about a test result taken in Canada 2 days before I went telling you i did not get infected in my 7 hours in the states (an infection that would not result in a positive test until two days later).

The only real basis for the policy is practicality and nudging. They can keep the rules clearer without exceptions to the testing, and discourage casual visits, but the actual value of the test in these cases is almost nil.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The star is just posted a report based on these tweets:

https://twitter.com/josh_wingrove/status/1448995424371621911

The U.S. will consider people fully vaccinated if they got any shot authorized by the WHO, not just by the FDA. (So, AstraZeneca counts, for instance.) It's still unclear how they'll treat mixed doses (like AZ + Pfizer).

https://twitter.com/josh_wingrove/status/1449012945229332480

Wee nugget of news, particularly to Canadians and others that have mixed doses: the new U.S. travel policy *will* consider people with mixed vaccine doses as fully vaccinated, I'm told. The U.S. hasn't (yet) started officially mixing but those folks abroad will be able to enter.

So not official yet but looking good. This is a bloomberg white house correspondent who reported it and seems to be only source for Star article.

12. jay2vegas

jay2vegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Thanks! Definitely an encouraging quote, really upped my mood before the weekend. LFG!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Guy_

Guy_ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  14. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
  15. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Guy_

Guy_ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Soo. it sounds like if you are crossing into the US on the land, you do not need a covid test on entry to USA.. (You still need one on return to Canada)
    However if you are flying into the USA.. you still need the test for both ways.

Would be nice to get rid of these now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I just rebooked flights and rooms. The Doomsday clock is now the closest it has ever been since March 2019 to midnight. Things can still be cancelled but, reasonably confident now. I tried booking out of Buffalo but, as mentioned by ? on here, they currently don't have direct flights. I ended up cancelling my December 14 flight and rebooked for November 30 out of Pearson. I used points to go out business class and come back with the pleebs in coach on December 8. I have first three nights in a scenic suite at Delano (first time staying) then last two nights at the Palace - Palace tower petit? suite. Honestly the first three nights will be just to veg. Its been a crazy (covid + life in general) couple years. In the middle, nothing booked but, leaning towards Palm springs for three nights and quick road trip with options to Scottsdale or San Diego. Looking at tickets to Shania, Carrot Top and Shin Lim who are all playing the days we are here. I see Foo Fighters but, that may be a tough sell:( We have gaming/resort credits and from what I understand we get 4 diamond dinner vouchers between us. Now to decide where to blow those. I don't think I will be bringing the clubs but, still a possibility.

Crossing fingers!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  18. mickyblueeyes

mickyblueeyes VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had to show my vaccine card at YVR 2 weeks ago.

19. JRRestoule

JRRestoule VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like the testing site at the Orleans has expanded their hours and are taking reservations up to 4:00pm now. From what I had seen the latest reservation used to be 2:00pm.

https://worksitelabs.com/

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. btodd

btodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it was 2:00 pm latest appointment when we were there on October 8. Glad to see demand present! Our province FINALLY approved pharmacies to give RAT test for travelers. No word on cost yet.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.