1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A bonus TV Thread. Hit TV Shows you felt deserved at least one more Season.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Patrick, Oct 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick

Patrick MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My TV Trilogy is over, but I felt there was one more TV Show aspect I should talk about. This one is going to be my final TV themed Thread.

Hit TV Shows that are Cancelled/Ended that deserved at least one more Season.

Girlfriends deserved at least one more Season. It is a hit TV Show that ended abruptly in Season 8 with no real ending.

Smart Guy is a hit TV Show that definitely deserved a 4th Season or more. But it has been said that Smart Guy Executives felt that Tahj Mowry was beginning to grow out of his,"Cute kid," persona, facially, not behaviorally and felt they needed to end Smart Guy. Tahj was starting to look more like a High School Freshman than the 10/11/12 age kid he was supposed to be. Tahj was about 14 when Smart Guy ended. But I feel it definitely could have deserved at least one more Season as it was still on top of it's game when it was cancelled.

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. RushAndRoulette

RushAndRoulette Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Canceled too soon? Deadwood, after 3 seasons, although the movie they put together softened the blow.

Canceled way too soon? Terriers. That was fun, but its hard to recommend as it is only one season. I'd hope they can reboot it, if they can work around the busy schedules of Donal Logue and Michael Raymond James

Honorable mention for too soon: Greg the Bunny (way ahead of its time). Flight of the Conchords (Although I think they ran out of songs). Police Squad (I could have watched that for years, although the Naked guns tailed off in quality, so maybe it was best it was short lived)

Canceled way too late? Pretty much anything on Showtime.

3. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Las Vegas. Not so much because the show was particularly good at that point, but it ended on a cliffhanger, and I haaaaaate when shows do that. Even a made-for-TV movie would have gotten the job done. It's a prime example of why you never write based on the assumption you'll be picked up for another season (which is why shows like 24 and American Horror Story have it easier, each season is basically self-contained).

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I liked Ray Donovan a lot, and Billions is pretty good too, but otherwise, now that I look at the list, I have to agree. I cannot believe that Shameless was on for 11 seasons.

5. Mirageluvr

Mirageluvr Let's Ride!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would loved to have watched another season of CSI Miami and Criminal Minds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Raven888

Raven888 Watanabe wannabe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think Star Trek: TNG had at least one more good season in the tank.

Vegas Vacation XII
    • Like Like x 1
  7. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I might be the only one on this board who watched it, but Lodge 49 on AMC was fantastic and deserved more than its 2 seasons.

8. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Considering the abysmal finale I'd say Seinfeld to give the writers one more year to end the series appropriately.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Patrick

Patrick MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, Seinfeld's Series Finale was crap. The gang ended up going to Prison. What a depressing Series Finale. As a Season Finale, this would have been okay if it were picked up for next Season and the Next Season Opener was them being wrongfully convicted and being freed and trying to deal with the fact they now have prison records for something they didn't even do. That would have been entertaining TV.

Edit. On a side note, why was Elaine, a woman put in the same cell as her male Friends? She should have been placed in a cell by herself or with only females.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Raven888

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I talked about this is some other thread where the Seinfeld finale was brought up.

The ending with them going to prison actually makes perfect sense. The entire series you see them as selfish, narcissistic people taking advantage of others. At the very end, when they go to prison, you would think, "Okay, maybe now they've learned their lesson," yet you see them sitting in the jail cell having the same conversations from 9 years ago, and at the very end Jerry is doing stand-up in the prison and telling jokes with no self-awareness, like nothing has happened.

They haven't changed one bit; they are still the same selfish people they always were, and always will be. There is nowhere for their character arcs to go, absolutely no lesson they can possibly learn that will change their ways, so the show just ends. Regardless of the actually technical quality of the episode itself, from a story standpoint it totally fits.

Vegas Vacation XII
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You sure take your tv seriously. If we start looking for reality in sitcoms and television programs, there wouldn’t be many left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Raven888

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always just assumed that cell they were all in was just the holding cell for the courtroom.

Vegas Vacation XII
  13. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Friday night lights

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always say that Seinfeld "jumped the shark" on the very last episode. They could have very easily gone several more seasons! IIRC, they said that they wanted to end it on a high note before the ratings declined and a cancellation ensued.

Sometimes I think the sad attempt at the finale was an inside-job attempt at getting back at those who decided to end the series by writing and producing the absolute most absurd sucky ending they could, as in what are they gonna do, fire them all?

They were obviously way ahead of the times. You see attempts now at gender-free restrooms. Why not gender-free prison cells? :) :) :)

But seriously, the one show that I think could have gone for many more seasons, had not a tragic incident intervened, was Alias Smith and Jones, the last western I remember regularly watching and, IIRC, one of the very last westerns on prime time TV.

After one of the lead actors took his own life, they tried recasting the role, but it really did not "work" with the new guy and, again IIRC, they killed the series.

15. Raven888

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jerry Seinfeld himself wanted to end the show. He was totally in charge after Larry David left after season 7. The studio heads begged him to stay and offered him a salary of $100 million for just one more season, but he just didn't want to do it anymore.

And I've said it before, the Seinfeld finale is fairly tame as far as absurdness goes compared to some of the earlier episodes.

Vegas Vacation XII
  16. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree the final episode of Seinfeld was craptastic but one thing it did do well was drive home what a horrible group of people Jerry, Elaine, George and Kramer were….something we regular viewers never really gave much thought to.

17. Renaldow

Renaldow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think Jerry did the ending on purpose. Everyone goes to prison, no hope for another season. End of story.

18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But a spinoff! Jerry and The Gang in The Big House!

19. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Wire.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Frankly, I don't think Jerry and the gang moving to Baltimore for the next set of bad guys would be very good.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.