1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Jon Gruden out as Vegas coach

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by rooster42000, Oct 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are a couple things here that have not been mentioned...

1) Whatever you think about what he said (and for the record I am pretty sure he is a horrible person emails or not but the emails confirmed it) the fact he felt comfortable enough to send these things in an email to someone means he likely knew that he was getting a sympathetic ear. It's not a coincidence that the emails released were mainly ones sent to a guy who hasn't been able to get a job in the NFL for a couple years now. Where are the emails he sent to guys who are currently working in the league because you know there are some out there but the ones released were only to Allen? The leak likely means the league is trying to create a distraction from the other stuff that they are about to find in the WFT case.

2) Where has Mark Davis been the last couple days and why isn't he answering any questions about this? He sent out punching bag Mike Mayock to take the hits but doesn't have the stones to answer questions himself? Gutless.

3) Also, don't dismiss the timing of this all as a distraction to another loss in the courts for the NFL versus St Louis in that case. Yesterday the judge in the case came down on the defendants pretty hard for not producing the records they were told to in time and he is now fining them every day. Yes, a few thousand dollars a day is not a lot to these guys but it's another step in contempt filings as they continue to try and get the case moved anywhere but St Louis in hopes of finding a more agreeable judge and jury.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel pretty confident I have not done anything close to what Gruden has done.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The biggest challenge with Gruden's actions is the timeframe. He was 50 ish years old sending these things out at a time (2011-2018) when people with high visibility jobs and just plain decent human beings understood that the expectation was to not say this stuff. You're emailing these to the work email account of an NFL team senior representative. Tough to feel sorry for him.

It really is illuminating into how he acts and thinks. it's ok to admit failings and grow, but you gotta have some pattern of improvement to keep this sort of role.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. KnotGillty

KnotGillty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gruden, and many others, used to use an old saying about people having 'Rubber Lips'. If it was applied towards you, it meant that you were a liar. That's what the 'Michelen Tire' statement was referring to. Unfortunately, it was used to describe a black mans lies, which obviously crossed a line when it comes to racial sensitivity.

I'm not defending Gruden, just giving some context.

He said many other things in emails to his old buddy Bruce Allen, that were even more offensive in my opinion. Bruce was a Senior Executive with the Raiders during Gruden's 1st stint with the team. After Gruden went to the Bucs, Allen became the Bucs GM in 2004. This is how they became such close friends.

As far as owners being safe in all this, I read a behind the scenes report that indicated the league is looking for, and would love to find, dirt on the current Raiders owner, Mark Davis. The league has a long standing feud with the team dating back to the NFL / AFL merger, as Al Davis was the commissioner of the AFL when the leagues merged. He took over the Raiders and sued the NFL at one point, & won. The NFL never forgets . . .

5. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where did you read that report?

I Need Spa
  6. vegasvp

vegasvp VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very well said.

7. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Obviously, this thread has veered off the original informational topic and into discussions about society in general, which is not really an area of discussion VMB promotes (too many hurt feelings that lean toward the political etc). tried to let this thread run for a while, but I think all the salient points have been made. So time to shut this thread down. For those gamblers and football fans still interested in how the coaching change impacts the Raiders, there are numerous football related threads, including new ones started every week, where you can discuss how the team is doing or how it impacts your wagers :thumbsup:

I Need Spa
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.