1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Jon Gruden out as Vegas coach

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by rooster42000, Oct 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe some day, Microsoft can incorporate an AI feature in Outlook that reviews all business e-mails for racist, homophobic, misogynistic, mean spirited and stupid content and fixes it automatically before sending...I call it The Idiot Checker. If you keep being an idiot, it could even start automatically forwarding those e-mails to HR and eventually just leak them directly to the New York Times. What a time saver!

• Funny Funny x 5
  2. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Khan's action always made more sense as a way to get his name out there to buy the next NFL team. He played nice with the old boys club when he did it, and they made sure he was ready for the Jags.

I said this to someone on Monday: Imagine being 58 and getting fired by a guy in his 50s with a bowl cut.

3. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This already exists, actually! But do you think that an NFL team run by Daniel Snyder would turn this on?

4. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Indefensible. But if in response to Allen’s assessment of another man’s physical features or sexual orientation, lifestyle, etc. he is in a two way conversation which begs to be released. I saw where a release of all emails was requested but could not be complied with due to privacy concerns.
    This is like quoting one 1/2 of a phone conversation. Could be misleading as to who is acting alone and who is in a mutual conversation with similar likes/dislikes.
    I’d love to see a court order. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dr Nostron

Dr Nostron VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if the powers that be have ever listened to or read the lyrics from the artists on their upcoming Super Bowl halftime show?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe Gruden has a future in the music industry. He can rap his e-mails.

7. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wait, you may be on to something. Because at that point it becomes art and normal standards of decency no longer apply. Hmmmmmmmm....

8. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last night I had one of the national network evening stations on.
    At 6:30 eastern, this national news station had this as breaking news.
    Um, aren't we stretching this a bit for breaking news since the resignation happened Monday night?
    At the very end, the reporter broke about Gruden's name being removed from the TB ring of honor.
    If you're reporting on the latter fine, but not the former.
    These national networks tend to STRETCH what is breaking news.

9. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Finally, a job for Clippy!

Clippy.jpg

RICHARD

• Funny Funny x 7
  11. Audible Nectar

Audible Nectar High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess that's what it takes to keep people from putting this stuff in writing then hitting the "send" button. It's one thing if in the heat of the moment something rolls off the tongue, quite another to line that thing up like a golf putt, then hit "send", making it basically a form of "contract" that you signed your name to. Then to make a habit of it, over and over again.

Emails (like anything else you post to the internet) are like diamonds: They truly are forever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You know what, vegasvp, I've come around to agreeing with you. I have always been a "deeds not words" kind of guy, and even though I personally failed that test, I'm not sure Gruden has. Sure, he said a bunch of super-macho, racist crap in emails he only thought one person would read, but, by most accounts, he has treated people with respect (no reports of beating his children like Adrian Peterson or Tyreek Hill, no reports of frequenting massage parlors like Robert Kraft) and in many cases has helped them—see David Shaw, who said that, after his parents, Gruden was the person who most influenced him. Likewise Mike Tirico, who worked side by side with Gruden for seven years and had nothing but praise as did Tony Dungy and Tim Brown.

So, anyway, I'm not saying Gruden shouldn't have been terminated, I'm simply saying human beings are complicated and that they may say or do things that are out of character from time to time.

• Like Like x 3
  13. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've come to see the world this way as well. I'm not saying Gruden doesn't have this side, but it very likely doesn't capture his character entirely.

I knew a man once who was pretty gruff, even offensive on the surface, but I was in a position to watch him do charitable things that literally saved other people's lives over and over again. Some of those people looked and thought like him, but many others didn't. Was he a racist and a homophobe? Probably. But he also did a lot of good. I still have yet to meet the person who is all bad or all good. Most of us are a mixed bag. I hope not to be judged only by my lowest moments and my weakest character traits.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  14. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is plenty of dirty laundry out there…MOST of it is never aired….

15. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Although not a media guy, early in my career I was provided media relations training for a job where I might need to speak to a reporter on behalf of my employer. They taught us that electronic media is always in the present. Always current or breaking news. And always uuse the most dramatic terms. Once you're made aware, you can't help but notice.

They won't report "they had tornados in rural XXXX last night"... it's always present tense "the residents continue to dig out today from the tornados that ....."

Runway 123 is open and once again in use today, after being shut down for four days due to BargainAir flight 666 crash-landing, injuring XXX passengers"

Eight people were shot two days ago is conveyed as "authorities continue to search for suspects....." or "Investigators continue today to delve into the life of ____________ ____________ who shot eight people earlier this week."

The __________________ administration continues to backtrack today after a White house spokesperson revealed XXXXXday that.............

Dramatic language (and avoidance of potential grammatical mistakes) is why everything is impacted and we don't hear about the affect or effects of.... anything. Impact is a word more likely to grab our attention.

......more useless information from the program for pointless posts.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure there are many who do both good and bad. But there are many I can only judge on their bad moments if hate (or sometimes even apathy) negatively affects peoples lives, both physically and/or mentally. The only way I can give forgiveness is if they fix their problem. But sometimes it goes so far that they can't. Being good in many ways doesn't negate the bad things people do. This comment may be vague, but I didn't want to give a specific example of someone who is locked up for a long period of time.

18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We all have done things ...

Yes, perhaps. Still doesn't excuse Gruden or qualify him for a pass.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope, not saying he should be excused. It's just very interesting what we do and don't choose to tolerate these days. Acts that would have merited death or imprisonment just a generation or so ago are completely ignored now, but the wrong thoughts or words end your life completely, at least socially and professionally. Very interesting. And scary.

20. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sadly, equitable repercussions for similar deeds and acts remains a problem for our society.

"Ignored" is a bad choice. Some once-capital or incarceration-punishable acts have simply shown up to have never been worthy of any such level of punishment -- or any punishment. No longer punishing people for marrying across the color line, for instance, is not an act of looking the other way, it's the right fucking thing to do. That's intellectual and cultural growth. I do get what you are saying, however, we are more "tolerant" of some things. We never should be tolerant of the thoughts Gruden harbors -- and utters -- even if it was perfectly acceptable on Main Street a generation or three ago, or in some circles even today, and that's what we are discussing here. He is free to believe as he does. His job simply requires more intelligence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.