1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Does anyone think you're obsessed or addicted to Las Vegas?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by comfortablynumb, Sep 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbondo

jimbondo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it feels good do it.we’re only here for a short time. Enjoy every minute. Peace out.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do 7 or 8 trips a year from the Midwest. people just don't get it and the comments are so ignorant.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Dogs have owners, cats have staff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the challenge I run into with most people. They have a pre-conceived notion of what Las Vegas is, and if I'm going there often, I must be a degenerate gambler and blow all my extra money on hookers!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Second wife, she hated Vegas and would rarely go with me. She always said it was an awful place full of charlatans and weaklings. Whether she married me for my money was always a question among my family, since she was drop dead gorgeous and I was, well, balding, fat and tended to snore. At that time I was going about once a month in the late 90s, early 2000s. Lost a lot of money, but had a magnitude more fun than if I had stayed home. By contrast, in 2008 I lost about 10 times more money in the markets than I ever lost in Vegas and it simply wasn't any fun at all. Upshot, I still pay my ex-wife and I still go to Vegas as often as possible.

Final Four/Santa Anita Derby
    • Like Like x 4
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  5. cjcjcj

cjcjcj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    10% of people understand why I go so often, or at least try to make an effort. 90% don't. I can tell you maybe 99% do NOT understand the comp systems and "game" as we play it.
    I get comments like this, so I don't even bother talking about it anymore:

"The Wynn!?! That's so expensive!! You know where you should stay? Circus Circus. I stayed there 83254918 years ago it was great."

"I prefer to keep my money"

"Oh so you're into hookers then?" (To this I do reply..."No, they're into me!")

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  6. cjcjcj

cjcjcj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People that don't "do" Vegas just don't understand. To me, its entertainment. Some people spend $900 on NFL tickets or a concert. I spend on my Vegas budget.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's true. Most of us don't "get" the loves/obsessions of other people.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. comfortablynumb

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, but I think it's particularly true of the misunderstandings surrounding Las Vegas. Most people can identify with folks who enjoy Lake Tahoe or Lake Havasu. They can identify with those who like the beaches of Florida or Southern California. They can identify with the people who enjoy skiing in Colorado. But there is a singular image people have of Las Vegas and it's one of debauchery.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, as I said, the "Sin City" thing. But also as noted before, I've had some snarky comments here over the years with some of what we choose.

10. comfortablynumb

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Understood. Personally, I find it tiring explaining myself to people who ask me "What do you do out there? Gamble?" Well, yes. A little. I also go to museums, concerts, national parks, and world renowned restaurants. They look at me like I'm from another planet.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. cjcjcj

cjcjcj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pretty "frugal" in almost every walk of life. Turn lights and computers off to save electricity, only buy types of meat that are "on sale" (I can't bring myself to buy a $15 ribeye that was on sale for $8 last week etc..), program thermostat to save on AC/heat when we're working, etc...

Frugal until I get to Vegas :D -- I still seek out bargains and don't pay for $12 gift shop beers, but that's when I loosen the purse strings. (Most vacations too, not just Vegas or a gambling destination).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've been "lucky." Most everyone we know, family or friend, goes to Vegas at least once in a while. A good number of them don't gamble. And of course I don't have at-work peers and haven't for 20 years, and my clients and everyone I deal with are all in the travel/golf/fun sector so they're going to diss something? Come to think if it, even back when I had a corporate gig a lot of us went to Vegas together.

Y'all just need to upgrade your acquaintances.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. comfortablynumb

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're also physically closer to Las Vegas than a lot of us are. Even here in Kansas City, whose history is intimately intertwined with Las Vegas' history, it's a world away.

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our circle spans both coasts.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Sparky4

Sparky4 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go 5-6 times a year, hubby comes with me on 3 of those. My coworkers always ask “when’s your next trip to Vegas?”

Happy birthday to me!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sfgiants13

Sfgiants13 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah my wife.

Although not as much lately. CET has pissed me off enough that I’ve taken a lot of my gambling money to other destinations. Went from ~20 trips in 2019 to maybe 5 this year. A lot of gaming in other cities.

17. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm retired now, but back in the days, I had a few coworkers/acquaintances who thought I was obsessed with going to Vegas. LOL None of them ever visited Vegas or gambled so they thought Vegas was nothing more than just a gambling destination. People who have never been to Vegas, just don't know what Vegas has to offer and it's not just gambling as we all know. For the most part, I never let those naysayers bother me, since where I go or what I do on my vacation was none of their business. :D

Although, those who knew me personally back then was aware that I had family in the Vegas area who I use to visit fairly often, so it wasn't a big deal to them either way. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So you aren’t addicted to Vegas, just gambling.:drunk:Me too :faint:.

19. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me three.

Every month or so my wife says "You gonna start going monthly again?"

Start??????

I always answer "no" since that key word is in there

No reason to go home yet.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  20. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was a running joke at my last job. Granted, it didn't help that it was the kind of company that would try to call you in on vacation days or days off, especially comp days for unpaid overtime, so I often took last minute trips so I couldn't easily get back to the office.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.