1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

GR Steak Tasting Menu Sub

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by chefshaun, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chefshaun

chefshaun Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone requested, or think they would, do a substitution on the tasting menu for Gordon Ramsey's Steak? The whole tasting menu hits the items we want to try most but the first course of Hamachi Crudo does not appeal to either one of us. At the bottom of the menu it states to ask your server about entree options so I was not sure if that pertained to substitutions or what might be available for the tasting menu that day. Thanks for the insights!

• Like Like x 1
  2. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't done the tasting menu at GR Steak, but most places are generally accommodating as long as it's stuff they have in the kitchen. I'd call to confirm, and there may or may not be a charge, but the only place I've ever had a problem was the pizza counter at Eataly, which wouldn't add on some prosciutto because "the chef has a certain vision for his menu" (it's a pizza counter in Vegas and I see the ingredients sitting right there, come on).

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  3. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some prixe fix menus, in particular, you cannot. Some will say "no substitutions" and is the case in a lot of fine dining places, Vegas or otherwise. They are set up that way for a reason, and if you don't like it, you can order a-la-carte.

That being said, you can always call the restaurant and check!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Substituting seems to rather defeat the purpose of a tasting menu, but hey the worst they can say is no.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wasn't going to bother with GR next trip, but might go for that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The people who sat at the table next to ours ordered the GR Tasting Menu. They requested some substitutions and also did some additions. The waiter was very accommodating. That was in December 2020.

• Like Like x 3
  8. chefshaun

chefshaun Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that a tasting menu is typically created to compliment each course. Was just hoping to change one of the four courses. Found on a review website where someone did change some things and just paid an upcharge. May just be something we ask at the table and if they say no, not a big deal. I realize too the menu may change before we even get there. Thanks all for the insight!

• Like Like x 2
  9. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been to Ramsay Steak many times but never had a tasting menu. I've liked Gordon Ramsay Steak but the last two visits it was not up to it's usual greatness. The last time I went I decide to go to Old Homestead two days later and ordered the exact same items and they were hands down better.
    Though I think his AC restaurant still is great. Looking at that menu I think it's over-priced.

10. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a nice meal and touches all of his greatest hits. I had it once when they first opened and again this year. There is something formulaic about the way it is presented, nothing new under the sun, it has been very similar for a long time and they are just going through the motions. Worthwhile if you have never had it. I liked everything but the scallops were quite small and overcooked last time. If you are not in a rush, tell them, or things will move along very quickly.

It is not really a bargain or even much different pricewise from ordering a la carte, so I bet they would allow you to sub out the crudo for a shrimp dish or maybe a foie gras dish for an upcharge.

11. Maxbet

Maxbet JACKPOT!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dined at GR once a few years back and certainly enjoyed the food. Ambience not so much, seemed very loud. That said, I am interested in the tasting menu and think I will give it a shot next week.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.