1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Flight cancellations? Trying to decide between Spirit & a mainstream airline

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by julia, Sep 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renaldow

Renaldow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

At Portland it's usually 2-3 a day, depending on the day, maybe more on the weekend. I would imagine Seattle is about the same, but since I don't fly from there I don't look up flights from there.

2. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is a better frequency than they have to some of their other destinations, where they may only have 4 flights a week

3. Renaldow

Renaldow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Frontier has a similar number of flights, I think they may have one or two more. They run like bus service. Almost every major airline here also has multiple daily flights to Vegas or up and down the west coast from SoCal to Vancouver, BC. So with a major kerfuffle like Spirit and American had in August, I'm not worried about being trapped or stuck. Worse comes to worse, it's 800 miles. I've driven it a couple of times before, I can drive it again lol.

4. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Outside their numerous problems a few weeks ago, I cant tell you the last time Spirit had major cancelations. I usually fly them/Spirit based on many of the reasons you mentioned. From Cleveland to Vegas, Spirit/Frontier is the cheapest, has the best times, and offer non-stop compared to SW which all have layovers at 6x the roundtrip price.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, although that's a decision that generally isn't available for someone flying from somewhere like Chicago, where it's a 30+ hour drive.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Renaldow

Renaldow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, it's not. But the OP is from the NW like me, not Chicago. Flights work differently on this side of the Rockies, I think. It seems most everything here hits Vegas or SLC then one of the 3-4 major west coast airports that fly across the Pacific.

7. Chrisbeans

Chrisbeans High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve never flown with Spirit, though the “low cost” always intrigues me. I have to fly with at least a carry-on so when I price it out, the savings is usually minimal compared to Alaska or SW (I’m in PNW).

I prefer the service of Alaska Airlines and have never had an issue with a flight to Vegas. I’ve used SW to Vegas and have had to deal with delays of more than an hour more than a few times - most recently in August where the departure was delayed by about 3 hours.

8. Catboiler

Catboiler Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband, MIL, and I got screwed by Spirit in March. Our flight was around 2p on a Sunday. At 8p on Saturday, I got a text that our flight was cancelled. Called customer service, they didn't know why. Tweeted, they didn't know why. My pessimism, at first, made me think we were bumped for higher paying people and I vowed never to fly Spirit again. We had booked the flight for about $56/roundtrip/each. After discussing it with my MIL, she graciously offered to pay for SW last minute, which was over $600 each. SW & the budget carriers are the only ones that fly nonstop between IND and LAS, which is why those are usually our choice. The Southwest flight left about an hour after hour original Spirit flight, so we didn't lose much time.

It turned out the Spirit flight was cancelled because of a plane mechanical issue. So, not 100% their fault and it did make me feel about 10% better about the situation. Spirit emailed me several food vouchers totaling over $200. So we ate well at the airport. Fun thing - you can add them to your starbucks app like a gift card!

We're flying Spirit again in a few weeks. I was hesitant at first but there was a significant fare difference. It's not that I'm cheap or frugal, I just hate wasting money. And to me, if the same flight on Spirit is $28/leg and Southwest is $139/leg, I'm buying the the Spirit. I dont care about extra leg room or free snacks & Coke. We do often do 2 one-way flights. That just usually depends on time. That's what we're doing next month - Spirit there and Southwest home. I guess here's hoping Spirit doesn't have any issues again.

Birthday Vegas
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 462Hookies

462Hookies Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a spirit flight booked 10/19 out of Philadelphia to Vegas wheels up at 630am, got an email the other night that they changed the flight to leave the same day but at 1130PM, so blow the entire first night in Vegas. They had no other direct flights that day so I cancelled the flight and rebooked with jetblue, last time I try to save a few bucks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. julia

julia VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One point I hadn’t considered until a comment here was the return. I have a can’t-miss work event the day after I get back. A late cancellation would be really bad.

After checking the schedules, it’s either Delta or Alaska that should work best this time. I guess I could go crazy and bring a roll-aboard bag!

• Like Like x 1
  11. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In that case I wouldn't book the last flight out. Also like mentioned above look to see if those airlines have later flights if yours is canceled.
    (Or other airlines they have interline agreements with)

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. rourou

rourou subterranean roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check @ffejry trip report, he was supposed to fly home today on Spirit and his flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues…but after they had already boarded and pushed back from the gate…

• Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My partner and I had a race last year. He took Spirit, I took Alaska. Both were set to leave at the same time, coming home to SEA from Vegas. He got home on time, I was 5 hours late. For a flight from SEA-LAS, I would not hesitate to take Spirit. Now if it was to Hawaii, or some other far flung destination, I would be wary. Southwest is having some serious issues with flights being cancelled. I have not had a single Spirit trip late or disrupted, out of about a dozen. Alaska has been terrible lately, with 3 of my last 4 flights significantly delayed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This happens on every airline if you fly them enough. When they pop any number of maintenance alerts, they have to resolve them before take off.

I have had a mainline flight abort mid takeoff within the last 3 years. Amazingly, we didn't deplane, and actually ended up taking that gear on our flight

15. TriggerMN

TriggerMN The Norwegian Hammer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    *Says Spirit is a top 5 airline for on time performance
    *Immediately follows with graph listing Spirit at #6
    :kill:

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Legion

Legion High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most here understand the graph and my top 5 statement deal with domestic carries.. For some like yourself I could of been clearer.. I’ll try to do better

17. DsqrdDGD909

DsqrdDGD909 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mjames you are a genius!

• Like Like x 2
  18. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I could only get my wife to agree :)

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
    • Funny Funny x 5
  19. julia

julia VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ended up with a Delta booking, solely because the departure times worked better for my schedule. I think Spirit has reduced their flights from SeaTac; there were few options. Didn't love paying the extra $100, but it's a cost of travel these days I guess. I'll probably still just bring my little 30L backpack....I think I rival @ffejry for being an ultralight packer.

In other news, now I have hotel & flight booked, I can start to get excited about this upcoming trip.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown Spirit to Las Vegas several times out of both Milwaukee and Chicago, and the flights have always been on time. Last flight on Southwest, the return was delayed about 5 hours. As my Spirit flight was boarding in early July, a dispirited guy from San Diego had had his Southwest red eye flight cancelled and he was stuck in the airport until 6 am.

Now, Spirit's seats are like something in a subway and they are sticklers for bag sizes and fees, but if you know their rules, it's a bus in the sky that will get you where you need to go on the cheap.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.