1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Attending a wedding during a pandemic

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by LB9, Sep 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am back in the office full time...the weekend before I started this job, it was fat pants shopping day at the mall

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas you can move away from people if circumstances aren't right.
    You had to fly masked, taxi masked, yada yada.

200 person Indoor wedding during a pandemic is kinda asking for trouble.
    Will they Stay masked? No. They will eat, drink, dance, take pictures....
    Plus you get friends & family wanting to Hug it up....:eek:

And having to drive 10 hours on top of that?o_O

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. parallax

parallax High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would bail. My niece is doing a destination wedding in Mexico in three months and I said thanks but no thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, unfortunately, happy wife and to be fair, she's cool with me taking Vegas and AC trips solo (she's not a gambler) so, it looks like I'm driving to Banana to pick up a slightly less-smaller pair of pants.

Wish us luck, both me and these poor pants lol.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have relatives in the East Liverpool/Steubenville areas... I'm hip to the social climate of that area. (Note: I have no idea if this is from Eastern Ohio, but only cause they didn't think of it first.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s your choice but I’m offering these thoughts.

My personal belief is that there are two events you should make every effort to attend: (1) weddings and (2) funerals. If you don’t have a good excuse for skipping it, then you’re basically telegraphing that X person is not that important to you. JMHO

It’s different during a pandemic you say. Well I say you’re vaccinated and you were willing to expose yourself to whatever was swirling around in Vegas when you went. I don’t think my wife would be able to reconcile the hypocrisy but maybe yours will.

Would you have your qualms about going if this was pre covid? Or does covid give you a better excuse for not wanting to go? Not judging you. I know going to my wife’s events for friends and family sucks but I just bite the bullet. Wife has to do the same.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  7. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been traveling fairly often since about a year ago, and largely lead my life on a pre pandemic basis. The key word is largely. I just attended a friend’s funeral this past weekend, and will fly up to my nephews wedding in a few weeks.

That being said, I try to take reasonable precautions. I get takeout while I’m in Vegas, and try not to play next to anyone whenever possible. For the funeral, I sat with a couple of people who I knew were also vaccinated and I skipped the traditional post funeral meal.

I can’t tell you what to do. Only you can make that decision. However, even as a single guy, I am well away of the expression, “Happy wife, Happy Life”!

• Like Like x 1
  8. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please update this thread letting us know how it all went ! GL!!

9. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will do! Found slightly less tight pants lol, let's see if I make it back in one piece (or more importantly, the pants make it back in one piece lol).

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. HHFan

HHFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My younger sister (20s) has attended 3 weddings during the pandemic. All 3 quickly became entirely maskless affairs once things got rolling, and every single one resulted in positive tests for attendees. I personally wouldn’t go near a wedding right now, maybe an exception for immediate family, but even then I wouldn’t be taking my kn95 off and would be spending as much time outside as possible.

I shut off all of my, admittedly very limited, social interactions as things exploded down here in Florida. Life had different plans thought. I had to attend my grandfather’s funeral up north right as two of my employees tested positive. I didn’t take my mask off outside my hotel room for those 36 hours, and was mocked relentlessly for it by the “responsible” members of my family. I can only imagine how untenable it would have been if my family leaned anti-vax/mask.

Then I had to attend a visitation here at home this week for my employee that lost her young spouse to covid. A wonderful “Masks Optional - We Respect Your Rights” sign awaited me on the door of the funeral home, but thankfully the family made their mask requirement known as soon as you stepped in. I still wouldn’t have gone anywhere near an indoor space crowded with hundreds of masked people if not for the significance of showing my support for her.

For me, a wedding is way down the depth chart compared to funeral. These folks have the option of delaying their celebration or adjusting it for the times, so I’m not gonna feel bad for opting out.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. AllenAndRossi

AllenAndRossi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't particularly like going to weddings at any time, let alone during the current situation.

And the situation you are describing, a 10 hour drive, people you aren't particularly close to, a "wedding" for people already married, and Ohio...um, no. HELL NO!

Start spending time in the bathroom NOW. And OFTEN! You have diarrhea. REALLY BAD diarrhea.

No one questions diarrhea.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, a wedding is way down the depth chart compared to funeral. These folks have the option of delaying their celebration or adjusting it for the times, so I’m not gonna feel bad for opting out.

Suppose the original date was October, 2020 and was rescheduled once due to the pandemic to October 2021? Suppose the father of the Bride has already kicked up $24k to the country club and is hoping that the place is still in business on the new date? Suppose your daughter spent about $2000 as a bridesmaid on a friend's wedding pre-covid; when said daughter plans a wedding and asks her friend to return the favor and be a bridesmaid, she flakes out and cancels 4 weeks before the wedding blaming covid? Suppose your brother and sister in law send regrets because they have to self quarantine for two weeks to prepare for a trip to see their only son, grandkids, and a bitch of a daughter in law who is pulling the strings? (the only son teaches at a college, the granddaughter attends school, and my brother and sister in law are flying down in an aluminum tube with 120 other masked souls). Suppose you have a quirky neighbor who doesn't believe in any vax including the ones that are administered as a child; she is asking for an empty chair to her one side so as to reduce her risk of being breathed upon?

Fuck it all, an invitation is not an obligation. I'm going to pay for x number of heads and ask the country club to kindly donate any uneaten food to a shelter. At times like these you know who your real friends are and so far, every one of my buddies plans on attending.

And if my sister in law doesn't attend the ceremony in the last pew wearing a mask, she can forever eat a bag of dicks. She lives 4 miles from the church.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  14. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I appreciate you sharing this perspective. I read your post and was mulling over how to rate it. Like? Love? Informative? Wow? Doesn’t appropriately capture my thoughts.

I’ll just say, I feel for you and your family. On the one hand, it’s a special and significant day for many involved. A day you want to share with friends and family. It can be stressful and really expensive with deposits (some non refundable) and such.

On the other hand, there’s covid and everyone has their own stance on this in regards to large gatherings such as a wedding.

I hope it all goes well. Best wishes to you and your family!

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. TableToddyy

TableToddyy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think @hammie hit the nail on the head. You knew about the wedding months ahead of time. You knew it was a 10 hour drive when you RSVP'd. They put out a lot of money for you to attend. Suck it up and go. If you're uncomfortable about the mask situation, head back to the hotel, put on your bathing suit and enjoy a day there with some drinks but at least you've taken care of your obligation.

Talking about the clothes is just too funny. I have one suit. I haven't worn it since before covid and about +20 lbs ago. I have a step-neice's wedding to attend in March so I'll have to buy a new suit for then, possibly new shoes as my only pair of leather shoes is dust-covered in the back of my closet. Do they still fit? Who knows. I'll try it all out in February. See? I know about this 10 months before the wedding. I already have the airline tix to PHX, rental car, and hotel reservations (and extended reservations for a week in LAS). It's an obligation. I'm dreading finding out what my waistline is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I’m here and zero masks indoors, lot of people in close quarters. I just put my mask on and told my wife that, frankly, I didn’t feel particularly uncomfortable with the situation,

I think she realized that, notwithstanding she’s close friends with the bride, that I was not embellishing. This was for the welcome party and while I wanted to be social, I hung out briefly and went back to the room. I’m sure people will hassle me, and I did say hi to the happy couple, but I’d rather not get sick.

While I do have bigger pants for the wedding tomorrow, I may be in trouble again since DoubleTree hotels apparently give away unlimited cookies and after a few glasses of Caymus, I have zero self control. If these pants don’t fit, this one is also on me lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perfectly handled.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  19. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At the end of the day, I’d rather have folks give me a hard time and have less chance of getting sick than the alternative. For what it’s worth, the welcome party sucked. If you’re going to drive 5+ hours each way to the middle nowhere, I was expecting more. Fingers crossed the reception tomorrow isn’t garbage, but I’m inclined to think it will be subpar food and super spreading.

Great holiday weekend forthcoming lol.

• Like Like x 1
  20. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do they still warm the cookies?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.