1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Big Ten/Pac-12/ACC Conference Alliance

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by Gus, Aug 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gus

Gus High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    well over the weekend big ten with ohio state leading the charge is in talks with pac 12 and ACC to do a alignment?

I see the east coast acc/big ten working but where will the pac 12 fit in other than nostalgia rose bowl game rematches?
    IF i were the pac 12 i would add a mid season "flex" like nbc does and add a saturday night main even type vs anyone on a roll too.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-big-ten-acc-pac-12-in-high-level-discussions-about-forming-alliance-sec-texas-oklahoma-big12-014814192.html

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oregon has for years sought out such big out-of-conference matchups. What has been interesting is the number of SEC teams who refused because of a home-home requirement.

For those not out here, CFB is different in the far west, which is why some might claim there's little to no legitimacy in the inter-mountain region and taking Oregon out of the mix the past two decades -- since the middle of Bellotti's reign -- USC's history and Don James, there is little credible football to the Pac. Well, so be it, attitudes are different. Now certainly the bigger programs don't want to back down or back out which is why something "super" will happen. Just the nature of the new best, as noted here.

3. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd suggest not wanting to, and not being able to are two different things. Most colleges financially need 7 home games. Many are contractually and legislatively required to play instate rivals out of conference, which gives them only 6 home games every other season. Those schools are not going to, and really can't, schedule home and home against anyone. This isn't an Oregon or Pac 12 specific issue. The SEC doesn't need an OOC loss when their in conference SOS is (mostly) strong. The B1G has several instate OOC obligations. Notre Dame already has its rivals on the West Coast.

The direction of OOC started to change a little, but as we went forward and found out that SOS didn't matter as much as we thought it would, it's leveled off. It's a lot better than it used to be, and that's pretty obvious as there have been many compelling early season match ups in recent season, and will be this season as well. The scheduling alliance might make this different going forward. But it's not as if most teams just simply refused to play other teams OOC.

4. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So this seems to be headed pretty much where I indicated it would. Academics, a voting block on the issues I previously mentioned, scheduling OOC, and getting some West Coast teams badly needed exospore in EST and CST.

5. Gus

Gus High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. bigalbr

bigalbr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not as interesting as you think. Money matters and Oregon won't pay. It was controversial for LSU to give up a home game in 2011 to go beat the crap out of Oregon in Dallas, but at least it was close enough to Louisiana for the diehards to go to the game and the money worked. Nobody will accept giving up a home game to go play in Oregon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From the folks talking sports here in town, this alliance is mainly a way to throttle the SEC juggernaut in football from earning more money in the college football playoff. With the clout the 41 schools have, they can nix any expansion of the CFP from 4 to 12, which would probably include 2 or more SEC team each year, thus keeping more money out of the SEC pockets. Though, I see that as short sighted since there could be years that other conferences could get 2 or 3 teams into a 12 team payoff, er playoff as well.

One of the other side effects that was talked about was, if the CFP doesn't expand to 12 teams, it makes it harder for Notre Dame to get into the playoff field with only 4 teams getting in. With that kind of pressure, it could force Notre Dame to look toward joining the ACC in football.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/08/24/big-ten-pac-12-acc-announce-conference-alliance

8. azbob

azbob MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are plenty of SEC and ACC schools in smaller towns and on game day, the entire town and surrounding area are huddled around the stadium. In the PAC12, there are a lot of small/mid-sized cities (Tucson, Boulder, Eugene, Corvallis, Salt Lake, Pullman) where the local team is an afterthought unless having a big winning season. (Oregon an exception). Put that together with the pacific time zone and multiple years of lousy football and the conference really isn't bringing much to the table. Their problem is the geographically desirable Mountain West conference is pretty much outside the Power Ten. Let's poll Ohio State after they have to travel to Pullman for a 9pm cst start on a Saturday night.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I wrote elsewhere, there just is something to life out West where the local CFB team is far from the only "game" in town.

10. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm looking forward to the scheduling, albeit several years down the road before anything comes of it. It would be really cool if schedules kind of went:

1: Play your division games (every season)
    2. Play inter-conference crossover game (every season opponent from the other division, home and home/one year in between games)
    3. Play one opponent from both other conferences (every season, home and home/one year between games). I would leave who you play up to the AD's, that way you may start developing some rivalries.
    4. What's left can be for cupcakes or rivalries.

Side note, I don't get what the hate is on Pac-12 football from east coasters... One my favorite parts of the season is at the end of the day when I come home from a game, ordering some delivery, putting in one last bet, and drifting away in my recliner watching some west coast action.

11. Dr Nostron

Dr Nostron VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the late saturday night west coast game. Perfect way to unwind from day of drinking and gambling

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.