1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Let’s help each other with car rentals

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by buckeyetodd, Jul 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luv2cruise

Luv2cruise Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was able to book prepaid Avis 5-day rental for 315 CAD for an intermediate car, it was the best deal so far I could find

2. yooperguy

yooperguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will have to check on that insurance issue, thanks for the heads-up. I am located about 20 miles north of Iron Mountain out in the puckerbrush. Tell me more about the Turo "shuttle". I didn't see that mentioned anywhere. The only shuttles I am aware of are to the car rental center on Gillespe and Warm Springs.

3. motownbob

motownbob High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked Turo for a September trip. The car I selected offered "Delivery" to the airport. I found out after booking that they can't do that, and have a shuttle that picks you up at the airport and takes you to the car. This will vary by the particular deal you made. Some offer delivery, some not.
    Spent a fair amount of time up there around Baraga , not too far away.

Here is the info I got from the car provider I chose :

LAS will Not Allow Direct Delivery to the airport. We will provide you a Private Shuttle From/To LAS with a professional driver to the vehicle, at Our Office. Skip the huge lines and get no-wait pickup at the rideshare area.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. yooperguy

yooperguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. steveks225

steveks225 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a LAS trip 4 weeks from tomorrow. After somewhat of a dip in prices from Costco Travel in the last 10-14 days where I rebooked and saved $80,it's risen about $40 since then. At least there's enough time for another price drop and for one of these outfits to panic if they are going to miss their forecast.

6. FABismonte

FABismonte Tell my wife I am "about even."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are smart to book. I recall when prices would drop about two weeks before the rental but nothing like that for the last year.

7. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Taxi/ uber info.
    I cancelled my Rental car Sunday cuz only staying 2 nights, and price was still too high for the pickup/ dropoff/ fillup, hassle.
    I found Taxi line from airport, was small, so didn't bother with uber.
    I like the taxi Zone pricing now.

Used taxi once on Monday, No wait for taxi line at Bell.
    But when I left Tues Am, there was a convuluted taxi line... LONG wait.... Like 3 lines merging....mayhem.
    I complained to 2 diff Bellagio employees outside, that somebody needs to take control of Taxi lines?

It Didn't seem to bother them, so I immed headed to Uber waiting area!
    My uber was there in ONE minute.

Results can be mixed when to use Taxi vs. Uber/Lyft?
    But still glad I cancelled rental car last min.
    And think it cost me less in the long run. YMMV

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. callahanha

callahanha Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just returned from a Vegas trip 9/5 - 9/11. I used a corporate code that I found online and reduced my cost for the week to $192. I picked up and dropped off to the Budget on West Tropicana across from the Orleans. Even though they sent me an email stating I would need business card, company email, etc, no one checked and I was in the car within 10 minutes of arriving as there was no line.

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any shuttle for TURO will be tied to individual renters. The cars can be at someone's home, their office, or maybe even a business like place. Some people are renting multiple cards. Most are individual owners.

As to U-Haul. I tried that on a recent trip to Montana. UHaul called that day and said they were out of trucks/vans. Be aware.

10. Mistaspakles

Mistaspakles Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What code did you use?

11. callahanha

callahanha Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  12. MrPFromChicago

MrPFromChicago Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not the OP, but I have State Farm. Emailed my agent who replied my policy does cover Turo so I went with them (YMMV depending on your policy). Was originally going to rent from the airport through Costco, but decided to splurge a bit and went with a Tesla since SF will cover it. Little more expensive, but I've always wanted to drive one and see how they are and don't have to worry about gas.

13. Eleven99isFine

Eleven99isFine VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pro tip -- if you rent from Avis, sign up for the preferred program. You don't have to wait in line at the big airports- just go to the preferred desk in the garage. Doesn't cost anything and it'll make that corporate rate experience a lot easier. Also, if you use one of these rates, you better know which company it belongs to. All the agent has to say is, "How's it like working for Company A?" and you're done if you have a clueless look on your face.

14. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Budget website says the LAS location is open 6am-1am now, closing at 1am as you mentioned. What happens if you need to return your car before 6am for an early flight? You can still pull in and leave it with the keys if you need to be there at 5am?

15. tfcoach72

tfcoach72 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually a Dropbox at the rental center counter, if not at drop off lane. Just fill out envelope with mileage, gas level, and maybe time. Then put in box with keys—-

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Just a getaway! On the Gulf Coast—
  16. cjcjcj

cjcjcj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm considering renting a car next trip as I will fly in a day or two ahead of my wife to get some things out of the way that she doesn't usually partake in(long VP session, craps etc..). I will pickup a car from LAS the day she arrives so I can pick her up curbside. I'm guessing Friday AM will be OK as far as lines and waits go? I booked a good deal at Dollar thru Priceline, found on Autoslash, and put my Dollar Rewards number in to hopefully speed things along?
    This will be only the third trip in 25 I have rented a car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.