1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone else purposely avoiding Vegas?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by chef, Jul 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegas superfan

vegas superfan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Coffee, dining and taxis.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jsmile898

Jsmile898 Addition By Subtraction and Better Off

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been avoiding Vegas, especially since all direct flights have been cancelled and all the restrictions for canadians to go and come back. However, it has been over 575 days since I've been in vegas and i need a break!

3. Audible Nectar

Audible Nectar High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty much - it's hard to see Vegas as anything but a Petri dish right now. Current numbers out of Nevada bear this out. Couple this with the fact that the crowds are going to be, by their nature, more risk-taking and carefree about certain precautions, so it all adds up to "avoid", at least to date.

We have a trip planned for Halloween, but that trip is very much in flux and dependent upon conditions on a number of fronts leading up to that time. The trip involved booking/purchasing of show and accommodations at a time when this all looked a lot more positive; we will evaluate as we get closer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't say so much avoiding as waiting. I only go in fall and spring anymore, so Oct would be the earliest. Once restrictions are lifted and my left knee is fixed, it'll be a go. At this point, another six months is nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HighLimitorBust

HighLimitorBust Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't been avoiding per se, but I did cancel my trip for the end of this month. Part of that is due to having some knee issues, so I can't walk around for hours and hours and hours like I typically enjoy doing, but the long waits, having to do reservations as a solo diner, service impact, and hearing that Aria (my home base) isn't maintaining as well made me feel like I wasn't going to get quite the same ROI as before. I will probably venture out there in October when hopefully I'm doing better and things go back to being a bit more normal.

6. thebeachbum

thebeachbum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I"m not avoiding. I'm just not going to Vegas until Vegas returns to normal. Not the "new normal". I want normal. No restrictions. Fully staffed. Great service. I can get restrictions, limited staffing, and poor service where I live. I don't have to travel to Vegas to get it.

Need a good trip this time
    • Agree Agree x 9
  7. rm22

rm22 Gym Junkie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2 great places to play at.

8. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hadn't been, but I am now. For some, not all, of the reasons you mention, and some other reasons. It's a personal choice for everyone, and the reasons are as numerous as there are grains on sand on a beach. I don't think there is a wrong answer to your question.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've filled our dance card will all manner of other getaways.

10. Necrochaos

Necrochaos VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm tired of the strip raising their prices and not giving it's customers more. They are like Disney to my wife. 10 years ago she could go to Disney, not break the bank and have a good time. Now it's $100+ to get into the park, pay for parking, possibly pay for Fastpasses (being tested in Paris and Land) and food is crazy expensive. Even with both of us having good jobs it just seems so expensive to go to Disney. So we don't go. We go other places. But people are still going to Disney and even if they raise prices, people will still go.

The strip seems the same to me. Resort fees go up, parking is expensive, drinks aren't full poor, comps are going down, food prices going up. Why would I want to subject myself to that? So our solution is to stay in the free rooms on the strip and gamble downtown and offstrip. That's how I justify it. I'm looking forward to our Laughlin day in Vegas more than I am our gambling day (notice the singular) on the strip. $15 tables, bad payouts, etc.

I enjoy going TO Vegas, but I don't enjoy all of Vegas.

• Love Love x 1
  11. INABIAL

INABIAL Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been 3 times this year, April, May and July. I'm not going back now until Thanksgiving week. I thought about squeezing in a short Labor Day trip, but just don't want to fight the crowds. Thanksgiving week is one of the mellower of the year which is exactly what I'm looking for after the July trip. Just too many people in the summer RN.

12. zoey11

zoey11 Mid roller and Vegas fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Went in June, and have trips booked Sept and Nov.
    For me, we are watching the numbers. If they skyrocket we will cancel.

It is a pain to find places to eat now, but that wouldn't keep me from going.
    For us, if the mask mandate is removed and numbers are too high, we will also cancel.

We don't go to clubs where I have seen videos of people not wearing masks and crammed in, or concerts, or even downtown at night on
    a weekend. We have to be careful as our ages and health merit that.

So Vegas is a melting pot of what if's and what works for each person. We just take a wait and see attitude and book comped rooms,
    use southwest rewards so it's easy to cancel if we feel we need to.

Hopefully, in time, it will get better and get back to the normal vegas we all love!

13. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess in a way we have been avoiding Vegas for a while now. We had a trip booked last year at the end of March just before the shutdown so that went out the window obviously. We have been able to fly into the US throughout the pandemic, but mandatory quarantines and quarantine hotel stays added more complexity and cost than we could justify. Just before the official announcement of removal of quarantine hotel stays and easing of restrictions for those fully vaxxed I decided it was time to return to our happy place. Booked a Sept trip.

I had to admit that initially the announcement of the mask mandate combined with climbing case loads made me question whether now was the time to return. In addition reports of difficulties (reservations being needed) of easily finding food also weighed on my mind. We almost always fly by the seat of our pants as far as food goes. I've come to realize that it isn't a deal breaker though. Putting all these factors together it is time to head back!

We won't be going DT though. It was never really a highlight of our trips anyway and maybe is our age but seeing some of the pics of Freemont under the canopy right now just doesn't appeal to us for now.

We fully recognize Vegas won't be the Vegas we loved visiting, but truthfully very few places look the same as before this all unfolded. We will adapt and we will still have fun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    October was my "comeback" trip, but I cancelled. I still have a December trip on the books that is deemed a Nevada-Arizona combo for about 15-20 days.

If I calculate correctly, I can get the booster in November and should be good to go - provided CDC and states say so. We will see.

15. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've definitely been avoiding Vegas for a multitude of reasons, Covid being top of the list. Maybe after a third shot. However, after spending last Thursday at Hard Rock in Tampa "the urge" to return to Vegas after a year and half is stronger than ever. Interestingly, Hard Rock dropped mandatory masking days after my visit in May, yet the infection rate in FL is now setting new records. Go figure!

16. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please don't send more people to AC. That's where I usually get my fix. I don't want to have to compete to get on the VP machines I like.
    I have a Vegas trip in October, I'm hoping that's the week that people go to AC.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. alexm

alexm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I completely understand that sentiment and there are a few times where the once specific machine I like is occupied, but no matter how packed I have seen AC, I have always been able to find a machine, and we have been there for 4th of July, airshows, super bowl, march madness, memorial day, labor day. I feel like even when it's packed, it's still fairly spread out. I would love to see more people from this board and other gamblers start frequenting AC to continue building it back up.

I also like that NJ is about 13% more vaxed than NV

• Like Like x 1
  18. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @alexm I love AC, but you know what I don't like? The fact that I have to pay $40 in tolls for the "privilege" of driving on New Jersey (and Delaware to be fair) roads. What's worse is that NJ tolls actually went up during the pandemic. Love the mentality of socking it to people when thousands are dying and, at the time when this occurred at least, people were out of work left and right.

I would go far more, notwithstanding the 3+ hour trip, if it weren't so damn expensive to drive on roads in that damn state. Is it asinine I have a problem blowing a grand or two in a weekend but not spending a few $20s on tolls? Possibly, but NJ is just awful when it comes to nickel and diming on, well, frankly everything. The food is very good though lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. alexm

alexm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @LB9 Our tolls are probably about 50 bucks total coming out of pa since we take a toll road there as well and have the bridge toll coming back in. In NJ I think my total in tolls is only about 5 or 6 bucks. However I spend more than that to park at the airport to fly to Vegas so for me it's all offset. We have no public transport to any of the airports nearby.

20. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rescheduling my October trip to December in the hopes things will be looking better. Don't want to have to wear a mask and want fewer people around. Hope to have had my 3rd Pfizer shot before trip. Going week after NFR ends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.